All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Tea!!!!!!! new
      #230643 - 12/10/05 04:41 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My daily cuppa is Good Earth's Good Night tea.
I also really like Kalahari's Earl Grey Red Tea and am madly in love with Yogi Tea's Redbush Chai.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Tetley Chamomille!! new
      #230651 - 12/10/05 05:23 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

It gives me less of a headache than other chamomille brands, plus it feels great in my tummy.

~nelly~

Re: Thanks, Nelly! new
      #230699 - 12/11/05 07:38 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I will have to try to see if I can find this. I get headache's too, from celestial seasonings chamomile. I drink it anyway and just take stuff for my headache. Why do you think we get headaches from it?? Is it an allergy?? I can't live without the chamomile tea, so I just deal with the headaches.....

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Yep! Hay fever allergy! new
      #230703 - 12/11/05 08:35 AM
Nelly

Yep, if you have hay fever allergies you'll get one to chamomille. I do the same thing as you! I take half a benedryl to counteract the chamomille headache. The organic ones hurt my head more than some of the others. The Tetley one is hard to find, so when I buy it I buy a lot of it so I don't run out. It hardly gives me any headache at all!!

I totally can't afford to cut more drinks out of my diet since I can't do dairy, fruit juices or caffiene! I love my chamomille!!

~nelly~

Re: Yep! Hay fever allergy! new
      #230707 - 12/11/05 08:59 AM
anlikerm

Doesn't benadryl hurt your tummy?? OOOH, it does mine. I tried to take it a couple of weeks ago and it triggered a pretty mean D attack. I guess because it upset my stomach.......I cannot give it up, either! I know exactly how you feel. I looked for the Tetley chamomile on ebay and it's not there so now I KNOW it's going to be hard to find. If I can't find "IT" on ebay, it's virtually impossible to find!! LOL!!
I will search the net and see if I can find it online, anywhere. I don't think my grocery stores have it.

Thanks for letting me in on that "secret"!!! I love chamomile tea!! I would love it even more if it didn't give me such a killer headache!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

benedryl new
      #230713 - 12/11/05 09:10 AM
Nelly

Benedryl doesn't hurt me at all. Stuff like sudafed and tylenol sinus (which both contain the ingredient in benedryl) mess my stomach up, tho. I totally couldn't live without my enedryl... I've been relying on it a bunch now that the weather is cold and my asthma is flaring up. It really clears up my lungs big time!

~nelly~

Re: Well....... new
      #230718 - 12/11/05 09:18 AM
anlikerm

That's good that you can tolerate it, then. I use Flonase for allergies. It's like $65.00 a month, but it doesn't mess up my stomach cause' it goes up my nose! LOL!! It really doesn't bother me like I thought it would. It smells like roses, so it's tolerable.

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Sorry! That TOTALLY ended up coming out wrong!! LOL!! new
      #230720 - 12/11/05 09:24 AM
anlikerm

I was starting that Well....out to be a different thought! I was GOING to say "Well, maybe I should give it another shot since I only tried the Tylenol PM (it has the same ingredient as Benadryl)and it's a heck of alot cheaper than my Flonase. Do you think I might be able to tolerate it, even if I can't take the Tylenol sinus and Tylenol PM?? That's soo interesting!!

Sorry, I looked at the title and said OOOOPS!!! I didn't finish that thought. I went on to something else....

*HUGS*!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#230752 - 12/11/05 11:18 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Have you tried Rooibos tea? It's very good and it might not give you the headache.

#230757 - 12/11/05 11:45 AM
anlikerm

No, I have never heard of that one.

Thanks! I will check it out!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Nelly? new
      #230759 - 12/11/05 11:47 AM
anlikerm

Hey Nelly!

Do you use the Tetley Lemon Chamomile or is it just regular chamomile? I found Tetley Lemon Chamomile on amazon.com but I haven't seen regular chamomile. I don't know if I can use the one with lemon in it because of my reflux.

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

TEA! new
      #230763 - 12/11/05 11:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I like to mix Heather's fennel with green tea and with chamomile (all three in one=yum!)

I like rooibos...Celestial Seasonings has these rooibos mixes that are fantastic: 1)Poemgranate Red 2)Madagascar Vanilla Red

I LOVE peppermint tea (but I can't stomach it due to reflux)

And yes, I love green tea by itself!

I have yet to try Jasmine tea but I hear it's superb!

There are more than I lke...but I can't think of them now.

Mmmmm...tea!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Fennel and reflux new
      #230764 - 12/11/05 12:07 PM
anlikerm

Hey Ruch!

