All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Questions for vegetarians new
      #236331 - 01/06/06 01:04 PM
Phil-AZ

Reged: 04/16/05
Loc: Sunny AZ

You might want to give rice protein powder a try. This is the brand I use, and it is the only one I tolerate.
http://www.iherb.com/vanrice.html

It is pretty bland, so I suggest you get the vanilla. Also comes in chocolate, but I prefer the vanilla.

It also bakes well. I make a gluten free brownie/cookie that contains the rice protein, and benefiber. Works great!

--------------------
Phil

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Phil...why do you eat gluten free? new
      #236357 - 01/06/06 03:17 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you have celiac? Does it help your IBS? I can't decide whether or not I need to be eating gluten free and I am curious when others report they are eating GF.

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Phil...why do you eat gluten free? new
      #236421 - 01/06/06 07:42 PM
Phil-AZ

Beth, I have never been diagnosed as celiac. I just don't want to go through the tortuous medical process, but I do know I function better avoiding gluten. Every now and then I will eat some, and I feel it the next few days.

It is not easy being GF, but it does help me feel a lot better.

--------------------
Phil

#236444 - 01/07/06 08:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So, you never had the blood tests done for gluten antibodies either?

What are you symptoms while eating gluten and what symptoms does it help you with to eat GF?

I assume since you are posting that you still have some type of GI problems, right? What symptoms do you still suffer from?

Just curious as to how much the GF is helping you.

I did eat GF for about a year. I went from Chronic D to chronic C (probably because everything is rice based which can constipate me), but all the pain, spasms, bloating, gas stayed the same. So, I'm still trying to decide if I need to eat GF or not. I did have the anitbodies come back positive, but not the one specifically for celiac. And my biopsy was fine, and I don't carry the gene for celiac either.

You're right, it is difficult to eat gluten free and it is hard to get fiber in eating GF because most of the products are low fiber and also very high in fat...and very expensive!

Glad you were able to figure this out on your own! I'm not able to identify any trigger/problem foods yet! Over a year now!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#236457 - 01/07/06 09:32 AM
Phil-AZ

Nope, I am not a big fan of doctors, or medicine. I try to do it all on my own.

When I eat gluten, I get gas, cramping, and increased frequency. I also get joint pain.

Fiber doesn't seem to be a big issue with me, since I do better on less fiber anyway, and it is easy enough to get all I need from vegetables.

I have also found that avoiding fruit is important, as I appear to be fructose intolerant. Nothing can agravate my symptoms as much as fruit.

If I eat perfectly, which I do most of the time, my symptoms are almost non existant. Of course, that means a life of a monk.

--------------------
Phil

#236600 - 01/07/06 11:53 PM
flowerpetal

Reged: 01/07/06

I know the feeling I also can 't tolerate wheat , veggies , fruit. I feel better if I don;t eat stuff with those things in there. Dr told me to go off theses things since I have been having trouble with it.and far as my dr says she goes on symptons then tests for this kind of thing. been dealing with it for some years now and tried alot of things.

flowerpetal new
      #236644 - 01/08/06 09:50 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi flowerpetal

I'm sorry you're suffering so much

However, it really isn't healthy to just cut fruits and veggies out of your diet, and to be honest I'm really surprised that your doctor advised you to do this.

Have you read the guidelines for eating IF and SF on this website? These can help you reincorporate fruits and veggies and other IF safely. Also for the wheat, is it WHOLE wheat you're eating and having problems with? Or all wheat?

Edited by retrograde (01/08/06 09:52 AM)

Re: flowerpetal new
      #236727 - 01/08/06 03:42 PM
flowerpetal

Reged: 01/07/06

I can't tolerate no wheat at all. I get really sick.

Re: flowerpetal new
      #236743 - 01/08/06 04:50 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Oh yeah, I used to really drag my feet (ok, I still do) about getting fruits and veggies into my diet because they got assocated with cramps. But following this diet has really allowed me to become friends with them. There are so many ways to eat fruits and veggies that are delicious and perfectly safe!

--AC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2508 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7193

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review