All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Any new IBS drugs that HELP?
      #235513 - 01/03/06 05:04 PM
SLHoutz56841

Reged: 12/05/04
Loc: We are right in the middle of the state of Pennsylvania, USA :)

Hello,

Has anyone been prescribed and or used a new or existing IBS drug with success? I'm diarhhea prominent and am also refractory -- in other words, any drug they use quits after a while ... I tried Wellbutrin and it helped for about 6 months, now I'm on Nortriptyline 75 mgs. at bedtime ... it's been almost a year now ... I'm finding that it isn't helping much at all. My gastro. doctor wanted to prescribe Lotronex ... I refused and am glad that I did. Way to many side affects!

Thanks

Sandra Houtz
SLHoutz56841@aol.com

--------------------
IBS-D, GERD, Hiatal Hernia --- very unstable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any new IBS drugs that HELP? new
      #235519 - 01/03/06 05:19 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Have you ever tried Dicetel? I think this is relatively new.

#235520 - 01/03/06 05:21 PM
SLHoutz56841

Hi Gracie,

Thanks for the name I am seeing my regular doctor on Friday and will bring this drug up with him. He had suggested using Remeron .. but when I asked the gastro. doctor he said he didn't think it would help? I get so tired of the mixed messages!

Sandra Houtz
SLHoutz56841@aol.com

--------------------

#235526 - 01/03/06 05:33 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You're welcome, I hope it helps. Here is a link from the manufacturer:

http://www.solvaypharmaceuticals.com/Products/group/product/0,,30633-2-0,00.htm

#235528 - 01/03/06 05:38 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I find Immodium quite helpful and have Donnatol for those times when my tummy gets really out of whack. Elavil, a tricyclic antidepressant worked well for a while but it stopped working and I had to keep increasing the dosage, so I eventually stopped taking it.

For me, however, neither Immoidum nor Donnatol really helped much until I started following Heather's diet and taking an SFS. It's sort of like the diet and SFS took care of about 80% of my IBS problems and the drugs did the last little bit. I eventually got to the point where it was very rare for me to take Donnatol and even my use of Immodium got less and less frequent.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Sandra/Remeron new
      #235529 - 01/03/06 05:39 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Hi Sandra!

Just wanted to share my experience with Remeron. I was taking it in September and after a couple of months it made me very sick!! I became severely C, major cramping, anxiety/panic attacks all day long, the list just keeps going and going. It irritated my hiatal hernia and eventually I couldn't even eat anymore without getting sick. I went on it to gain weight and got so sick from it that I actually lost 15 lbs.

I took Remeron in 2001 BEFORE I had the IBS for anorexia and I did very well on it back then and gained like 25 lbs very quickly!!! But, when I tried to go on it this time around....it did not do the same thing...... I guess because of my IBS.

Good Luck! I will NEVER touch the stuff, again!!

Oh, yea......and when I told my GASTRO doc that the regular doc put me on Remeron, he told me to come off of it immediately. He knew that is what was making me so sick as soon as I said the word!! So, maybe it's not very IBS compatible.

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#235563 - 01/04/06 06:10 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

Hey, I am on Nortriptyline too but also librax and a probiotic now for six weeks. This is the first time since Feb I have been stable. I used to have attacks back to back. I think the combo is working for me. Did you read the study of probiotics, it is called bifantis and sold as Align? The study was presented in Honolulu at the American College of Gastroenterology meeting.Probiotics are good bacteria.The good bacteria replaces the bad bacteria in our small intestine.My gastro told me only use a probiotics that has been studied and presented to the gastro world, all probiotics do not work. So Align and Flora-Q are the two he said to try but the Align is working for me great. The other study was done with antibiotics, Xifaxen or also called rifaximin. You take it for ten days and four times a day at 1200mg total. These two studies are really promising and they all lead to the therory that folks with IBs have SIBO or Small intestine bacteria overgrowth.I do not have the links but I am pretty sure Heather would have posted this. I found the studies are another site.I can only speak for myself but with this combo I have felt great for the first time since Feb and finally getting my life back. I do need to mention I follow Heaters diet to a tee too. Hope this helps, Lisa

#235734 - 01/04/06 04:48 PM
SLHoutz56841

Thanks for the info I was on Librax and it had "quit" working ... thus the change to the nortriptyline. What is your miligram on the nortriptyline? Perhaps I should try the 2 together?

Sandra Houtz
SLHoutz56841@aol.com

--------------------

#235735 - 01/04/06 04:51 PM
SLHoutz56841

I am going to purchase the acacia fiber and the two books that Heather has here on her site, but need to wait until hubby gets paid

I just get so frustrated. I also have children so I find it really hard to eat "correctly".

Sandra Houtz
SLHoutz56841@aol.com

--------------------

Re: Sandra/Remeron new
      #235736 - 01/04/06 04:53 PM
SLHoutz56841

I'm glad you told me about your experience with Remeron. The main reason I didn't go on it was that my gastro. doctor said he didn't think it would help. I would hate to have the opposite problem! I get so tired of relying on Immodium. I have found that I can only take a half to one pill of it at a time as it does cause a rebound affect and I can't "go" for about 3 days. Gotta love IBS! lol!

Sandra Houtz
SLHoutz56841@aol.com

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4611 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2798

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review