All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Another colonoscopy question/also concerned
      #240810 - 01/23/06 11:12 AM
DWS

Reged: 01/10/06

I'm scheduled for the same exam soon. My concern is about pain after taking the drugs the day before the exam.to clean out my system. It just makes sense to me that this process will be painful. Anything that will cause my gut to work like that has to be painful. Especially someone with IBS-D symptoms.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another colonoscopy question/also concerned new
      #240816 - 01/23/06 11:19 AM
rox53

Reged: 02/23/04

That's my fear too. I would think that there would be cramping because it will be D to get all the stuff out.

The doctor said there is no cramping but he doesn't have IBS. So I don't know what to believe.

#240820 - 01/23/06 11:27 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Do a search for "Colonoscopy prep" and you'll find some good ones on this site! I have pain pre-dominant IBS-D and I hate the prep; it usually takes me a month to slow down my system afterward.

Opt for semi-concious sedation. I've had 2 without any sedation whatsoever and for the second one they had to stop the proceedure because I started hyperventallating and had a seizure because of the pain. For my last one, I don't remember a thing except for a small snippet-- perfect.

What I didn't do on my last one and I'm going to do for my next one is ask the doctor for pain management afterwards. I know so much more having talked to so many people on this fantastic site, that I'm not scared any more of the proceedure, just a little of the prep. Good luck, and let us know how it went--

~nelly~

Re: Prep painful? new
      #240826 - 01/23/06 11:35 AM
DWS

Reged: 01/10/06

So is the prep. painful or just uncomfortable?

Re: Prep painful? new
      #240829 - 01/23/06 11:51 AM
busymomtn

Reged: 01/09/06
Loc: Chattanooga, TN

The prep (for me) wasn't really painful. Swallowing all of the pills was no fun. I had to take two huge pills every 15 minutes for 2 hours at 4pm the day before my procedure then again at 9pm for an hour. I would get a pain and run to bathroom, and after 9pm I pretty much stayed in the bathroom. I got vitually no sleep that night and was scared to death I was going to not make it the 30 minute drive to the hospital. They put me all the way out, so I don't remember any of the procedure. I kept going to the bathroom after it was over, and finally called my doc to see if I could take some Pepto Bismol to stop the D and they said yes. After my second dose of that and a little food. I was good. Swallowing the pills was the worst. I did the same thing 7 years ago for my hysterectomy and took the phoso liquid - It tastes horrible but at least you don't get it stuck in your throat like the horse pills. Good Luck!

#240833 - 01/23/06 12:08 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Again, no pain. The prep is bad. You just can't leave the toilet for hours...but that is necessary for the test to be effective. After the test is over, and the gas is passed, all returns to normal. At least that was my experience.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

It depends if you have pain with D new
      #240910 - 01/23/06 04:23 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

If you normally have pain with D, it won't be any worse than a usual attack. I have a lot of pain and explosive gas with my D, so the prep triggered all of that.

Some people have D but it doesn't cause them any pain at all. If you're one of these people, don't expect any pain.

~nelly~

Re: It depends if you have pain with D new
      #240917 - 01/23/06 04:45 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Drink water - or gatorade or whatever they'll let you during the prep! I didn't except for the gatorade i mixed with my prep and got dehydrated and nauseous - very until I began taking little sips of fluids and started to recover. Otherwise the prep was constant d like everyone here says.
Oh and something to dream about, but useless to us right now, I read an article in the nytimes where a researcher was theorizing on the possibility of the "prep free colonoscopy" Where they would have you swallow something that would dye all of the stool and soon to be stool in your colon which a computer would then remove from the picture leaving a clean view of your guts without having to clean them out! Sounds nice, I hope they work it out before my next exam!
Good luck...

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re:It's no picnic...but you'll be fine! new
      #240952 - 01/23/06 08:22 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hey there!

I had my first colonoscopy in December. I am IBS-D and was also afraid of how the prep cleansing would affect my system. Honestly, it was a piece of cake. The trick is to drink as much water and other clear fluids (I drank a ton of chamomile tea, 7up and Ginger Ale) as you can and that will help you to avoid cramping.

The thing I WISH someone had told me beforehand is that after a while you start just passing liquid, comprised primarily of undigested stomach bile. It burns!!! My poor little bumhole was so raw and swollen by the time I was done that night I couldn't give myself the enemas until the next morning. That pain was horrid, but pretty much gone by the morning of my procedure. I have heard that if you keep that area properly lubed up with KY Jelly, Vaseline, Preparation-H or Desitin...something of that nature, it will help tremendously.

Afterwards, I did feel gassier than normal for a few days but that passed as my system got back to normal. Don't worry at all....You'll be just fine!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5931 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1558

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review