All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Questions for vegetarians
      #234669 - 12/30/05 03:22 PM
Gab

Reged: 12/28/05

Hi all,

I'm a vegetarian with IBS. I notice that my IBS symptoms change from time to time. Lately I'm having problems tolerating beans, but mostly soy products like fake chicken nuggets and all faux meats. I get very bloaded and gassy. I don't know what to do at this point. I'm not eating much protein right now (beans, tofu, soy products, etc), and I'm kind of concern about that.

Can you handle soy products? do they make you gassy? For me that's the worst thing I can eat. I gives me stomachache sometimes too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gab

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re:Soy new
      #234707 - 12/30/05 05:26 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Lots of people have trouble with soy products. Some even have intolerances to soy. I'm not a vegetarian (but very close), but see if eliminating soy for a while makes a difference.
For gas, fennel tea is wonderful. Crush up a tablespoon of fennel seeds and steep in a mug of boiling water. Drink several cups a day. This may help too.
Also, in the YOGA for IBS at the LEFT hand side of this page has a wind relieving pose you may find helpful. I find it really "clears the air" if you know what I mean LOL!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re:Soy new
      #234780 - 12/31/05 08:33 AM
Gab

Quote:

Lots of people have trouble with soy products. Some even have intolerances to soy. I'm not a vegetarian (but very close), but see if eliminating soy for a while makes a difference.
For gas, fennel tea is wonderful. Crush up a tablespoon of fennel seeds and steep in a mug of boiling water. Drink several cups a day. This may help too.
Also, in the YOGA for IBS at the LEFT hand side of this page has a wind relieving pose you may find helpful. I find it really "clears the air" if you know what I mean LOL!

Thanks for replying!!! Can you tolerate beans? what do you eat for protein?

TIA,

Gab

Re: Protein new
      #234798 - 12/31/05 09:25 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

I am currently attempting to ease my body into accepting soy milk and I am not entirely sure what the end result will be, but there is a possibility that it will cause gas/bloating with me as well.
PROTEIN. There are definately easier ways to get your protein without having to eat anything to do with beans or soy. Have you tried fish? Cans of cloverleaf tuna have a lot of protein. (I think 56g per can.) I eat tuna often. Try Halibut (delicious!)
I would also suggest chicken or turkey breast, but your a vegetarian? I suppose you could try small amounts of low fat peanut butter. Be careful with this though, I haven't had the courage to try peanut butter as of yet.
Unlike you, I am fine with protein, but I am more concerned about my calcium intake. I can't find Rice milk anywhere so I have to slowly ease my body into accepting soy milk. Hope it works.

#234800 - 12/31/05 09:29 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Have you tried looking online for the rice milk?? The kind I buy doesn't have to be refrigerated until after it's opened. I wonder if they have it for sale online???....

I can't really do soy milk either. Last year when I was stable I drank a gallon of soy milk a week. I drank soy milk more than water!! LOL!! I love it!
But, lately I can't tolerate it very well since I got sick again. I can only drink a little bit a day. like 1/2 cup. That's it.......but, I'm trying to get my body to accept it again becuase I love the stuff.

It does give me gas and bloating, too. So, don't be discouraged. I think over time your body will adjust to it. Like you said.....HOPEFULLY!

Good Luck!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Questions for vegetarians new
      #234801 - 12/31/05 09:33 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

You shouldn't really be worried about getting enough protein, most Americans actually eat too much!

I'm a vegetarian as well, and I can't tolerate soy products. I use rice milk and rice cheeses, I eat Quorn which is a meat substitute without soy in it, and smideges of natural peanut butter. Most breads/cereals/flours are fortified with some protein as well. If you can do beans (I can't though I may try to reintroduce them now that I'm a bit more stable), those are also great sources of protein. Beano works for some people to help with the gas, which you could try.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#234804 - 12/31/05 09:48 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

Yes I know. Well I don't actually know if it hurts me yet because I only take around one sip each day. Probably not enough to naturally build up the digestive enzymes or anything, but I haven't had the courage to take anymore. I really want milk and cereal though. But I'm actually too afraid to even try cereal except for rice krispies!! I have been on the diet for 5 weeks, and I am only sticking to the very safe manufactured items, and avoiding additives.

