All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
picky eater-help
      #23651 - 10/16/03 08:19 PM
tiredofibs

Reged: 10/16/03
Loc: NC

I'm a picky eater and often times don't eat enough. I know this is bad for IBS. I found from reading the web site that milk is bad for IBS. Do you have some diet recommendations for high calcium foods, as I need more calcium in my diet for bone health? I would really appreciate all replies.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: picky eater-help new
      #23653 - 10/16/03 09:05 PM
Cupidon

As an IBS sufferer myself, I try to omit dairy products from my diet as much as possible...but with that
goes the calcium. So now I take a calcium supplement called Viactiv Calcium Chews which you can buy at just about
any grocery store (near the vitamins). 2 chews will give you your daily allowance of Calcium and they come
in all kinds of flavors including caramel, chocolate, chocolate mint, orange cream, and strawberry cream.
I like the caramel the best.

In any case, if you do end up taking calcium this way...be sure to supplement with Magnesium and Zinc.
I take one Mg tablet a day (250 mg) and the brand I use is Nature Made. I get Zinc from my One-A-Day
multi-vitamin. Your body needs Mg and Zn to absorb Calcium.

I realize these are supplements and recommend getting as many vitamins and minerals from natural
foods as possible. So to answer your question about calcium-containing foods, you might try tofu, corn tortillas,
almonds, sesame seeds, and bread (a slice has 10-15% of your Ca RDA).

Hope that helps. If you are taking a multi-vitamin or have any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

~Cupidon

#23673 - 10/17/03 06:28 AM
tiredofibs

Thanks, I'm going to try and pick up some Viactiv chews today, chocolate mint or chocolate. Also, a multi-vitamin to help with nutrients.

#23678 - 10/17/03 07:01 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Be careful if you are IBS-C. The calcium chews made me horribly constipated.

#23682 - 10/17/03 07:10 AM
tiredofibs

Constipation, you say. Well, I'll have to risk it for my bone health. As long as I get lots of fluids throughout the day, I think it might be okay. I have IBS-C and IBS-D, alternating. Right now, I am doing pretty good though.

#23699 - 10/17/03 09:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

A lot of soya milk products come with added calcium so it can just replace milk and you can still be healthy. Look for these instead of the capsules if you're IBS-c - you don't want to overdo the calcium.

#23756 - 10/17/03 05:09 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

The Viactiv chews have some milk deratives in them so if you're ultra sensitive to dairy (like me) then don't take them! Just take a calcium pill three times a day before meals or (if you skip breakfast like me) then just take some crackers or animal cookies with you to eat on the way to work and take the pill before you start eating them. If you do this then you should be fine!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review