All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
anti-depressants
      #238413 - 01/13/06 08:02 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i was just wondering, has anyone [taking anti-depressants] ever seen/read/heard about this book? i found it in the psychology section @ barnes and noble.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Interesting. new
      #238452 - 01/14/06 08:11 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Looking through the chapter headings and divisions, it looks like this person advocates resolving depression "naturally". I'm a severe PMS sufferer - probably due to taking bc pills for so long - and periodically get into a real mess with my mood swings. Prozac helps at that time. When it stabilizes, I get off of it.

When discussing this with my gyn, telling her I was self-treating with 5-htp, she gave me some pretty stern warnings of its dangers as well. I think there are obvious, negative side effects to any drug, and we are all better off taking none. However, when daily quality of life is disrupted and becomes bad, there is nothing wrong with seeking medical help.

I don't know where we IBS'ers would be without pain meds and anti-spasmodic drugs and all of them have nasty side effects too. I think this book is just someone's "sermon" on becoming over-dependent on pills to solve problems that a pill won't cure. Our nation is very bad about that. This person obviously has a problem with over-medicating. We all should feel that way, but not to the extent of never using needed medicine.

Ok. Sermon over. This book is just one side of the story...a very slanted point of view.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Agreed new
      #238463 - 01/14/06 09:31 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

While I do feel that some doctors are too quick to throw pills in people's mouths, some people NEED medications. Period. I would never dream of telling my bipolar friend that she should treat her problems naturally. Likewise, I've had anxiety and depression disorders since I was a child, and after suffering through trying unsuccessfully to manage them on my own for 20+ years, I'm quite happy being medicated, thanks. In some cases, the side effects, possible withdrawal, and other risks are all well worth it.

It's an opinion, and you know what they say about those.

Re: Antidepressants saved my life ... new
      #238742 - 01/15/06 06:57 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

... and they have had a very positive effect on my IBS as well.

Like all drugs, they are undoubtedly often overprescribed. But for some of us they are literally lifesavers. I will put up with a LOT of side effects (which I don't have much of by the way) to avoid the sheer hell my life was when I was off ADs.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: anti-depressants new
      #238761 - 01/15/06 09:04 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Ashley, I'm bipolar with severe anxiety and with OCD. I also have PTSD.

I have tried diet. I have tried herbs and supplements.

I am on meds. Yes, they make me lose my hair. (I'm a rare case.) Yes, it has effected my ability to access the correct word/phrase when I would like to. Yes, they have negative effects. I won't lie.

The good news is I am no longer afraid of my own shadow. I was the victim of abuse....but I am also the victim of a brain that doesn't function properly. Between the two I have lived a horror life! No exaggeration And on top of it all I have lost friends because I was high and then low. (I hibernate when low and leave friends feeling like they've done something wrong or like I'm just plain weird and so they leave.)

I'm different now. It's NOT perfect but it's getting better. Maybe lack of proper diet and too many antibiotics as a child and abuse got me here (studies show abuse alter chemicals in the brain!!)...but diet alone won't fix things. Maybe one day I'll be able to do it with diet alone.....but for now I'm thankful to have the meds.

Stepping off my box now...you asked and I felt the need to speak up. Thanks for giving me the chance *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Interesting. new
      #238879 - 01/16/06 10:32 AM
little bear

look im sure no one wants to be preached to about a decision that theyve already made. and im sure they dont want to hear it from a tree-hugging vegan, no doubt. fact is mankind has been fine w/out anti-depressants for millions of year. nonetheless, bamagirl please note that i never said anything in my original post discouraging you personally or anyone else from using/taking them. i myself used to take them as i too had a brain and heart saturated with depression and its many painful times. i used to be a severe cutter which is where my IBS arose, so please do not assume that i am just looking in on a situation/problem/lifestyle i myself have not experienced.

i was simply book-hunting no less then a week ago and while searching thru the psychology section, i came across that book and my first thoughts went to everyone on this site, b/c i thought people constantly care for one-another here as we're all dealing together. i would never intentionally say anything to provoke an upset or to create a disturbance in anyone here. i just thought someone may be interested

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: Agreed new
      #238880 - 01/16/06 10:34 AM
little bear

i wouldnt dream of having you tell your bipolar friend that either. im glad your happy

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: Antidepressants saved my life ... new
      #238883 - 01/16/06 10:35 AM
little bear

im sorry to hear that you had such a painful time before. i respect your choice

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: anti-depressants new
      #238888 - 01/16/06 10:40 AM
little bear

ruchie, i asked you about OCD/GAD sypmtoms b/c i was curious of them for myself! see here? im sorry youve gone thru such hell but i wasnt saying you shouldnt continue your medical path.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

What the heck are you on? new
      #238890 - 01/16/06 10:41 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I need something else I think!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2714

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review