#234811 - 12/31/05 10:32 AM
Gab

Yes I'm a vegetarian... I don't eat any meat including fish. I'm gonna try QUORN that doesn't have soy in it.... I keep my fingers crossed. Actually I bought some last week.... hopefully it will agree with me.

Vegetarian protein sources new
      #234817 - 12/31/05 10:51 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi there! I'm a vegetarian too (mostly vegan, actually). Happily I seem to have no problems with soy but sometimes beans do bother me quite a bit. Melissa gave you some great ideas, but here are a few more :

- cereals and grains [whole or fortified] contain a good amount of protein

- leafy green vegetables are surprisingly high in protein (and iron!). I eat spinach cooked and pureed with no problems for my IBS at all.

- seaweed is even higher in protein - like kelp and spirulina.

- how are you with nuts and seeds? I'm ok with them if I have them in small amounts, and so I eat nuts and seeds often throughout the day, i.e. having about 1 tbsp of nuts at about 3 meals a day. Or a little bit of peanut or almond butter spread on some toast, etc.

- as Melissa mentioned, quorn is a really good option

- since you're not vegan - EGG WHITES! These are probably the highest protein food you'll be able to eat. Why not start each day with an egg white omlette? If you do that you can be SURE that you won't have to worry that you're not getting enough protein

- if you get sick of eating eggs, you can also get pure egg white protein powder too, which you could make into smoothies with water or rice milk or mix into homemade muffins or bars, etc. [If you're interested, this was discussed a while back on the IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board - try doing a search of "egg white protein" there.]

Hope that helps!

#234818 - 12/31/05 10:52 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It's easy to get more than enough protein in one's diet without consuming soy or beans or Quorn or even nuts & seeds.

Kate, IBS-D & vegetarian.

Thanks for being more explicit, Retrograde! new
      #234821 - 12/31/05 10:55 AM
Wind

Lol! I've been on a seaweed kick, lately! Like you, I love leafy greens. Mushrooms as well are a great protein source.
Even potatoes/sweet potatoes are considered a source of protein!

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Thanks for being more explicit, Retrograde! - About the seeweed new
      #234824 - 12/31/05 11:34 AM
Gab

How r u guys eating the seaweed???? what kind do you eat???
How do you make it?

#234825 - 12/31/05 11:36 AM
Gab

I just tried the Quorn for the very first time... and it rocks!!! It tastes really good. Now we have to wait to see if it gives me troubles

I don't eat eggs... I know quorn has egg whites, but I will allow to have quorn for a while if it doesn't bother me, until my IBS is under control.

Re: About the seeweed new
      #234828 - 12/31/05 12:04 PM
retrograde

I don't eat it that often because I can't always find it, but when I do I almost always chop it up and cook it with rice right in my rice cooker OR cook it in soups.

Here are two favourite recipes:
Seaweed Rice
Shitake Mushroom Seaweed Soup

If I have seaweed then I usually just replace it where I would usually use say, spinach, in recipes.

I think Kate (Wind) might eat it more often though so she might have some better ideas

#234861 - 12/31/05 03:16 PM
Gab

Quote:

I don't eat it that often because I can't always find it, but when I do I almost always chop it up and cook it with rice right in my rice cooker OR cook it in soups.

Here are two favourite recipes:
Seaweed Rice
Shitake Mushroom Seaweed Soup

If I have seaweed then I usually just replace it where I would usually use say, spinach, in recipes.

