All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics, Acacia, and Food- A couple of questions for those experienced guys/gals!
      #236299 - 01/06/06 11:54 AM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

Hi,
I am starting a probiotic today (Primal Defense) after batting yeast infections and at the recommendation of my doctor. I will be taking one a day for a while, but the bottle says best if taken on an empty stomach. The help for ibs website however says to take probiotics with food. Should I take it with food then to save my stomach any upset? After all, the bottle only says "best" not necessary to take on an empty stomach. Also, I am taking Acacia right now. I had worked up to 1.5 teaspoons two times a day before I got sick due antibiotic associated diarrhea and stress. I felt pretty stable, but it couldn't hurt to increase the amount slowly still, right? I'm IBS-A by the way. Is increasing by 1 tsp too much at one time? Also, I've been taking my Acacia in the morning (first thing) and at night before bed. I do this because the morning are the worst for me and my IBS symptoms. Is this okay? Should I add more Acacia to these doses or since I don't eat anything between those doses (I'm only sleeping, should I add a third dose in the middle of the day or before dinner?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't know what I would do without everyone's help and support!

Thank you

Amber

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics, Acacia, and Food- A couple of questions for those experienced guys/gals! new
      #236300 - 01/06/06 11:57 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I have a very sensitive stomach and I can take it on an empty stomach. I take it about an hour after I eat. So, it's not TOTALLY empty like it would be in the morning when you first wake up.

You should be fine. Even though they look very intimidating, you don't have anything to worry about unless you're allergic. I don't get any upset stomach or anything from Primal Defense like I have gotten with other brands in the past.

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: If you're worried about it like I was.... new
      #236303 - 01/06/06 11:59 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I was terrified to take those pills. They look like they would kill me......black pills?? EWWWW!!!

So, if you're worried about it....break it in half and take 1/2 with food twice a day until your body can adjust. That's what I did for the first few days until I could trust it.

HTH!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Probiotics, Acacia, and Food- A couple of questions for those experienced guys/gals! new
      #236307 - 01/06/06 12:05 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Can't help with the probiotics questions, but as for the acacia - I went up slowly, increasing by 1/4 teaspoon per day at a time and staying there for 3 days before going up by another 1/4 teaspoon per day. Every so often, I'd stick at a dose for a week or so to see how I felt. Once I got up to 8 teaspoons I felt great, so that's my dose. (Actually, that should be my dose. I got careless about taking it, so now I've dropped down to a lower dose and am working my way back up.)

Once I was taking more than 2 teaspoons I preferred to spread it out into at least 3 doses, but that can be difficult when you're doing work, school, etc. I definitely wouldn't do just 1 dose, but 2 should be fine.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 485

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review