All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bread Maker
      #2298 - 03/09/03 06:04 PM
Mike

Reged: 03/05/03
Loc: Canada

Was just wondering is home made bread FATENING?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bread Maker new
      #2300 - 03/09/03 06:21 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Mike! My guess is that it would depend on what you put in your homemade bread. I know one of the reasons I got my breadmaker was to help control what I was eating, and so I knew it would be low fat and safe. But, then again, if you do make a low fat bread & then chow down on a loaf at a time, it could turn fattening!

But, I have to admit--I've been using mine to make pizza dough more than bread lately. It's so good!! And super easy!! If yours has that cycle & you haven't tried it, I definitely recommend it.

Hope I helped!
Mags

#2301 - 03/09/03 06:29 PM
Mike

Reged: 03/05/03
Loc: Canada

Yes it does, I just got it this weekend and just backed my second loaf. Can you recmmend a good recipe. for pizza & dough?

#2305 - 03/09/03 06:52 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Here's a recipe that came with my breadmaker. The dough is done in an hour! I usually use the 1 lb. recipe. This works well for me & my b/f. We divide this in half & each have our own personal pizza & top our own. We like this, because he can have the non-IBS toppings (real cheese, pep, etc.) and I can have mine. If you need 1.5 or 2 lb recipe, just multiply this one. It says a 1 lb makes 1 med-thin 12", 1.5 lb 15", & 2 lb, 2 12"'s. I just follow the guidelines in Eating for IBS for Heather's pizza's for bake untopped 5-7 at 450 F, add toppings, bake 5-7 more. Have you gotten her book yet? She has some good pizza recipes in there, or if you feel creative, you can make your own.

3/4 c. warm water
1 T olive oil
2 1/4 c all purpose unbleachead flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dry yeast

Add all ingredients to bread pan in order given. (Note: My breadmaker says to add salt with wet ingredients because it can kill the yeast, but then it gives me all the recipes with the salt listed with the dry--could they make it just a little more confusing! --so, check what your machine says about salt--mine is a Breadman)

*Set on "Dough-Only" feature if your bread machine is equipped with such a selection. (Mine has the pizza dough cycle, so I select that)

*When done, remove to floured board, if using immediately. Or, place in bowl greased with olive oil, turn dough over to coat it, cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate until ready to use.

Whew...let me know if you have any questions!
Mags

Re: Bread Maker - Salt and Yeast new
      #2326 - 03/10/03 06:48 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Mike (et al) - yes, the salt will kill the yeast but only if it comes into direct contact with it. If you put the ingredients in the machine and turn it on right away, it should be okay. If you use the delayed or timed setting (where you put everything in the pan and then set a timer for it to come on at 2am for example) and the yeast and salt meet before any mixing starts--zappo. Dead yeast. But baking right away should be okay. When I put the yeast, salt and sugar in, they are my last ingredients. I put the sugar in one corner, the yeast in another corner and the salt in another. That way, I'm safe all 'round!

I have two bread cookbooks that I use all the time because they have such tasty and different recipes in them. They're called Electric Bread. You can find them at any bookstore and probably even on the internet. If you want a few recipes from them, I think I posted a few on the Recipe Exchange. Go to the recipe exchange and do a SEARCH at the top and then type in "Electric Bread" and the postings should pop up.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (03/10/03 07:01 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 950

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review