All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Is there a diet out there for me, as I suffer from IBS, lactose intolerance AND gluten intolerance
      #234485 - 12/29/05 10:09 PM
Sunni

Reged: 10/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi Gang,

I am wondering if anyone can help me find a diet that incorporates all of the guidelines for IBS, lactose intolerance AND gluten intolerance.
This is getting so frustrating, and I am wondering if anyone has a steadfast eating plan to conquer all three easily and sensibly, that is nutritionally sound.
It is getting difficult for me to remember what I can eat at all safely anymore dealing with all three at once!

Sunni

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is there a diet out there for me, as I suffer from IBS, lactose intolerance AND gluten intolerance new
      #234491 - 12/29/05 10:37 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Well, Heather's diet, which is outlined on the main site, already covers IBS and avoiding dairy (lactose, whey, casein), so you just have to figure out the GF part. There have been a couple of Help for IBS newsletters that have answered questions about managing gluten intolerance and IBS along with some GF, IBS-safe recipes; these are listed under the IBS Diet & Recipes link.

If you decide to do a search on the message boards, I'd recommend using "GF" instead of "gluten free" (no quotes) as a search term. I hope you find what you're looking for and start feeling better.

Take care!

Re: Is there a diet out there for me, as I suffer from IBS, lactose intolerance AND gluten intolerance new
      #234582 - 12/30/05 09:55 AM
ebrbetty

Reged: 03/31/05

Hi Sunni, I'm in the same boat as you. The GF makes it much harder to follow and it seems theres very little to eat. Good luck,we need it lol

Re: Is there a diet out there for me, as I suffer from IBS, lactose intolerance AND gluten intoleran new
      #234583 - 12/30/05 10:07 AM
urufu

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Bath, UK

*sympathy*

I've had to juggle that trio of intolerances, so I can at least say don't give up - it is possible to satisfy all three; and eat balanced and tasty food into the bargain.

As has been said Heather's eating guidlines already cut out dairy along with the other things that particularly inflame IBS; so in following that you're already two thirds of the way there.

The last part is adjusting Heathers recomendations to avoid gluten - and this can actually be easier then you think.

For example many of the IBS safe-staples are rice or potatoe dishes (to give the soluble fibre base) both of which are GF. Or when things are bad I've fallen back on oat porridge made with soya milk to passify all three.

For baking its mostly a matter of getting ahold of rice or potatoe based flours to substitute for wheat - there are a whole range of alternative flours now and in the main they really can just be substituted direcetly for normal flour and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Likewise bread can be substituted with rice or potatoe alternatives to remain GF while still providing soluble fibre. Personally I can't recomend baking your own bread enough - its time consuming when you first start but it soon becomes routine, and I've found that home baked bread is superior to the high-in-preservative GF loaves you tend to find in supermarkets et al.

In fact I can't recommend _cooking_ enough - with pre-packaged foods I found it almost impossible to satisfy all three requirements as there always seemed to be gluten or milk added to the most inocuous things; but when cooking yourself you have complete control over what goes into your food.

It may seem overwhelming at first with all the things to remember, but it really does become second nature after a while. Many of Heathers recpies don't even need modifying; and those that do are usually only a change in flour, or use of a GF bread to make the already DF recepie's GF as well. Going the other way many GF recepies from cookbooks catering to that side specifically can likewise easily be adapted by substituting out dairy things and keeping an eye on soluble
fibre.

Umm...I've babled quite a bit there so I'll stop. Hope I've been of some help.

Re: Is there a diet out there for me, as I suffer from IBS, lactose intolerance AND gluten intoleran new
      #234590 - 12/30/05 10:23 AM
ebrbetty

great tips,thank you.
would I used the same amount of Gf flour in a recipe as regular flour?
on the Gf diet I can only eat corn burritos,heather says corn is IF..I'm guessing its okay in the form of a burrito?

#234593 - 12/30/05 10:28 AM
ebrbetty

forgot to mention..the gf bread I bought has dairy in it,most all the GF food I bought does,this was before I decided to start this diet. what a waste!
I ordered some lactose pills,they get great reviews and are supposedly the best on the market. my dr recommended using them

For those of you who do eat gluten free... new
      #234632 - 12/30/05 12:36 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...why have you chosen to eat GF? Do you have celiac disease too, confirmed by an endoscopy? Or did you have the antibody test come back postitive? All of them? Even the one most specific for celiac? Or do you just feel better eating gluten free?

By GF, do you all include spelt, oats, barley in that too, or just wheat?

I went on a GF diet for almost about 10 months because two of my antibody tests came back positive. But while eating GF, I didn't feel any better. I went from D to C!

I've been experimenting with spelt breads and cereals that contain oats and barley. I've asked 3 doctors what to do about this gluten issue, and have gotten 3 opposite responses (Yes, eat GF...No, you don't have to eat GF because lots of people have the antibodies come back postive and as long as the one specific for Celiac is fine, don't worry about not eating wheat....and the third one said to do whatever I wanted to do about the whole thing.

This whole debate over whether or not I will ever be able to feel better if I eat Gluten is stressing me out so badly.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

So, do you make your own sandwich bread too? new
      #234634 - 12/30/05 12:39 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Or do you have a good name brand to recommend that is also IBS safe? I found a brown rice bread with fruit concentrates in it...don't think that would be a good soluble fiber base. Also tried Sammies Millet and flax bread which is great....but cannot serve as my SF source in the meal.

Any brand recommendations?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: So, do you make your own sandwich bread too? new
      #234668 - 12/30/05 03:17 PM
urufu

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Bath, UK

I actually started making my own bread for sandwiches after the 'safe' rice-bread brand I'd found here in the UK changed its ingredients and suddenly became annoyingly unsafe so I can't be much help there I'm afraid.

Re: A tip about making your own bread... new
      #234709 - 12/30/05 05:29 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

If you're making your own bread all the time, try this. Buy Ziploc medium sized baggies. Then, measure up several batches of the dry ingredients, one at a time. Dump the contents in each little zippie, and then it's so much faster to whip up a loaf. All you mix are your wet ingredients and voila!
I figured out this little gem. It's no trouble to measure out 5 or 6 batches at the same time since all the ingredients are already out.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5963

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review