All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
about eating soluble fiber to start a meal
      #23760 - 10/17/03 10:36 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

I understand the principle of starting a meal with soluble fiber -- but, I was wondering, how much should it be? For example, would it be ok to eat a few bites of rice and then other things and then come back to the rice -- or should you eat, say a whole serving of rice and then the rest of your meal?

Are soy and rice milk good to start a meal off with in that way also? Would a few ounces be enough, or should it be, say, 8 ounces?

I bought some corn puffs today which are whole grain. I'm trying to find things my daughter can carry with her to eat alone and also before eating a bar (which will be more substantial than eating just soluble fiber ) -- Would these corn puffs , and Barbara's Puffins (which are also corn flour and corn bran) and brown rice cakes work for this or do they have too much insoluble fiber?

Is fruit juice sweetened rice bread (made with brown and white rice flour) a good soluble fiber starting food or does it also have too much insoluble fiber? Its hard because my daughter likes to eat very healthy and doesn't want sugar or additives and also she is avoiding wheat for now, since she might have a problem with that too. I appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: about eating soluble fiber to start a meal new
      #23786 - 10/18/03 08:48 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You can eat have a few bites of that, then come back to it - you don't have to eat the rice all at once then the rest of your meal.

Soy and rice milk are fine with a meal as long as you have your soluble fiber in your meal.

I'm not sure about the corn puffs & puffins, but the brown rice cakes are fine. I think the rice bread sounds okay also.

#23857 - 10/19/03 12:09 AM
barb n

Thanks for the answer -- now there is something else I am confused about -- I thought that I had figured out that soy and rice milk are considered a soluble fiber, good to start a meal with and good to use during a setback. Am I wrong about that? By the way -- all you kind and helpful people -- my daughter has been taking fiber caps for 3 days now and already has been feeling alot better. She is also doing the diet as best she can -- i have 2 packages with all kinds of food coming to her in the mail this week. It looks like this website may have solved the agonizing problems of 8 months for her -- that nobody else could figure out -- we will see - but we are all very hopeful. Thanks so much.

#23858 - 10/19/03 12:11 AM
barb n

Thanks for the reply -- now there is something else I am confused about -- I thought that I had figured out that soy and rice milk are considered a soluble fiber, good to start a meal with and good to use during a setback. Am I wrong about that?

By the way -- all you kind and helpful people -- my daughter has been taking fiber caps for 3 days now and already has been feeling alot better. She is also doing the diet as best she can with limited resources for food -- I have 2 packages with all kinds of food coming to her in the mail this week. It looks like this website may have solved the agonizing problems of 8 months for her -- that nobody else could figure out -- we will see - but we are all very hopeful. Thanks so much.

sorry ! new
      #23859 - 10/19/03 12:14 AM
barb n

Somehow I posted almost the same thing twice -- don't know how i managed that - must be my great skill with computers -- its always doing strange things on me - drives my husband crazy because he has to fix whatever i mess up !

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 752 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 964

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review