All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Winter
      #236219 - 01/06/06 08:45 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I seem to be having problems with the season and IBS. I have talked with my doc about it but cannot find any answers. My friend who has fibro says she is bad all winter every year and really bad for a week at the beginning and end. She just doesn't push herself but does everything else the same and can't figure out why she is worse. I have spent too many winters bloated and sick every day and have too little bloating in summer to not think something is suspicious.
So I would like to know who else has problems in winter and how people stay stable through it. My diet is just fine and the same as always and I know itis not that. I also exercise just as hard and try to drink as much as I need. I also try to get sun and full spectrum light. Here in MN we haven't seen the sun in a couple weeks because of warm temps and I normally don't mind that at all, but everyone makes such a deal of it. I am on a cycle of feeling bad now and can't seem to get out of it. I plan on doing the melatonin (and not forgetting) and increasing the dosage too. Ideas? What is it about winter that causes this? Does anyone else get it?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sorry..... new
      #236227 - 01/06/06 09:13 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I am sorry to hear that you worse in the winter....
I do better in the winter. I get severe nausea in the summertime when it's hot. I can't handle hot weather at all. We're getting ready to move more north to get me away from this heat.

So, if you do better in the heat, move to Georgia! It was sunny and 65 degrees yesterday!!! I want to be where it doesn't get over 35 degrees!!! I love the winter and cold weather because I don't get so nauseated.

Hope you get to feeling better soon! Hang in there, summer will be here before you know it!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Winter new
      #236247 - 01/06/06 10:02 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm totally in the throws of SAD right now, so I can relate! If you figure out something that makes you better, please share. I've had a dark cloud hanging over me since about Sunday (my last good day) and I'm awfully tired all the time!

Good luck to you!! Winter sucks!!!!!

~nelly~

#236255 - 01/06/06 10:32 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey,

I've been struggling a lot this winter too...the only thing I can think of is that your reaction may have something to do with that unknown factor that affects our IBS which has nothing to do with what we eat or drink. For me, there are a lot of emotional connections that I make with these months, probably due to the holidays, stress, and issues I have with the past and with my family. This isn't something I understand, but I just know that it affects my physical body as well as my emotional being. I can only speak from my own experience, but I do suggest you consider the emotional side of the equation.
Hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Julia

#236260 - 01/06/06 10:46 AM
mol

Reged: 01/06/06

I am also in MN and the weather can get to me. I feel like crap when theres no sunlight, and its so cold you see your breath. I think it does take its toll, especially having IBS

#236262 - 01/06/06 10:59 AM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well these days. I too had a bad couple of weeks after Christmas. I'm only beginning to feel better now! Hopefully you will too

Anyway, these are my thoughts on your "winter" IBS troubles, but obviously I can only speak from personal experience. Like you, I did not cheat once over the holidays. I followed the exact same diet I had been following previously when I was stable. But still, after Christmas (the very next morning starting at 4 am to be exact!) I had terrible IBS symptoms that have come and gone but mostly persisted since then. I'm IBS-A and I really have just been fluctuating between painful/uncomfortable C and D with nausea and gas all in between! (Despite my clean diet) I personally don't think that my symptoms have gotten worse/persisted because it is winter time, but more because of the stress from the holidays. For me, Christmas was a VERY stressful time. I was busy buying and wrapping presents, cooking safe foods for myself as well as foods I could share at parties. My boyfriend, 9 month old son, and I were busy scooting around from family party to family party, trying to please everyone. The stress from the holidays (as well as sleepless nights due to my teething 9 month old!) probably just caught up with me. Maybe you too feel out of control and anxious around the holidays because of all there is to do? Or maybe you get less sleep because of traveling or what not? Those sort of things always catch up with me and cause me IBS distress. Not only that, but my symptoms persisted for weeks, but most likely because of my mindset. I don't know if you're like me, but when I feel terrible from my IBS I get angry at myself. Usually, as was the case this Christmas, I couldn't understand why I felt so sick since I ate so safely. I always forget that stress (not necessarily caused by me, but by my family) can be so hard on my stomach! I just get so upset that I eat so safely and try to please others and I still end up sick as can be. When I get depressed like this, I swear I only make my symptoms worse and last longer. Finally, three days ago, I felt better than I had in weeks. So I did the opposite of what I normally do; Instead of getting depressed over feeling bad, I got incredibly happy and optimistic about feeling so good and I've felt great since. I just keep to my diet, think positively, try to rest, and hope for the best...it has helped for the past week at least.

Well, I don't know if I've helped at all or at least given you some hope, but I really do wish you end up feeling better real soon!

Take care,
Amber

PS- a lot of ppl get depressed in the winter simply due to the weather/darkness. I think it is called SAD? (Seasonal Affective Disorder) A lot of people get it. I'm sure depression, anxiety, etc could make IBS symptoms worse. Try to take care of yourself. You deserve to feel good! Tell yourself that.

SAD, too, Nelly! new
      #236270 - 01/06/06 11:12 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I am SAD, too. Really SAD. Hey, I am so SAD that I strongly suspect it's making me BALDER & BALDER each day (my immune system is really rebelling/fighting too much at the moment).

I know that less exercise in the Winter impacts my IBS, negatively. Lack of availability of local fresh foods impacts both my IBS & SAD.

My D is worse in the summer months, but in the winter I experience "parched bms," and more spasms/cramping--increased intensity/frequency. Many people eat more or differently during the cold seasons so naturally there's an IBS effect. I seriously SLEEP half the day away.

That's all I can comb from my brain at the moment.

Kate.

thanks new
      #236369 - 01/06/06 04:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is very interesting to get some feedback. I think this is a curious case. I do not get depressed or stressed in winter. I don't celebrate christmas and don't get together with family. I am not cold and have no trouble sleeping, but every winter my bloating and pain/D episodes gets way way worse. I guess it is a mystery. I am only bummed out right now because 2 days this week I had AM D and felt crappy all day long, couldn't do my usual stuff and felt like a loser. Otherwise I like the clouds and winter cold. So it seems like this might be more of a personal thing. At least the winter clothes cover bloat better than summer clothes! I hate being bloated in a swimming suit.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: SAD, too, Nelly! new
      #238388 - 01/13/06 06:07 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

That's exactly how I feel! Kate, I swear we were seperated at birth!!

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3383 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1741

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review