All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Good day turned bad :(
      #231955 - 12/15/05 10:35 PM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

So I thought I was having a good day. My hubby and I had decided to go out for dinner because I was feeling so good. As soon as I got to the restaurant and just before we ordered our food, I started to feel sharp pains. Not sharp as in crippling but just about. I am a wimp when it comes to pain so I may also be exaggerating. Anyways, I sucked it up and ate my dinner but couldn't eat much because it was really bothering me. So we asked for the bill, paid and rushed out. When we got home, the gas attack came. I couldn't stand it. Hubby almost took me to emergency but I insisted that I would be ok. Then I kept thinking, why me? And then I felt so selfish for thinking that because of others who have bigger problems. I started thinking about my cousin's husband whose mother died from cancer last Christmas and how he wouldn't have any more Christmases with her. Then I felt really guily for thinking about myself earlier. The pain didn't go away right then but I did feel better because my focus moved away from myself.

Anyways, my real question is this: Is that sharp pain normal? This is the first time I had this problem. And I'm a newbie. I was diagnosed not that long ago. I did take imodium this morning to prevent the morning attack I usually get (which it day and I felt great until dinner). I only took one. I didn't need to take anymore after that because I felt fine.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good day turned bad :( new
      #231961 - 12/16/05 04:50 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm sorry your good day turned bad. The pain sounds well within the realm of normal, though. I sometimes get gas pains that make me feel like I'm being stabbed repeatedly - and they happen *anywhere* on my mid to lower abdomen. Thankfully, I don't get pain like that often, but I think that if you talked to anyone who does get trapped gas often, they'd tell you that it sounds normal to them.

Hope you feel better!

#231989 - 12/16/05 07:41 AM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Thanks. My hubby wanted to run me to the doctor but I don't like rushing to the doctor for everything. I'm find now so I know that it was just the gas. Boy was it scary though. Never had anything like that before.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

I have definitely been there before. new
      #232052 - 12/16/05 10:23 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

And I actually ended up going to the emergency room with extreme gas pains. My doctor basically sent me home saying it would go away.

They make an Immodium with Gas-X in it, I believe. Perhaps that would help next time?

So sorry that you didn't get to enjoy dinner as much as you should have.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#232056 - 12/16/05 10:32 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I'm glad that you had a good morning. When I first started feeling better (as in no D) I still had the anxiety issue if I went out to dinner, even unconsciously, that would cause the agitation that set up the gas. I don't know if this played a role in what happened to you, we are all so different. But Michael's tapes helped me immensely with the stress. Sure hope you have lots of good days ahead!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

You poor thing new
      #232095 - 12/16/05 12:03 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Oh no! I can just see it, you with one hand clutching your stomach, trying to eat through gritted teeth!! I've been there!! HUGS to you!

Yes, I get these bend-over crippling gas pains that have me sucking my air through my mouth, painfully... No fun! I'll usually get these a 1/2 hour after I eat, or from a seatbelt in a car, pantyhose, or jeans that hit me right in the waist when I sit down. Any of these can cause an attack like this.

My BF is trained to act calmly when I get these in public, to either act nonchalant if I leave for the bathroom for 20 mins., or to ask for everything to go so we can scram outta there.

I know you're new to this, so let me say that it does get easier when we can learn the causes and learn to predict these kind of attacks. Good luck to you--

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 901

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review