All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What if we get the flu?
      #236539 - 01/07/06 03:42 PM
Lannie

Reged: 12/17/05
Loc: Florida

I woke up with an attack around 4a.m. The cramps were horrible. I also feel terrible today like I might be coming down with the flu. What's everyone doing when this happens? Is it safe to take over the counter flu medicine? I usually like to take Robotussin.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What if we get the flu? new
      #236541 - 01/07/06 04:11 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hey Lannie! When I get sick I take whatever I can to make myself better. Whether or not that's good, I don't know. I never seem to notice any links between the OTC medicine I take and my tummy, but I know others do. When I get the flu I just pop Dayquil and Nyquil every 4-6 hours. I usually eat crackers or a full meal when I take the meds. I also drink tons of water, rest as much as possible and take echinacea.

Hope you feel better soon

Same here new
      #236554 - 01/07/06 05:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Some people find that OTC cold/flu/allergy meds bother their tummies, but I'm one of the lucky ones who can take whatever. I do the Nyquil thing, and get lots of sleep/water/chicken soup/Gatorade till I'm better.

Feel better soon!

Re: Same here new
      #236596 - 01/07/06 11:02 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Oh that dayquil is good stuff and has never bothered me.

I think if you're worried about it --- new
      #236609 - 01/08/06 05:51 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

You can take the caplets or liquitabs or whatever they're called instead of the liquid. I have taken both kinds when I have been sick. I prefer the liquitabs. The daquil/nyquil stuff works the best though -- other than if you can catch the flu early on... Oscillococcinum has really helped me to get better fast - if it really is the flu and not just me feeling bad. I used it once - and I was back on my feet within a day -- though weaker -- and almost normal the next day. Since then I have had a box always stocked in my medicine cabinent.

Re: I think if you're worried about it --- new
      #236624 - 01/08/06 08:08 AM
Lannie

Reged: 12/17/05
Loc: Florida

Thanks everyone. I am stuffed up and feeling weak today. My fiance is sick too. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna trigger anything. I had a really bad spell at 4am saturday morning from eating Ritz crackers and didn't wanna do that again today.

#236746 - 01/08/06 04:53 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

For my last cold, I had great results using an antihistimine nasal spray. Nothing went into my stomach, so I stayed stable, and no snot meant less coughing and sniffling and better sleeping.

The stuff I use is called Astelin. You need a prescription, but my doc was overjoyed to give it to me.

--AC

#236844 - 01/09/06 07:12 AM
Terri4301

Reged: 06/03/05

Hi;
We've had terrific results with Oscillococcinum. You need to start it at the beginning of your symptoms. It's amazing...there are no side effects ...I always keep some in the medicine cabinet. You can get it at whole foods market or other health food stores. Good luck!

Terri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5543 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1352

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review