All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
question for all--common sense needed
      #240492 - 01/21/06 06:51 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

this is going to sound so stupid but i just ate a whole [peeled] avocado. for the new year im getting to the root of this damned IBS b/c im sick of it taking control of my life. ive made a list of foods to try and thought id have an avocado to accompany my vegan burrito for a "mexican" dinner [minus the spiceyness!] well i didnt have a reaction but had NO IDEA that avocados were so dare-i-say fattening?! for one whole raw peeled avocado the calories were 289! and the fat-intake was 41%!!!! now does that mean i WAAAAAY over did it and will now have an attack or are avocados "good fat"? being a vegan i feel i should know more about vegetables but i dont. and i hardly eat this guys--and too bad b/c theyre really tasty! i felt tummy-happy afterwards but now feel crushed i dont want to waste energy feeling so upset over such a minor thing but its gonna bug me now--grr. obviously ive lost my head for a day [im pms-ing] and everything is all dramatic. thanks guys for replies peace~

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question for all--common sense needed new
      #240519 - 01/22/06 04:27 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Ashley, I can eat a whole avocado without any problems. Triggers are individual-specific if you will. If you aren't having pain...no worries!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#240522 - 01/22/06 05:37 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I agree with Rachel - if you're feeling fine and you didn't have any problems with it, you're good. Plus, although the avocado's fat content is naturally high, you didn't eat it alone, so when you average it together with the rest of the meal, the fat percentage is going to be quite a bit lower.

I agree with Casey new
      #240523 - 01/22/06 06:03 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Besides -- it really is the fat percentage of the whole meal that counts -- not one food item in it. I've never eaten a whole one myself -- but I can't tell you how much guacamole I've eaten.

Re: Ashley, how are you doing today? new
      #240617 - 01/22/06 03:41 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I can eat 1/2 an avocado without any problems, and I don't think a whole avocado with a meal is bad if you don't do it every day. It's good fat, good for you, and as Casey said it's the overall fat in the entire meal that matters.

Maybe it was your pms-ing that made you crave some good fat. What did you have in your vegan burrito? I love black bean burritos with salsa and Mexican rice. But sometimes I just roll up a few slice of avocado in a warm corn tortilla (w/ or w/o salt) as a snack. Delicious!

#240631 - 01/22/06 04:11 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

of course, as everyone said, if it didn't make you sick, it's fine.

but it sounds like you're worried about more than the ibs effects - your talk about the calories and the avocado being 'fattening.' so i can tell you that, knowing how you eat, from the diet board, the avocado is *fine*. the fat in an avocado, though it could trigger an ibs attack in some people, is really good for your body otherwise, and the calories aren't really that high at all. so don't worry about that - as long as it's not bothering your ibs, it's food that's delicious and good for you, so you've got nothing to worry about.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#240723 - 01/23/06 07:26 AM
joecool

Reged: 12/31/05
Loc: Minnesota

Keep in mind that an avocado has 10g of soluble fiber. That is 5 times that of something that I would consider high in soluble fiber.

thanks joe n/t new
      #240788 - 01/23/06 10:49 AM
little bear

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

thanks jaime new
      #240793 - 01/23/06 10:53 AM
little bear

i am worried about my ibs--thats why i looked up the calories to see how much of my fat intake it occupied. i wouldnt ordinarily feel bad about eating that--b/c i dont feel bad about anything i eat. just for a few days now, i have been. and no it did not make me sick

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: thanks jaime new
      #240794 - 01/23/06 10:54 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

oh, good. sorry i misinterpreted the calories thing - glad you're feeling well.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4375 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3403

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review