All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bad day again <sigh>
      #231501 - 12/14/05 10:08 AM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

So my day started out good until 10:30 came and *wham* a HUGE attack hits. I've been miserable for the 4th day in a row. Any ideas? Should I just stick to foods from the WTEWYCEA list for a few days? I'm not on any medications either so I'm thinking that if this continues after a week or two of trying to stabilze it that I might go back to my doctor and discuss it and the possiblity of something to help with relief. I'd rather not take any medication but if I have to then I guess I have to. Better than spending all day at work in the bathroom. I can't get any work done because I'm usually in there and hardly in my office. It seems to always happen in the morning.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

Edited by sgebhardt (12/14/05 10:22 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bad day again <sigh> new
      #231517 - 12/14/05 10:29 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Are you taking an SFS?

Mornings are my worst time, too, but they started getting better when I started taking Benefiber powder in the morning.

I eat my breakfast at work instead of before I leave the house. That helps, too.

Hope you start feeling better soon!!

#231520 - 12/14/05 10:33 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Sorry to hear this! I hate having attacks at work. If you're already taking an SFS, but are still having attacks, have you tried taking Imodium as a preventive on the days you work? I don't know how easily you go from D to C, since you're an A, but Linz is also an A and she used Imodium while getting stable.

#231533 - 12/14/05 11:10 AM
sgebhardt

I take benefiber everymorning. My breakfast these days is 2 slices of toast (nothing on it) a banana and a glass of water with benefiber. Should I maybe trying changing the dosage of benefiber?

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

#231566 - 12/14/05 01:02 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Maybe you should try a different SFS. Two slices of toast and a banana seems like a lot of SF at once. Maybe try taking the banana with you to work and eating it mid morning? Sometimes, eating too much at once can cause wicked attacks. Try eating smaller portions throughout the day.

Is the toast whole wheat or white? Personally, I can't tolerate ANY whole wheat.

Immodium, baby!!!! I know how you feel about meds, but if you use it as a temporary fix to keep you stable at work isn't such a big deal. When you're feeling better, you can always cut back.

Don't be afraid to try what to eat when you can't eat anything for a day or two.

Hope you feel better!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#231582 - 12/14/05 01:38 PM
sgebhardt

No worries, it's always only white bread. I used to not eat the banana and just the toast but since I always seem to get sick, then I added the banana to see if that helped. Maybe I should take it away. Thought it was the bread, but I get this way even with oatmeal or soy smoothies. I used to use metamucil but didn't seem to work. Benefiber seemed better and I was stable for quite awhile but now it seems to be coming back full-force.

Thanks everyone! I'll try out your ideas.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

#231591 - 12/14/05 01:56 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Have you tried stopping the Benefiber or any SFS for a few days and see what happens. Some people have a bad reaction to some of the SFS's. I can't tolerate them at all.

Also, make sure your Benefiber doesn't have sorbitol in it. Sorbitol/mannitol can cause attacks.

Barbie

--------------------

#231598 - 12/14/05 02:06 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh yeah weren't you talking about trying a med that's sure to make you C? I hadn't realised you weren't taking Immodium!

Take it...it should really help to retrain your system to slower rhythms whilst you stabilise.

#231606 - 12/14/05 02:23 PM
sgebhardt

Thanks! I picked up some Imodium. Going to give it a try. Do I take it pre-attack or after? I always get them in the morning at 10:00. Hasn't failed yet.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

#231622 - 12/14/05 02:54 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I find it works best for ME if I go 1/2 at a time. I DEFINITELY TAKE IT PRE-ATTACK!!!

So, I will take 1/2 when I wake up. And then 1/2 after every BM until they stop.

If your D is really bad, you can take more. I usually only end up taking 1 or 2 a day. So, I guess it just depends on how bad your D is.

HTH!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#231627 - 12/14/05 03:08 PM
sgebhardt

Thanks! Hopefully today will be a better day! It's pretty bad here at work. I'm the IT tech and the manager so I can't avoid stress. Pre-IBS I was always able to handle stress well. I am sooooo laid back, but my body obviously doesn't seem to think so.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

Immodium new
      #231711 - 12/15/05 12:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Taking a dose everyday can help the Immodium work most effectively. Try taking half a tablet in the morning and then take another half if you get D. If you do get D for no extra reason (eg. a particular stress) then try taking 1 tablet when you get up.

I used to take 1 tablet every morning and then 1 tablet if I got an attack. It helped stabilise me alot quicker - I think my body had got into the habit of going way too much! I'm A btw, although I used to have an average of 15 BMs a day and most of my attacks are D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1557 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2748

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review