All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
      #237933 - 01/12/06 08:56 AM
Sassi0619

Reged: 01/06/06
Loc: Vermont

Hello everyone! I am n ew to the forums and just wanted to say hey and introduce myself.

I was diagnosed with IBS-C about 7 months ago, and have been really working to get stable. I do have to say that this website has been my saving grace. My doctor knows NOTHING about IBS and what it means to have it and what you really have to do. Her suggestion was to eat more fiber and lower the fat....well it is way more complex than that!

I have really restricted my diet and can only eat very small portions at each sitting and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. If I do eat too much I get very bloated, pains in my abdomen and very gassy (poor husband). Does anyone know the cause of the incredibly obnoxious gas? My husband says I am rotting inside!

I just started a food diary on Tuesday, so I am tracking calories, fat, protein and fiber. I have printed out a bunch of recipes from the forums and can't wait to use them....

Anyway, I just wanted to get involved in the forums and thank everyone for their great posts...can't tell you how helpful it is to have contact with people who are going through the same stuff!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Welcome new
      #237938 - 01/12/06 09:09 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Hi Sassie,

I'm an IBS-C too. I find that I also go thru spells of gas, that are HORRIBLE smelling. Be sure to drink plenty of water,like at very least 8 glasses a day. & get at least 1/2 hour of excersize a day.(Try for more if you can). Are you on a soluble fiber supplement? It tends to take us Cer's longer to stabalize. So hang in there, keep reading, keep moving, your sure to improve!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Re: Newbie new
      #237939 - 01/12/06 09:12 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome Stephanie... that is great you are keeping track...it might help to pin point what gives your tummy problems. We are a crazy bunch here.... but just one big family... so it is ok if your rotting inside....we still love ya... I bet someone elses farts are worse then yours!! LOL

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#237940 - 01/12/06 09:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Firstly do NOT restrict your diet too much. This can lead to more problems later on. Apart from a maximum of 3 days on the Breaking The Cycle diet, you should eat a varied diet with good quantities of low-fat protein sources and plenty of fruit and veg. As a C you need to be especially careful to incorporate plenty of IF as safely as possible.

Secondly, a SFS could really help you. Get started on one asap...as you will need to start at a low dose and increase slowly to avoid any side effects, it can take a while to get up to a significant dose.

Good luck!

#237952 - 01/12/06 09:35 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

Welcome to the boards. They were my saving grace also after I was diagnosed with extreme IBS-C. You will have to play around with your food intake. Mostly what I have learned is that no two people are alike. This just seems to be a very individualized syndrome. What worked for me was the soluable fiber before meals, as snacks, and the acacia. I also take Zelnorm (2 times a day)and Milk of Magnesia (MOM)daily-this seems to be contraversal (spelling?)but it workes really well for me. I have very little gas unless I eat "forbidden" foods or have high stress levels, and relatively no pain, which pretty much was a daily thing even after three surgeries. I also started going to Curves 3-5 times a week, which not only moves stuff around but does great things for stress. The other thing I found out about me is that no matter how much water I drink, insoluable fiber just doesn't work with my system. It cloggs everything up, causes lots of gas and pain and doesn't move through my system. This I know is very much against what every diet/dietician/doctor etc., says but I believe you have to do what works for you.

So I wish you much luck and if I can be of any help don't hesitate to email.

#237962 - 01/12/06 09:54 AM
Sassi0619

Thanks for making me laugh....although my husband might disagree, I am sure you are right!!!!

I really look forward to getting to know everyone! I have really enjoyed reading your posts too on the lifestyle and fitness forum. Sounds like you are really on track!

Thanks again!

#237964 - 01/12/06 09:56 AM
Sassi0619

Thank you so much!

I totally agree that you have to do what works for you. I drink a ton of water a day and still have problems. I did try the Zelnorm and it didn't work for me, but know that it does work for some.

Re: Welcome new
      #237965 - 01/12/06 10:01 AM
Sassi0619

I am drinking so much water & tea that I think I have to pea every 15 minutes all day long!!!!!! Yesterday I drank 152 ounces of water....I should be floating.

I am not currently on a sf supplement. I have been trying to incorporate milled flax seed into my diet, as recommended by the dietician, which is supposed to keep you "regular"...whatever that is!

#237967 - 01/12/06 10:03 AM
Sassi0619

I am trying to broaden my diet, I just can't eat too much at one sitting. I am still trying to grasp the IF and SF concept and have yet to fully put that into action.

Re: WOW ! Now THAT'S some water intake!! new
      #237986 - 01/12/06 11:17 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

WOW!!! Have you ever tried a SFS? It would more than likely help you!! You can continue w/ the flaxseed also!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 696 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1709

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review