All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
can chicken stir fry be made safe?
      #230913 - 12/12/05 09:21 AM
niclouise

Reged: 11/22/05
Loc: north wales, uk

hi, i absolutely love chicken stir fry (that I make myself) and was wondering if I took Heathers Acacia Tummy Fibre before it would it make it a safe option? I'd hate to stop eating it but will if I have to!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What do you put in it? new
      #230921 - 12/12/05 09:31 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I make stir fry all the time, but I don't use oil, I use nonstick spray to start, and then add water to help cook the veggies if needed, so they don't burn. I only use veggies I know I can tolerate. Chicken should be safe for most people (I'm a vegetarian, so can't comment much on that one).

Post what you put in yours, and maybe we can help you modify it so it's safe.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Viola new
      #230923 - 12/12/05 09:35 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

safe recipe

Do you know that there is a whole recipe index on this site with a ton of safe recipes? You can find just about anything. Once you get used to the diet you'll instinctively know how to adapt your recipes.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: can chicken stir fry be made safe? new
      #230926 - 12/12/05 09:40 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

No problemo! If you just cook the veggies more so they're softer, it'll make it safer.

We have stir fries all the time and a great buy was a wok with a lid...you can leave it all simmering in it's juices so the IF is minimised by cooking.

Re: can chicken stir fry be made safe? for melissa or linz new
      #231186 - 12/13/05 08:10 AM
niclouise

hi, i usually put in chicken, broccoli, carrots and onions, i know onions and broc are IS thats why I was wondering if acacia taken first would make it safe, I was also thinking about adding the thin rice noodles!? Any ideas greatly appreciated

#231188 - 12/13/05 08:22 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Thin rice noodles would be great for adding some soluble fiber , which would help. But you might want to try to sub other veggies for the broccoli and onion if they give you problems. I know I can't eat broccoli at all, even cooked, even with soluble fiber. But everyone's tolerances are different.

Make sure all the veggies are very well cooked as well!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#231231 - 12/13/05 10:41 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm not Melissa or Linz, but do a search on "stir fry" or "veggies safe for stir fries." I know it's come up before.

I use the following veggies in my stir fries: carrots, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, a little bit of baby corn, green beans, and a little bit of red or yellow pepper and onion. I tend to use about 3 veggies in a stir fry.

Before I was stable, the water chestnuts would make me a little gassy the next day, but not horribly so.

#231295 - 12/13/05 01:47 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, well I'd add some thinly sliced zucchini (the insides are SF), thinly sliced carrots (SF when cooked), use less onion (it's gassy - I personally can have some cooked onion fine but not lots of it) and chop the broccoli into tiny florets so it can cook better. Have noodles or rice with it and have a few mouthfuls of that before you start on the veggies. Then you should be okay. But Acacia first will certainly help too. Better double safe than sorry, huh?

And did you get my suggestion about covering the wok so the veggies can steam/simmer more?

Enjoy!

Re: can chicken stir fry be made safe? thanks new
      #231967 - 12/16/05 05:52 AM
niclouise

thanks for all your tips and advice,will give noodles and smaller broc portions a go. best wishes for christmas to you all

one note: new
      #232000 - 12/16/05 08:08 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

onions are a HUGE no no for me! unless they are cooked to mush... so I use powdered onion or I sautee them for awhile in some liquid BEFORE I make a stirfry because they don't cook enough in the time it takes the chicken to cook.. I use broth/water instead of oil as liquid in a stir fry

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2596 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2067

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review