I have been drinking the Fennel tea for the past month and decided that it was making me feel worse rather than better. I started drinking some of it last night and started feeling bad so I dumped it.

Ironically enough, I was looking through my Herbal Remedy book today called "The Herbal Drugstore" by Linda White, MD and she says in that book that if you have reflux to stay away from fennel, lemon balm, peppermint and spearmint because they all relax the LES and cause heartburn. Have you ever heard of this before. ????

It makes sense to me, since it has been making me feel worse lately.

How you been feeling??? Haven't heard from ya in a while. You kick that cold yet???

*Hugs*!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

It changes everyday or 2! new
      #230765 - 12/11/05 12:08 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Seriously, it changes every other day and a half!

My all time favourite is Jasmine Green Tea (Twinnings).

I found this great Wild Raspberry tea by Stash (organic teas).

Good Earth has some really neat sweet & spicy blends.

I love Rosehip tea, too. It's great chilled.

It's terrible, though...I'm a double-bagger! And then I get in my Cranberry moods. Yogi Ginger tea is rocks as well. Most Yogi teas do. Honestly, I bump into new teas that I fall in and out of love with all the time.

Kate, IBS-D.

So, Nelly...Benedryl works for Hayfever/Camomile headaches? new
      #230766 - 12/11/05 12:11 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Honestly, I miss Camomile fiercely, but the stuffy nose/watery eyes & headache is just too much!!!

Seriously, would allergy pills work? I've got Claritin around from the summer, still.

Please advise, wise one.

Kate, IBS-D.

Claritin will work! new
      #230780 - 12/11/05 02:52 PM
Nelly

LOL! Claritin's great! It gives me a little dry mouth tho, but it's perfect if I have to drive and don't want to feel drowsy!

~nelly~

Lemon new
      #230782 - 12/11/05 02:58 PM
Nelly

I just drink the regular Tetley Chamomille. I've never seen the lemon kind! But I can't have lemon because of my gastritis cos it makes my stomach really acidic.

Keep looking for the Tetley!! Let me know if you find any other flavors too!

~nelly~

Re: I can't find it!! new
      #230790 - 12/11/05 04:28 PM
anlikerm

Crap! I can't find the regular tetley chamomile. I found a site that sells lemon chamomile and others. Here's the link. It's an assortment of flavors for $20.00 bucks!

http://www.famousfoods.com/tedrteaheasp.html

check it out, if you can. I will keep looking for the regular chamomile and if you happen to see a site on it will you email it to me??? merchantg@comcast.net.

Thanks, Nelly!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Celestial Sleepytime w/mint and chamomile new
      #230815 - 12/11/05 06:24 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Re: Yep! Hay fever allergy! new
      #230839 - 12/11/05 08:29 PM
Gracie

There's tons of Tetley's Chammomile Tea in Canada. It's odd that the US doesn't have more.

Re: I can't find it!! new
      #230840 - 12/11/05 08:41 PM
Gracie

You can buy Tetley tea online direct from Tetley and they have many flavours. Check out the link.

http://www.tetleyusa.com/products/

There's no Tetley Chamomille on that site! new
      #230875 - 12/12/05 07:19 AM
Nelly

Can you tell me where it is??? There's only the lemon kind.

It's so available in Great Britain it drives me crazy that I can't find it here! None of the English sites I found ship it to the U.S. Boooooo!

Calling all English chicas: Send me some Tetley Chaamomille, pls!! I have many Luna Bars to trade.

~nelly~

Re: There's no Tetley Chamomille on that site! new
      #231047 - 12/12/05 03:09 PM
Gracie

The second item is regular Chamommile in the canister line.

http://retail.tetleyusa.com/RTProductList.asp?G1=Hot+Teas&G2=Canister

No way!! You FOUND it!! new
      #231048 - 12/12/05 03:11 PM
Nelly

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~nelly~

Re: No way!! You FOUND it!! new
      #231053 - 12/12/05 03:19 PM
Gracie

Plus, you can also talk to your local gorcery store manager about ordering in the tea you like. I did that with Pom Wonderful juice and they've had it since because lots of people are buying it.

Teas, Fennel & Tinctures new
      #231197 - 12/13/05 08:48 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

Thought I would post this here instead of starting a new string.

I have had positive results with Fennel Tea. I mix mine with Sleepy Time Tea. I know there is mint and chamomile, and the small amount of mint does not seem to hurt my GERD. Strait mint or teas with larger proportions hurt me though.

