All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
oranges
      #238517 - 01/14/06 01:27 PM
DWS

Reged: 01/10/06

Has anyone had trouble after eating oranges? I'm wondering if that's what caused my last attack. I'm searching for answers....IBS-D...

David

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oranges new
      #238524 - 01/14/06 02:19 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

That is such a coincidence! I just ate 2 small oranges yesterday that really upset my stomach. BUT... I know better than to eat that type of thing on an empty stomach. When I eat them or most other fruits (without skin) after a meal or with some type of cracker or bread, no problem. I just finished pressing the last of my oranges into a juicer, much safer for me. Good luck and keep reading and asking questions these folks are great. The weekends are really slow though.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Re: I thought oranges were a no?? -nt- new
      #238584 - 01/14/06 07:34 PM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

Not necessarily new
      #238589 - 01/14/06 08:02 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Oranges are insoluble fiber. Like any other insoluble fiber food, they can be safely eaten with a soluble fiber base to cushion them, as per the IBS diet guidelines.

The exception is if you know you're sensitive to acid foods... in that case, you're better off avoiding oranges.

Re: Lately.... new
      #238591 - 01/14/06 08:08 PM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

Lately I have this acidic feelings near my chest soon after eating. For that reason alone, an orange wouldn't be a good idea, but I wouldn't attempt an orange just yet as I am not completely stable. I never really crave oranges anyway. I usually get my vitamen C in other ways. An orange also seems to big to eat for me at once.
For the acid though, I have been sucking on peices of peppermint candy canes which help temporarily.

Be careful with the peppermint! new
      #238707 - 01/15/06 03:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

For people with GERD or acid reflux, peppermint can actually make it WORSE, even if it feels better temporarily.

Oranges are BAD...for me new
      #238711 - 01/15/06 03:51 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Oranges really are bad for me, even the smell sets me off. I LOVE freshly squeezed orange juice but it ALWAYS gives me cramps and D, even pre IBS it was like that.

--------------------
S.

Re: Yes, it's getting worse but .. new
      #238712 - 01/15/06 03:53 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

Im only 17. Aren't I too young to have acid reflex? ..But is that what this could be?? It's like a strong acid in my chest or something. Not my stomach. I feel like I want to vomit acid. Which is strange. ..I don't really have anything for it. I'm craving milk to neutralize it, but milk is probably my absolute worst trigger. I'm not on soy milk, and rice milk isn't available where I live.

--------------------
IBS-C

Never too young! new
      #238794 - 01/16/06 05:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And as you're getting it so young it's even more important that you get treated for it as youve got even longer for the scarring to occur which can cause all sorts of complications. Get to your doc and get a PPI asap.

And unfortunately you will have to limit your consumption of peppermint, orange and all the other GERDs triggers.

Re: Oranges are BAD...for me new
      #238850 - 01/16/06 09:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Me, too. Orange juice is high in fructose, which I'm sure is the problem for me.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1380

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review