All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Abortions
      #239801 - 01/19/06 10:29 AM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

I know this is a morally questionable topic, but I am going through a very rough time in my life right now. I need to know how an abortion will affect ibs. Sometimes you need antibiotics, I think, for a surgical abortion. But there is another where you take drugs. I need information.

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Abortions new
      #239815 - 01/19/06 10:54 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

it probably won't help. there are lots of aspects of the procedure that could irritate ibs - the sudden hormonal shifts, uterine cramping (especially if medically-induced), antibiotics/other medication, the physical procedure itself (if surgical), and general stress. but all that being said, i wouldn't think that ibs would weigh enough against all the reasons why you would choose to have one. i can only imagine how tough this is - best of luck, and i hope it all works out alright.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: Abortions new
      #239825 - 01/19/06 11:22 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm guessing that the immediate procedure would probably make your IBS worse (if only because of the hormonal fluctuations), but continuing with a pregnancy would probably do the same thing (and for a longer period of time)!

I think anything having to do with the female reproductive system (menstruation, pregnancy, abortion, miscarriage, hormonal contraception, IVF, etc.) tends to affect IBS, so I don't think you can make a choice based on IBS grounds. Whatever you end up doing, make sure you're eating safely and find some part of your day where you can relax.

--AC

Re: Thank you. new
      #239837 - 01/19/06 11:45 AM
Lucrece

Thank you both for your responses. I haven't taken a pregnancy test yet, but I have some symptoms of pregnancy. I am going to take a test tonight though. I am only 17, and I'm quite close to tears at the moment. I was just starting to stabalize after a stressful couple of weeks, and now this.

--------------------
IBS-C

#239845 - 01/19/06 11:59 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

oh god. i hope you have someone around who can be there for you with this. i know ibs sucks, but do what you have to do, and you'll be able to get your stomach under control again. here for you if there's anything else we can do to help.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#239847 - 01/19/06 12:04 PM
Lucrece

thank you so much. I truly appreciate the concern. I am pretty sure my boyfriend will be there for me. I am terrified of telling my parents -I don't think I can. I think I am just going to go, get it done and try to move on with my life.

--------------------
IBS-C

#239878 - 01/19/06 12:59 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I can give you my experience with my last pregancy. My ibs was pretty much gone during my pregnancy and it has been so much better since I had my daughter. I know you are young and scared about all of this and I can understand because I would have been too. As a mom, I would want my girls to come and talk to me if they are in a situation such as yours. Your parents might be upset but that doesn't mean they won't be there for you and they will always be upset. Having a baby does change your life but just remember there are more options too. You may not even be pregnant. If your stressed that can effect things and if you ibs is giving you problems than that might be all your experiencing. And if there is one thing I have learned, when things seem horrible, remember time changes things and your own perspective.

If you feel comfortable, please update us.

#239882 - 01/19/06 01:04 PM
joecool

Reged: 12/31/05
Loc: Minnesota

Good luck and of course stress is probably IBS's biggest trigger.

Don't underestimate parents sometimes parents surprise you with understanding.

Lucrece new
      #239886 - 01/19/06 01:06 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm so sorry you're having to face this. I'm glad you can count on your boyfriend to be there for you.

If you can't tell your parents, but want to talk to someone older, you can probably get a referral from your school health services or Planned Parenthood or someone like that to a counselor who will let you talk it all out and help you make whatever decision is right for you.

Please take care. We're thinking of you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Don't stress until you've taken a test! new
      #239889 - 01/19/06 01:09 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've been there and the stress can cause all sorts of symptoms on it's own.

If you do need to do something then it will mess your tummy up a bit but now you have techniques to help you stabilise, you can do it again.

{{{hugs}}}

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3549 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5405

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review