All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather and others...I need help!!! New diagnosis....
      #23562 - 10/16/03 06:42 AM
Bourget

Reged: 07/16/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi....well, the past week or so, I've been battling reflux...its been so bad that I've actually been making myself throw up to relieve it. Nothing seems to work...
So I took myself to the doctor and I told her...I keep getting sick when noone else is...I got sick Monday night...I thought it was the flu..but there was no fever nothing and noone else got sick. I told her about the reflux..and I told her when I get sick like that my right side of my ribs in the back hurts.
ANyways....I foudn out I have gastro esophagul reflux disease...she said its common in Bowel patients. Now I"m on new meds.....
I feel aweful to be complaiing, my husband must be getting sick of me....but whenever I move, the acid creeps up...I have a sore throat from it. My doctor said I will probably need routine tests on my esophagus to make sure there's no damage.
She also informed me that my IBS is affecting all of my intestines not just my large or small ones.
I am so dragged from this...and it seems stupid because GERD is such a small disease....but I guess I"m getting bogged down from all these diagnosis'.

Please help me to get a better positive attitude. My doctor also told me cut out all Dairy. I've been trying....but its hard....

Any words of wisdom or advice???

Thanks
Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather and others...I need help!!! New diagnosis.... new
      #23565 - 10/16/03 07:26 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry you are having such a terrible time! After I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago I also developed acid reflux, I would wake up in the middle of the night in severe pain. I was put on previcid once a day before bed and that stopped the symptoms. I had the test where they put the scope down your throat(I forget what its called now, sorry)and they heavily sedate you and I don't remember a thing! So the test isn't anything to worry about! The good news is the diet is pretty much the same for IBS and acid reflux! No dairy, no red meat, no carbonation, low fat and high fiber. Read through all the diet guidlines on this site. Are you IBS C or D? Once you start some meds for the acid reflux you should start to feel better. Don't hesitate to ask your questions here, we are happy to help.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#23575 - 10/16/03 08:16 AM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Bourget,
Calm down............!!! Don't let this get to you. It's like Michele says. The test is not bad at all. I had it done in 99 & have been on prevacid in the am before eating (that's when it seemed to bother me most).

You can buy over the counter Pepcid or even Prilosec which JUST went off prescription. Pepcid has been off a couple yrs. The prilosec is stronger.....like Prevacid. Some Drs. like Prev, others prilosec, etc. You might want to try the Pepcid lst!!!! My Internist gave me a presc. for Pepcid and I was on that until it didn't seem to work anymore & I had it checked out and the GI put me on the Prev. No problems since.

GI never told me that IBS patients get this nor did any diet get mentioned that I remember.

Don't lie down for at least ...I think it's 2 hrs. after taking these pills tho and it's REALLY GOOD to raise the head of your bed. I put a BIG ,phone book under my mattress & have even fortified that with some other fat magazines, and sleep on 2 pillows ........so yr. upper body is raised & the acid can't creep up. Am surprised yr. Doc didn't tell you....

OHHHH.....almost forgot, don't eat anything Peppermint or any kind of mint. No peppermint tea or the tablets people w/IBS use. IT'S REALLY BADDDDDDDDD for Gerds.

Check w/yr. Doc abt the meds lst. Ask her for tips till you get the (Endocoscopy is what it's called) done. It's no big deal......don't have to take stuff like for colonoscopy. Think it may just be a 12 hr fast & they usually do them in the am.

I remember carrying crackers ard. w/me for when the Pepcid would wear off. It came on me all of a sudden too....had NEVER had any problems w/reflux before. Think diet is abt same.......no fatty , fried, etc.

Call yr. Doc this am abt. all this! Let us know how you are doing!!!!!!

Marnie

#23580 - 10/16/03 09:08 AM
Bourget

Reged: 07/16/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I was put on a med called Nexium....its one tablet per day.
All I've been drinkign has been peppermint tea because when I was having bad problems, the only thing that helped was chamomile and peppermint tea. So I totally took out regular tea.
But I had oatmeal the other day for breakfast. I didn't even think about it bothering me until I saw a post early on. I can't even eat oatmeal cookies, when I do I get so sick.

ANywhoo....I'm going to look into those other meds as well.
I guess I'm tired of having diagnosis after diagnosis.
I have had an endoscopy done last December. With a colonoscopy.
It really wasn't that bad....

Thanks for you advice.

#23595 - 10/16/03 10:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Bourget, cut out the peppermint tea! this stuff is lethal for people with reflux problems. I can't touch it. Stick to the chamomile. Linz

#23663 - 10/16/03 11:15 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

GOOD!!! Nexium is the newest and supposed to be the best.

STAY OFF THAT PEPPERMINT tea...... & ANYTHING MINT .....worst thing for GERDS!!

Glad you're doing better and that the tests are already done. You w/feel ALOT better soon. Nexium should kick in REALLY fast.

We're here if you need help......!

Marnie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4565 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 690

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review