I've been playing with different herb preparations again and found information on Tinctures. I read Atomic Rose's post on a stevia tincture. I don't seem to have much of a problem with alcohol, but for those who do, there are Glycerin and Vinegar tinctures. The tincture seems to work much better than just making teas from dry herbs for me. The information below was copied from The Herbal Zone.

Tinctures

Herbal tinctures are concentrated liquid extracts of the medicinal properties of herbs. Tinctures represent one of many different ways to prepare and use herbs. The terms tincture and extract are often used interchangeably. Technically these terms are an indication of strength used by manufactures.

ALCOHOL TINCTURES

In most cases you should choose to make alcohol tinctures because of its superior qualities. Alcohol will extract volatile oils and most alkaloids from your herbs and will preserve your tinctures longer. Most herb tinctures will maintain their potency for many years. A selection of dried herbs in your medicine cabinet has a shelf life of approximately one year. Alcohol also acts as a carrier for your herbs causing them to be rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream when you take them.

If you don't wish to consume alcohol it is possible to put the required dosage into a cup of boiled water. The heat will cause the alcohol to evaporate leaving the therapeutic qualities of the herb in the water. For recovering alcoholics, liver problems, children or sensitivity to alcohol it is possible to make your tinctures using vegetable glycerin or raw vinegar. Both glycerin and vinegar tinctures will be less potent and have shorter shelf lives.

To make an alcohol tincture you will need the herb, 100 proof alcohol and a labeled glass jar. An alcohol tincture is most often 50% alcohol and 50% water. 100 proof vodka naturally contains the appropriate ratios of water to alcohol. You can use gin, brandy or rum if you prefer. Do not use isopropyl rubbing alcohol which is very toxic when ingested!

Choose fresh plants for making your tinctures whenever possible. Fresh plants may contain properties that are lost or altered when the plant is dried. Dried herbs may be used when they are of good quality. Do not harvest plants that have been exposed to pesticides, herbicides, car emissions and other toxic substances.

Manually remove any dirt from your plants. Chop the plants up into small pieces so that the alcohol will be able to contact a lot of surface. Sometimes a blender is useful for the chopping hard roots. Use 100 proof vodka if you need liquid in the your blender to chop the herbs effectively.

Place the chopped herbs in a glass jar and cover with alcohol plus another inch of alcohol above the level of the herbs. Shake the mixture well to expose all the surfaces to the alcohol. Label the jar with the contents and the date.

If you make your tincture using dried herbs they may absorb a lot of alcohol in the first couple days. If this happens simply add enough alcohol to cover the herbs again. Shake your tincture everyday throughout the next six weeks.

If necessary, you may begin to use your tincture after two weeks but allow at least six weeks extraction time before straining. I often leave my herbs in the alcohol much longer than six weeks and strain it only when I've taken out enough tincture to expose some of the herbs to air. It is convenient if you have small amber dropper bottles to put your finished tinctures in so you can easily carry them with you and measure dosages.

The method that was used to determine the amount of alcohol to use in our tinctures is called the Simpler's Method.

GLYCERIN TINCTURES

Glycerin is very sweet and will dissolve mucilage, vitamins and minerals. It will not dissolve the resinous or oily properties of herbs very well. Because glycerin is sweet it is an excellent choice for children's remedies. Make glycerin tinctures in small amounts because it will not last as long as an alcohol tincture, about 1 to 3 years. Be sure to use 100 % vegetable glycerin.

Follow the same basic instructions for making the alcohol tincture substituting glycerin for alcohol. To make a glycerin tincture you can cover your herbs with 100 % glycerin alone or combine 3/4 part glycerin with 1/4 part water. Water also dissolves some properties of herbs into solution so I recommend using it in your glycerin tinctures when you are tincturing dried herbs.

VINEGAR TINCTURES

Vinegar primarily dissolves alkaloids. It does not draw all the medicinal properties from your herbs. Use vinegar for people sensitive to alcohol or for tonic herbs that you will be taking over long periods of time. Vinegar tinctures have a short shelf life, 6 months to a year if stored in a cool dark place.

Make your vinegar tincture in the same manner as you do using alcohol. Make sure the herbs are completely submerged in the vinegar. If you are using fresh herbs, spread them out in an airy place to wilt them first. This reduces the water content and reduces the chances of spoilage.

DOSAGES

Dosages for herbal tinctures are best determined individually based upon the power of the herb & the reason for its use. A couple of good reference books is the most reliable way of choosing the correct dose. The dosage is dependent upon the illness you are treating and the power of the herbs you are using. For most purposes, herbalist use gentle herbs that can be safely used in large dosages. Commercial tinctures are labeled with the recommended dosage, usually 10-30 drops three times per day. Sometimes ten to thirty drops of tincture is sufficient for a therapeutic dose, other times you may need a teaspoon every hour.

