All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Thanks for being more explicit, Retrograde! new
      #234821 - 12/31/05 10:55 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Lol! I've been on a seaweed kick, lately! Like you, I love leafy greens. Mushrooms as well are a great protein source.
Even potatoes/sweet potatoes are considered a source of protein!

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks for being more explicit, Retrograde! - About the seeweed new
      #234824 - 12/31/05 11:34 AM
Gab

Reged: 12/28/05

How r u guys eating the seaweed???? what kind do you eat???
How do you make it?

Re: Protein new
      #234825 - 12/31/05 11:36 AM
Gab

I just tried the Quorn for the very first time... and it rocks!!! It tastes really good. Now we have to wait to see if it gives me troubles

I don't eat eggs... I know quorn has egg whites, but I will allow to have quorn for a while if it doesn't bother me, until my IBS is under control.

Re: About the seeweed new
      #234828 - 12/31/05 12:04 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I don't eat it that often because I can't always find it, but when I do I almost always chop it up and cook it with rice right in my rice cooker OR cook it in soups.

Here are two favourite recipes:
Seaweed Rice
Shitake Mushroom Seaweed Soup

If I have seaweed then I usually just replace it where I would usually use say, spinach, in recipes.

I think Kate (Wind) might eat it more often though so she might have some better ideas

#234861 - 12/31/05 03:16 PM
Gab

Quote:

I don't eat it that often because I can't always find it, but when I do I almost always chop it up and cook it with rice right in my rice cooker OR cook it in soups.

Here are two favourite recipes:
Seaweed Rice
Shitake Mushroom Seaweed Soup

If I have seaweed then I usually just replace it where I would usually use say, spinach, in recipes.

I think Kate (Wind) might eat it more often though so she might have some better ideas

Thank you the recipes look really good. I have some wakame at home that I never used. I'm gonna experiment a little bit!!! Thanks

#234862 - 12/31/05 03:18 PM
Wind

I generally buy it at a HFS. Most grocery stores usually carry Nori & Dulse, now, as well. Spirulina powder is available and is generally added to protein drinks.

It's strange, but I actually really like the taste of seaweeds. Like Retrograde (Laurel) mentioned it's wonderful blended in rice or other grain dishes of a more savory nature. I love adding to to soups, stews, stir-fries, etc.
You're probably most familiar with seaweed in sushi. I even use it as a kind of ground condiment (like one might use fake cheese or a salt substitute or fake meat or fake fish).

It's really high in iron, by the way, as well as iodine. Maybe that's why I've been craving & eating it lately.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Questions for vegetarians new
      #234876 - 12/31/05 04:09 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I'm a vegetarian too and am fairly stable, but beans just kill me! Have you thought about soy protein powder? I just bought some, but haven't tried it yet. Quorn is good, huh? I also eat hardboiled eggs on my salad.

#234990 - 01/01/06 11:33 AM
Gab

Quote:

I'm a vegetarian too and am fairly stable, but beans just kill me! Have you thought about soy protein powder? I just bought some, but haven't tried it yet. Quorn is good, huh? I also eat hardboiled eggs on my salad.

Soy gives me too much gas. I don't want to try the powder. I love Quorn

#235167 - 01/02/06 10:45 AM
alicemagooey

Reged: 01/02/06

Hi .Y'all.. i just found this place..(Heather's website and all that goes with it.)
I think i have IBS bigtime.
.I have been all around the internet and different forums and things..but i think this is the place which has the best information..
**There is a lot of MIS-information or wrong information out there.**

I like Heathers idea of fiber from acacia,for instance..

So many places recommend psyllium and things,...
i have been through(, well almost)" Hell and back" getting more plugged up with things which are supposed to help.!

Anyway, i found this thread because i typed vegetarian into the search box.
I have been a veg for about 30 years.

I can offer a few comments:
Don't worry too much about protein unless you are in the building trades or doing heavy work which will tear down and/or intensely excercise your body daily.
.I have made protein tables galore for an average woman or man, and eating a balanced meal of soluble fiber foods,(breads,rice,etc) veggies and fruits and grains with some seeds and perhaps nuts provides adequate amounts of protein..Even a nice baked potato has protein.
When you add up the amounts from the above foods, there is usually more than you would think.

Soy has always given me trouble, as have beans.
a product called Beano is supposed to help gas. Not sure if it does.

Sprouting your beans before cooking them helps the most.

I did a whole study on soy beans and they are not the 'bees knees' as they are hyped to be.
Go to a site called Mercola.com to get the scoop on soy.
Rice milk is really great on cereal.. does not cause gas..
best gotten from health food store.. i buy a powder called 'better than milk rice"..it can be mixed as you need it..grocery stores also sell rice millk in asceptic packages.. it is good also..you can drink it by the glassfull if you want.
Seaweed like wakame is a great source of calcium,believe it or not..as is sesame seed..so that is good news for all..
I am looking foreward to learning about how to deal with IBS better from this forum.
Thanks all.
alice

Thank you Alice! new
      #235194 - 01/02/06 12:53 PM
Wind

Thanks a bunch. People in this part of the world really eat much more protein than they need. It's so easy, in the ways you've mentioned to get MORE protein than a body needs! It's just a mentalily/habit re: protein that doesn't exist on other continents.

Like you, I've done the same protein tables & have had them reviewed by a nutritionist. Honestly, it's really hard not to get enough protein. However, I still have the same arguments with my mother who is of the protein-overdose mentality & will not/cannot ever change her mindset even with data.

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1960 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7306

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review