I think Kate (Wind) might eat it more often though so she might have some better ideas

Thank you the recipes look really good. I have some wakame at home that I never used. I'm gonna experiment a little bit!!! Thanks

#234862 - 12/31/05 03:18 PM
Wind

I generally buy it at a HFS. Most grocery stores usually carry Nori & Dulse, now, as well. Spirulina powder is available and is generally added to protein drinks.

It's strange, but I actually really like the taste of seaweeds. Like Retrograde (Laurel) mentioned it's wonderful blended in rice or other grain dishes of a more savory nature. I love adding to to soups, stews, stir-fries, etc.
You're probably most familiar with seaweed in sushi. I even use it as a kind of ground condiment (like one might use fake cheese or a salt substitute or fake meat or fake fish).

It's really high in iron, by the way, as well as iodine. Maybe that's why I've been craving & eating it lately.

Kate, IBS-D.

#234876 - 12/31/05 04:09 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I'm a vegetarian too and am fairly stable, but beans just kill me! Have you thought about soy protein powder? I just bought some, but haven't tried it yet. Quorn is good, huh? I also eat hardboiled eggs on my salad.

#234990 - 01/01/06 11:33 AM
Gab

Quote:

I'm a vegetarian too and am fairly stable, but beans just kill me! Have you thought about soy protein powder? I just bought some, but haven't tried it yet. Quorn is good, huh? I also eat hardboiled eggs on my salad.

Soy gives me too much gas. I don't want to try the powder. I love Quorn

#235167 - 01/02/06 10:45 AM
alicemagooey

Reged: 01/02/06

Hi .Y'all.. i just found this place..(Heather's website and all that goes with it.)
I think i have IBS bigtime.
.I have been all around the internet and different forums and things..but i think this is the place which has the best information..
**There is a lot of MIS-information or wrong information out there.**

I like Heathers idea of fiber from acacia,for instance..

So many places recommend psyllium and things,...
i have been through(, well almost)" Hell and back" getting more plugged up with things which are supposed to help.!

Anyway, i found this thread because i typed vegetarian into the search box.
I have been a veg for about 30 years.

I can offer a few comments:
Don't worry too much about protein unless you are in the building trades or doing heavy work which will tear down and/or intensely excercise your body daily.
.I have made protein tables galore for an average woman or man, and eating a balanced meal of soluble fiber foods,(breads,rice,etc) veggies and fruits and grains with some seeds and perhaps nuts provides adequate amounts of protein..Even a nice baked potato has protein.
When you add up the amounts from the above foods, there is usually more than you would think.

Soy has always given me trouble, as have beans.
a product called Beano is supposed to help gas. Not sure if it does.

Sprouting your beans before cooking them helps the most.

I did a whole study on soy beans and they are not the 'bees knees' as they are hyped to be.
Go to a site called Mercola.com to get the scoop on soy.
Rice milk is really great on cereal.. does not cause gas..
best gotten from health food store.. i buy a powder called 'better than milk rice"..it can be mixed as you need it..grocery stores also sell rice millk in asceptic packages.. it is good also..you can drink it by the glassfull if you want.
Seaweed like wakame is a great source of calcium,believe it or not..as is sesame seed..so that is good news for all..
I am looking foreward to learning about how to deal with IBS better from this forum.
Thanks all.
alice

Thank you Alice! new
      #235194 - 01/02/06 12:53 PM
Wind

Thanks a bunch. People in this part of the world really eat much more protein than they need. It's so easy, in the ways you've mentioned to get MORE protein than a body needs! It's just a mentalily/habit re: protein that doesn't exist on other continents.

Like you, I've done the same protein tables & have had them reviewed by a nutritionist. Honestly, it's really hard not to get enough protein. However, I still have the same arguments with my mother who is of the protein-overdose mentality & will not/cannot ever change her mindset even with data.

Kate.

