All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oatmeal...nutrition facts?
      #237080 - 01/10/06 06:00 AM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Why do the packets of oatmeal have more vitamins and minerals than the Quaker or Quick Oats you buy in a container?? I don't get it....

Jessica

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oatmeal...nutrition facts? new
      #237087 - 01/10/06 06:43 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

Oatmeal is just that, Oatmeal. Nothing added. The packets of instant that come flavored and in a box are fortified processed and additives. If you have the time, your better off making your own and adding you own fruit and/or sweetener. That way you know whats in it.

Kloss goes into oatmeal and its benifits. I will try to post it tonight or tomorrow.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

#237094 - 01/10/06 07:13 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I eat oatmeal (instant in the packages) every morning. It has been one of the few fibers I can tolerate. I have noticed that the vitamins, etc change among flavors, too.

I like the Cinnamon & Spice and then I tried the regular and started having "D". When I looked at the ingredients the regular had much more iron than the Cinnamon & Spice and the iron was what was bothering me. Also, the Cinnamon & Spice has more magnesium than the Cinnamon Roll.

It is very strange.

Barbie

--------------------

#237323 - 01/10/06 04:06 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

So, is regular oatmeal better because it's natural with no additives? I just wonder if its better to have the packets since I'm actually getting vitamins and minerals as well as fiber, etc. How confusing!! I have both, and the regular oatmeal tastes much better than the regular oatmeal in packets. The flavored ones are of course better than all since they are well, flavored, but I'll only buy now the lowered sugar ones. Just thought the whole deal was wierd!

#237330 - 01/10/06 04:13 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Be careful with the lower sugar oatmeal. They may contain sugar substitutes, like sorbitol, which are hard on the digestive tract.

I also eat instant oatmeal (regular/plain or Cinnamon Roll); because it is processed, it does seem easier for IBSers to digest. However, if you're sensitive to additives or prefer a whole foods diet, you'd have to take what's added to the instant oatmeal into consideration.

#237455 - 01/10/06 10:15 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I noticed that, too, and think that because it is packaged it contains those additives. Personally, I prefer to buy just the oats from my HFS and then add my own almond milk, brown sugar, blueberries, etc. However, I eat the packaged stuff quite frequently at work and have had no problems with it at all.

#237470 - 01/11/06 05:05 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

Sorry I did not get that posted. Got home last night and my mind took a trip and left me there.
Wther the extra vitimins and minerals were added or from the fruit/spices it's really a personal prefrence on what one you like and can tolerate.
Like Maria said, look for artifical sweeteners and also look for any preservitives they might add.
I will try to remember that book tonight.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

#239104 - 01/17/06 08:57 AM
flowerpetal

Reged: 01/07/06

can you eat instant if you are wheat intolerent?

#239111 - 01/17/06 09:14 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Oatmeal doesn't contain wheat, but oats are grown, stored, transported and milled with wheat so gluten may be found in oats. I think if you're wheat intolerant, you should be fine; however, if you have been diagnosed with celiac disease, you should avoid oats.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1803 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1038

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review