All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: I did that too! new
      #236181 - 01/06/06 07:12 AM
ibsy

Reged: 12/12/05

I ate no trigger foods at christmas but being fairly new to this whole thing I didn't fully realise what would happen when on xmas day I ate one huge meal! 3 days on the toilet and I'm not right now! It's a nightmare... I can hardly get any insoluble fibre in my diet either which is a problem too! Dietician wednesday... I shall grill her to death about this cuz it's really hard! Really don't beat yourself up tho... I have finally decided that I can do this gracefully or kick up all the way and feel depressed! one thing is for sure - I gotta do it cuz I'm just not 'normal'! Sad but true! Hope you feel better soon. Sorry I can't offer advice, only sympathy!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Really? new
      #236451 - 01/07/06 08:38 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

did I know this? For some reason I thought it worked for you sooner.

What do you think of Sand's question?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: What do you do after making bad decisions?? new
      #236458 - 01/07/06 09:37 AM
Lannie

Reged: 12/17/05
Loc: Florida

I had an attack about 4a.m this morning. I ate about 5-6 Ritz crackers. I didn't think they would bother me, but was I wrong. I get stable pretty quick compared to a lot of people. I only have a few days to get my self stable or I can't work. My cramps get so bad I feel close to passing out.

This is what I do. Banana in morning, Sour dough bread with smart balance spread for lunch, and noodles with spaghetti sauce, or olive oil for dinner. I take Benefiber 2 times a day, a Bentyl 3 times a day, and Immodium when needed.

Re: Ritz Crackers...... new
      #236459 - 01/07/06 09:45 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Hey Lannie!

Ritz crackers gave me a HORRIBLE D ATTACK back in September. Won't make that same mistake twice!!! I only had eaten about 2-3 and thought I would be okay, too. I guess both of us were WRONG!!!
Feel Better Soon!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, Sand! new
      #237825 - 01/11/06 11:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yes, it did take me 14 or 15 months to get to what I would call "stable", but I DID see some improvement along the way. I will say that the first 3 or 4 months passed with no improvement whatsoever, but I stuck with it because I know, from past experiences in having to adjust my diet for specific health problems, that these things take time.

I have never thought of this as an "eating plan". It's a lifestyle change. As in, this is the way I will be eating for the rest of my life. Anyone who ISN'T thinking that way is in denial... and setting themselves up for relapses in the future. But if you think of it as a lifelong project, giving it 6 months, a year, or even 2 years isn't unreasonable.

I will also say that if you're ONLY changing your diet, you're not giving your body a fair shot at healing itself. You have to be in this for the complete lifestyle change. You have to change your diet with no cheats. You have to learn to manage stress and anxiety, by whatever means (therapy, medication, hypnosis). You have to exercise and drink a lot of water, get plenty of sleep, quit smoking/drinking/drugs. You have to at least try the recommended supplements, herbs, and minerals that Heather suggests. If you're not doing all of this, you're not giving it a fair try, because you're not eliminating a lot of trigger factors beyond food.

Off my soapbox now, haha.

And as far as how I define "stable", by the way: I still have attacks and "bad days", but they are - thankfully - only maybe once a month, and not nearly as bad as they used to be. I will NEVER be completely symptom-free, and I'm fully accepting of that... which was a HUGE step in my recovery/stabilization process.

I've told you this, but... new
      #237826 - 01/11/06 11:13 PM
atomic rose

you were probably ignoring me. That's alright, I see how it is.

Like I said in my reply to Sand, the first 3 or 4 months, I hardly saw any improvement at all, IF any at all. Once I started managing my anxiety, I was able to expand my diet a little bit, and then I could really start to follow the diet, and I started to improve... slowly.

I registered here on the boards June 2004. I actually started the diet about a month before then. (Yes, I was a lurker, hehe.) I didn't consider myself "stable" until this past August or so... and considered myself stable THEN because my attacks dropped down to once a month, usually hormone-related. I will NEVER be completely attack- and symptom-free. So anyway, yes, that happened 15 months after I started the diet.

Ya know what, though - and I didn't mention this in my reply to Sand - I would have stuck with the diet and lifestyle changes even if my IBS symptoms didn't improve, because it's generally a HEALTHY way to live, and the kind of diet that EVERYONE should be following, IBS or not. But that's just me.

Re: AtomicRose, question about time (anyone else who's interested, too) new
      #237836 - 01/12/06 04:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Think of it this way....6 months or 2 years of trying to stabilise by following the diet is NOTHING to 50 years of pain and disruption from unstable IBS.

My IBS stability is now in MY hands and that makes such a big difference.

No problem, Casey. Thanks for the reply and ... new
      #237862 - 01/12/06 05:49 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I actually like it when you get up on your soapbox - you're clear, succinct, and direct. And you always make a lot of sense.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Uh, yeah, I remember now new
      #237867 - 01/12/06 06:15 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I just needed a reminder! Honestly, I can't keep straight who got better when! Fast, slowly....thanks for you "soap box" lecture. I love them! You are a smart cookie!

And I think this post will be a good inspiration to others who continue to struggle. Hope for the future???

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

You know I was teasing you, right? new
      #238111 - 01/12/06 06:35 PM
atomic rose

I sure hope so, anyway! I really don't think you're ignoring me! I know that it's hard to keep track of who says what and when. LOL

I don't know about being a smart cookie, but I guess when you've been sick as long as I have, you do learn a thing or two. I hope this post helps people... you just gotta hang in there, and I'd say there's ALWAYS hope for the future.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4430 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4964

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review