#236331 - 01/06/06 01:04 PM
Phil-AZ

Reged: 04/16/05
Loc: Sunny AZ

You might want to give rice protein powder a try. This is the brand I use, and it is the only one I tolerate.
http://www.iherb.com/vanrice.html

It is pretty bland, so I suggest you get the vanilla. Also comes in chocolate, but I prefer the vanilla.

It also bakes well. I make a gluten free brownie/cookie that contains the rice protein, and benefiber. Works great!

--------------------
Phil

Phil...why do you eat gluten free? new
      #236357 - 01/06/06 03:17 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you have celiac? Does it help your IBS? I can't decide whether or not I need to be eating gluten free and I am curious when others report they are eating GF.

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Phil...why do you eat gluten free? new
      #236421 - 01/06/06 07:42 PM
Phil-AZ

Beth, I have never been diagnosed as celiac. I just don't want to go through the tortuous medical process, but I do know I function better avoiding gluten. Every now and then I will eat some, and I feel it the next few days.

It is not easy being GF, but it does help me feel a lot better.

--------------------
Phil

#236444 - 01/07/06 08:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So, you never had the blood tests done for gluten antibodies either?

What are you symptoms while eating gluten and what symptoms does it help you with to eat GF?

I assume since you are posting that you still have some type of GI problems, right? What symptoms do you still suffer from?

Just curious as to how much the GF is helping you.

I did eat GF for about a year. I went from Chronic D to chronic C (probably because everything is rice based which can constipate me), but all the pain, spasms, bloating, gas stayed the same. So, I'm still trying to decide if I need to eat GF or not. I did have the anitbodies come back positive, but not the one specifically for celiac. And my biopsy was fine, and I don't carry the gene for celiac either.

You're right, it is difficult to eat gluten free and it is hard to get fiber in eating GF because most of the products are low fiber and also very high in fat...and very expensive!

Glad you were able to figure this out on your own! I'm not able to identify any trigger/problem foods yet! Over a year now!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#236457 - 01/07/06 09:32 AM
Phil-AZ

Nope, I am not a big fan of doctors, or medicine. I try to do it all on my own.

When I eat gluten, I get gas, cramping, and increased frequency. I also get joint pain.

Fiber doesn't seem to be a big issue with me, since I do better on less fiber anyway, and it is easy enough to get all I need from vegetables.

I have also found that avoiding fruit is important, as I appear to be fructose intolerant. Nothing can agravate my symptoms as much as fruit.

If I eat perfectly, which I do most of the time, my symptoms are almost non existant. Of course, that means a life of a monk.

--------------------
Phil

#236600 - 01/07/06 11:53 PM
flowerpetal

Reged: 01/07/06

I know the feeling I also can 't tolerate wheat , veggies , fruit. I feel better if I don;t eat stuff with those things in there. Dr told me to go off theses things since I have been having trouble with it.and far as my dr says she goes on symptons then tests for this kind of thing. been dealing with it for some years now and tried alot of things.

flowerpetal new
      #236644 - 01/08/06 09:50 AM
retrograde

Hi flowerpetal

I'm sorry you're suffering so much

However, it really isn't healthy to just cut fruits and veggies out of your diet, and to be honest I'm really surprised that your doctor advised you to do this.

Have you read the guidelines for eating IF and SF on this website? These can help you reincorporate fruits and veggies and other IF safely. Also for the wheat, is it WHOLE wheat you're eating and having problems with? Or all wheat?

Edited by retrograde (01/08/06 09:52 AM)

Re: flowerpetal new
      #236727 - 01/08/06 03:42 PM
flowerpetal

Reged: 01/07/06

I can't tolerate no wheat at all. I get really sick.

Re: flowerpetal new
      #236743 - 01/08/06 04:50 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Oh yeah, I used to really drag my feet (ok, I still do) about getting fruits and veggies into my diet because they got assocated with cramps. But following this diet has really allowed me to become friends with them. There are so many ways to eat fruits and veggies that are delicious and perfectly safe!

--AC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1982 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6942

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review