All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How much daily fiber do you strive for, including SFS ,SF and IF?
      #235100 - 01/02/06 06:40 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

My gastro says as a IBS-D he wants me to get 40-45 grams of fiber per day. What are your doctors saying and what amount do you all try for? If he had his way I would be eating All Bran all day but I do try to get a lot of fiber in, the safe way. Thanks, Lisa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much daily fiber do you strive for, including SFS ,SF and IF? new
      #235107 - 01/02/06 07:51 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My GI doctor has said nothing about fiber. However, he has said that if whatever I'm doing is working to keep doing it.

I'm not sure how much fiber I get in daily, but here's what I generally do to make sure I'm getting at least some everyday...

I take 1 TB of Benefiber in the morning and another at the end of the day, usually with dinner. (3 grams SFS each dose)

For breakfast nearly everyday, I have a half-cup oatmeal (dry) cooked with 1 c. 8th Continent soy milk (2 g SFS, 2 g NSF) with a half cup of peaches or pears mixed in. Sometimes I use a banana instead for the fruit, which gives me more SFS.

With lunch, I almost always have about a cup of raw carrots for a bit more fiber. (NOTE: Not everyone can handle raw carrots.) If I'm having soup or a frozen dinner, I often
add some veggies to it, usually a mix of mushrooms, green beans, and carrots.

I take 2 caplets of Fibercon before lunch too. (1 gram SFS).

For my afternoon snack at work, I have a half cup of unsweetened applesauce or a banana.

Well, back when I was doing fitday... new
      #235235 - 01/02/06 04:31 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I believe it said I was getting about 40ish grams of fiber BEFORE my SFS. I take 15g of acacia a day, so that would be 55ish grams of fiber a day for me...

Taste new
      #235283 - 01/02/06 08:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

What does acacia taste like?

Re: Taste new
      #235356 - 01/03/06 08:36 AM

Unregistered

It does not have a taste. I mix it to a paste in a cup/glass and then gradually fill the glass up with water then I leave it for a few minutes, then give it another stir and then drink it straight down. I have been doing this now for over a year and it has definitely made a big difference to me (and I have been living with ibs.d for over 30 years).
Judith

Re: Well, back when I was doing fitday... new
      #235492 - 01/03/06 02:57 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Uh, same here re: fiber intake. Most days, like Retrograde (Laurel) showed around 40ish grams of fiber before supplementation--which I stopped. I note less D since stopping SFS for some obscure reason.

Kate.

Re: Taste new
      #235527 - 01/03/06 05:37 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Interesting. I may try it someday.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8698 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 854

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review