All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS and doctor
      #233531 - 12/23/05 09:08 AM
meshari

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Kuwait, Kuwait

my doctor shrink gave me this medicine, i dont know if i should take it or not. he said i dont have IBS and am just imagining things.

http://www.abilify.com/abilify/channels/sch_content.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&channelName=Schizophrenia/Sch_Symptom_Improvement&programName=

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

GO SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR! new
      #233651 - 12/24/05 04:57 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

IBS is a true illness but because its a diagnosis of lack of positives (as in its not other things, so it must be IBS) it makes it hard to diagnose, but if he's saying your schizophrenic without SOME OTHER REASON and without being qualified (that is a psychiatric diagnosis, not something a GP should be making) then he sounds like a quack!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

WHAT KHYRICAT SAID! (m) new
      #233654 - 12/24/05 05:57 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Schizophrenia is a serious illness, requiring a careful diagnosis and far more careful treatment than just "take this drug". I cannot imagine a responsible physician diagnosing schizophrenia based solely on IBS-type symptoms. You absolutely need to see another doctor.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: IBS and doctor to Meshari new
      #233674 - 12/24/05 08:48 AM
junevarn

Reged: 12/14/04

Dear Meshari,

I second what has been said. You need to see another doctor if you have symtoms of IBS. Unfortunately there is a lot of ignorance about it. Even my new gastroenterologist told me to eat more fiber! She also didn't know that you can have nausea with it.

I had nausea and vomiting attacks with palpitations and tremors that lasted six hours every month for ten years and I was told to see a psychiatrist! This makes me so angry! I finally found a good doctor and nutritionist who helped me. I had four intestinal infections on top of IBS!

I am so much better now, no attacks, but I still have symptoms of IBS. The advise on this website and the books and supplements has helped me immensely!

Please go to another doctor and don't let them intimidate you. They are people just like all of us, and there are good ones and bad ones. Keep trying until you find one that is sympathetic to your needs. Good luck and keep writing.

Sincerely,
June

Re: IBS and doctor new
      #233690 - 12/24/05 11:23 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Get another opinion. You need to see a Gastro-Intestinal doctor for your IBS symptoms, not a psychiatrist that thinks you're schizophrenic. Even if someone has a mental illness, they can still have IBS.

I agree! new
      #233845 - 12/26/05 03:14 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

This is very important!

If you have GI issues then you need to get them dx'ed properly and then treated properly. And the same applies for any mental health problems. But this guy sounds like a nut.

#233905 - 12/27/05 08:41 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

If you have had all of the tests...blood, stool, scopes ect...and your GI says IBS, then it is IBS. If someone just told you that, or you just think you might have it, get properly diagnosed. However, if your doctor is prescibing such strong meds on a whim, I'd leave him so fast he'd wonder what happened. Talk about overkill!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#233910 - 12/27/05 09:13 AM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I agree with everyone else! Sounds like this guy is the one that's schizophrenic.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

depakote is for schizophrenia but also helps with IBS symptoms... new
      #233927 - 12/27/05 10:43 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

there may be a correlation but I sure would get a second or third opinion.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: GO SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR! new
      #234725 - 12/30/05 06:22 PM
meshari

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Kuwait, Kuwait

Before giving me this medicine, he gave me another one forgot the name of it but it kept making me dizzy all day and he said it was something to stop the anxiety horomones something like that. i told him first time i saw him that i developed certin fear against being in quite rooms because of my loud stomach noises, he then told me its just my imagination and everytime he keeps saying dont worry you will get better just keep trying this new medicine.

Find a new one new
      #234727 - 12/30/05 06:27 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You really need to get yourself looked after by a Gastro-Intestinal doctor for your IBS, not a psychiatrist. Of course shrinks are going to think it's in your head, because that is what they get paid for and it's what they learned in school. However as all of us know, IBS is a real physiological problem...it's not imagined. Go to a new doctor and have him run the appropriate tests.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2929 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1456

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review