Equivalents
60 drops = 1 teaspoon
4 ml. = 1 teaspoon
1 ounce = 28.4 grams (solid)
1 fluid ounce = 29.57 ml.
1 teaspoon tincture = 2 "OO" capsules
Dosages for children are not provided in most herbals. To determine the correct dose you need to consider the size of the child, the ailment, the power of the herb you intend to use, and the adult dosage.

Young's Rule for determining dosage uses the child's age divided by twelve plus the age. The dosage for a 4 year old:

4/12+4 = 4/16 = 1/4 of the adult dose.

Clark's Rule for determining dosages divides the weight of the child by 150 to give the approximate fraction of the adult dose. Dosage for a 40 lb. child: . 40 /150 = .26 or approx. 1/4 the adult dose.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

Re: Wow! Thanks for Posting this info!! This is very helpful!! ~nt~ new
      #231239 - 12/13/05 10:55 AM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Tetley Chamomille!! Website, Nelly! new
      #231249 - 12/13/05 11:23 AM
anlikerm

Hey, Nelly!

I found it!! I just ordered 10 canisters of it. Here's the website I found it at. Then last night I went to Publix and guess what......they had it.

http://retail.tetleyusa.com/RTProductList.asp?G1=Hot+Teas

I paid 2.99 a box online and Publix sells it for 2.18 a box. I bought all 4 canisters they had. I guess I will go ahead and keep the order I made online, though, in case they stop carrying it. They didn't have a whole lot of it to begin with and it took me forever to find it. They had it on the bottom shelf....

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: One more thing.... new
      #231254 - 12/13/05 11:27 AM
anlikerm

Thank you so much for telling me about this tea, Nelly! It's soooooo good! I like it SOOOOO much better than celestial seasonings.

You Rock!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#231265 - 12/13/05 12:07 PM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I'm not much of a tea drinker, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Peppermint!!! I don't drink it often, but when I do....man I love it!!!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Yea! Yea! new
      #231321 - 12/13/05 02:48 PM
Nelly

I am so getting this through the mail now! As far as I can figure there WAS a store that I originally got it at, but I think I'd brought back my most recent stash from Ireland! Yeah, some people bring back shamrocks, I brought back TEA!!

Thx for the info!! I hope it works great for you like it did for meee!

~nelly~

I AM SO GLAD IT WORKED FOR YOU!! new
      #231322 - 12/13/05 02:50 PM
Nelly

It took me forever of trial and error to find one that didn't give me headaches, and I'm SO GLAD the advice saved someone all that!!!!

Enjoy your tea!!

~nelly~

Re: OH, yea!!!! You Rock! new
      #231327 - 12/13/05 03:05 PM
anlikerm

I definitely owe you one!! I have drank 4 cups of chamomile tea today and have not had 1 single headache!!! I don't know how many headaches you have saved me from........a LIFETIME OF THEM!!! This stuff is the best on the market! I will never do without!

I owe you big time!!!

Thanks so much! The least I could do was give you the website that I ordered it from, in case your stores stop carrying it!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Ditto right back atcha!! new
      #231331 - 12/13/05 03:34 PM
Nelly

I will def use the website, and thank you for your kind compliments! I have a big goofy grin on my face and I'm walking around like a rock star!

(I tried explaining it all to my BF, but stopped because he'll never "get it," LOL!)

~nelly~

Re: HEHEHEHEHE!!! LOL!! I've been smiling all day with NO HEADACHE!! ~nt~ new
      #231342 - 12/13/05 03:54 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

#231460 - 12/14/05 07:13 AM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Heather's Peppermint tea is my favorite. Actually it's the only one I drink. I hate tea, but Heather's tastes like a candy cane. I have tried other brands, but they don't seem to have quite the flavour that Heather's has.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

#231560 - 12/14/05 12:54 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

There's too many kinds!

- Heather's peppermint (sometimes with added fennel and/or cardamom from the spice store)
- Celestial Seasonings peppermint (everyday work tea)
- Twining's Decaf Earl Grey
- Yogi Rooibos Chai
- Celestial Seasonings Honey Vanilla Chamomile (work stress tea )
- Todd & Holland Decaf Assam (with Silk Vanilla Soymilk and sugar)

These aren't the only teas I drink, but they're the ones I buy over and over again.

--AC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 550 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1907

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review