All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: About that Depo! new
      #231000 - 12/12/05 11:59 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Hey Michelle ... I was on depo once upon a time. I tried it for six months and I HATED IT!!! I bled all the time (all six months!), I gained weight, and I broke out so much that my forehead was always covered in a ton of zits. (I never have zits normally so this was freaky and horrible.) On the bright side, I don't remember losing any hair.

Try the patch instead! I loved it, but had to go back on the pill because I got migraines on the patch change day. There is also the new NuvaRing. I don't know much about it, other than that it's a vaginal ring that gets put in once a month. But, those are two non-oral methods you can ask about.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have both! new
      #231002 - 12/12/05 12:06 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

All the doctors who've agreed I have endo did so from examining the swelling around my uterus and sonograms (the painful internal and the external kind), and the fact that I do not bleed normal "blood" but rather my periods are very light and so extremely painful it's not abnormal that I'll be bedridden 5-6 days a month. Once I stopped my periods, I stopped the endo.

Endo occurs in my family, so it was pretty obvious from the get-go when I first got my period and first endo attack when I was 14; my mother has it, so did my aunt, my grandmother and my great-grandmother. I am the only one who was not operated on because of my endo. I am avoiding any surgeries now, because I know it takes me a looong time to recover from them!

I'm so happy I can chemically stop my periods. No periods, no problem.

~nelly~

Depo! new
      #231003 - 12/12/05 12:09 PM
Nelly

I gained 10 pounds in 6 years. Not a significant weight gain if you ask me! My hair has never been fuller, and my bones are fine. I take calcium, which is recommended for women anyway. If they're scared about bone density they might request you take 3 calcium +D pills a day (About 1800 mg).

If your doc is giving you grief, it might be easier to go to planned parenthood instead. They're so much nicer there, and they take insurance.

~nelly~

Yep my bones are fine! new
      #231005 - 12/12/05 12:12 PM
Nelly

No signs of osteoporisis here! Plus I get blood work every 6 mos to check my iron and calcium levels, glucose plus renal and liver function.

As with all my other tests, I'm "normal!"

~nelly~

Re: Thanks ya'll!!! new
      #231006 - 12/12/05 12:13 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I will make an appt and go in and talk to the Gyno about it, I guess. See why she's sooo against it.

Me and the hubby DO WANT KIDS, though. I was reading on the internet that a lot of women that came off the depo couldn't get pregnant. But that wasn't the case with every woman, though. Just most of them.

I hope ya'll won't have a problem getting prego if you ever try!!.

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Depo! new
      #231007 - 12/12/05 12:14 PM
anlikerm

OH, I didn't know that. Planned parenthood?? I will look into that.

Thanks Nelly!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: About that Depo! new
      #231008 - 12/12/05 12:17 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Been on it for almost two years, no hair loss, no real gained weight (losing too much lately due to my thyroid meds), and no periods setting off nasty IBS attacks!

Haven't had my bones tested, but take lots of calcium+D (1400 mg/day) and my blood calcium levels and such are fine per my fibro doc's tests!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Thanks Melissa! new
      #231015 - 12/12/05 12:40 PM
anlikerm

I would LOVE not to have a cycle!! My cycle weeks are HORRIBLE on my IBS. They are usually very bad.....I would do anything to get rid of these cycles!!

That's awesome that it's working for you!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#231024 - 12/12/05 01:30 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh, it says on the Depo paperwork that it will usually take 6 months to get your hormones back to normal before the usual waiting time to get pg so it typically takes up to a year. But that's all normal and it's supposed to have no after effects once the hormones are out of your system...and no periods is a great trade off for dealing with the higher levels of hormones once you go off it.

#231031 - 12/12/05 01:58 PM
anlikerm

Yea, I just took my pill today and realized that next week is my cycle!! Nooooo!!!!!!! That's why I had that bad attack, today. My attacks start the week before my cycle because that's when I get the most cramps......
This sucks!! I don't want to have a cycle anymore!

I might push for it. She said that if I insisted on getting it she wanted to do a bone density test. But, that's fine. It's just a blood test, right??

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5844

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review