All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Are we sabotagizing ourselves?
      #231181 - 12/13/05 07:53 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I just read the an article in the Nov. issue of Prevention Magazine. It talked about a new study that helps narrow down the commonplace culprits that induce IBS episodes.

Researchers at St. George's Hospital in London analyzed blood samples taken from 108 IBS patients and 43 helathy folks to check for reactions to 16 foods-including nuts, meat, dairy, and grains. IBS patients had higher levels of antibody produced from allergic reactions after eating wheat, beef, port, and lamb. Surprisingly, diary products - a group usually linked to IBS-caused no problems.

It went on to say that if you have IBS, you should try cutting back on meat and wheat.

Okay, so how can we knowingly eat wheat breads and products knowing that the test shows that it causes higher levels of antibody in IBS folks? Seriously, this greatly concerns me. It doesn't talk about celiac or gluten intolerance....it says it hurts people with IBS without these other conditions.

I am scared to eat any wheat products now. How can I eat them when the study clearly shows that there are antibodies for wheat?

Help??? Has anyone without GI tried to eliminate wheat and has it helped? For those who do eat wheat, how can you justify it knowing the results? Seriously, I am really confused. I am not stable....and how can I eat wheat now that I know it has been shown to cause problems? UGH...I didn't want to have to give up wheat...all Heather's breads. But, how can I ignore the facts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are we sabotagizing ourselves? new
      #231187 - 12/13/05 08:18 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Cyndy. There was a discussion about this, in June I think, when Heather referenced the study in her newsletter. Here's a link: Research Re: Wheat

Here's a link to that study: IBS Sufferers Hypersensitive to Common Foods

I don't think you should change your diet, based on what was discussed back in June (not enough info, small group that was studied). However, I don't know if you could have blood samples analyzed for these antibodies.

It's been a while since I've read Prevention Magazine, but I remember finding the way in which they reported or summarized studies to be fragmented. There's a really good summary and explanation of the study at Medicinet (there's a link within the first lilnk I gave you).

I hope this helps! It's the same study, right? Like you, this is one area I'd like more information, more research on!

No, but you should check anyway! new
      #231189 - 12/13/05 08:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Excluding gluten or wheat intolerance is supposed to be part of the IBS diagnosis but not alot of people do it. I did a 6 week exclusion diet and then reintroduced it. The only effect it had was that I got cranky cos I couldn't have all my favourite foods.

Do check. Food intolerances are supposed to be excluded when you are first diagnosed!

And btw, I KNOW dairy causes me all sorts of problems.

So I'm just going to ignore that one.

Re: No, but you should check anyway! new
      #231191 - 12/13/05 08:32 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I agree with Linz, I've been checked for celiac, plus I tried to eat gluten and wheat free for two weeks and stopped because I had one of the worst D attacks of my life! Also, dairy is a huge trigger for me, I know.

IBS is a complicated disorder, we all know that. What may be true for one small subgroup, may not be true for another.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#231222 - 12/13/05 10:11 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

As a person with IBS-d, more often than not when i'm having my attacks the only thing my stomach can handle is white bread toast, or kaiser buns and such. Wheat products have not caused me any issues ever, although dairy is something that I truely cannot have durring certain times, & I gotta say, I miss my rolo ice cream...

Re: I'm fine with it....... new
      #231237 - 12/13/05 10:50 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

My IBS is pretty bad, but I can eat cream of wheat all day long and it doesn't bother me. I digest cream of wheat better than oatmeal.

But, the doctor told me that I DID NOT test positive for Ceilac, either. So, I guess I'm fine with wheat. I don't seem to have a problem with it.

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Precisely / me three new
      #231238 - 12/13/05 10:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I justify eating wheat just fine, because I've tried not eating it in the past, and it didn't make a difference one way or the other. Dairy, on the other hand, KILLS me.

This is why I don't read news articles, health studies, etc. I know what works for me, and I'm sticking with it, no matter what the so-called "experts" say.

Re: Precisely / me Four!! new
      #231240 - 12/13/05 11:01 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I had a major attack yesterday after eating just a tiiiiny bit of country crock butter on my bagel (I made a post about it). So, I know that wheat is not a trigger for me but dairy most certainly is!!

I found some Tofutti cream cheese last night at the grocery store so I don't have to torture myself by eating plain, dried out bagels anymore while I watch my husband gorge himself in the cream cheese!!! Now, I get to, too!!! Whooo Hoooo!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#231248 - 12/13/05 11:22 AM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I think that everyone is different. I have cut back on wheat before and even still dairy has always made me ill. I can milk in the late evening and it sits ok but not any other time of the day. But just to be safe, I have cut out dairy completely. No more milk! I learned my lesson the hard way a few days ago. Last time!

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

Re: I'm fine with it....... new
      #231364 - 12/13/05 04:45 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Has anyone tried sprouted bread? It's supposed to be healthier for you,and I think more bio-available.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2790 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3249

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review