All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
PMDD - Anyone here being treated for it? - I'm asking on two boards....
      #228690 - 12/02/05 06:05 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

How effective is an anti-D when taken 14 days out of 30? Very curious about this type of treatment or others that may be available. Thanks!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What's PMDD - nt new
      #228719 - 12/02/05 08:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Pre Menstral Dysphoric Disorder....SEVERE pms!! -nt- new
      #228722 - 12/02/05 08:55 AM
bamagirl

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: PMDD new
      #228730 - 12/02/05 09:02 AM
Linz

Are you talking about taking it every other day or taking it for 14 days straight and then stopping. I don't think the second one would work at all well...it would hardly kick in before you went cold turkey!

Why not take it all the time?

Have you considered progesterone only BC (eg. Depo, Implanon) that will give you a light or nonexistent cycle?

Sorry! Never have heard of that before now~nt~ new
      #228735 - 12/02/05 09:15 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

I WAS! new
      #228758 - 12/02/05 10:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

They thought I had PMDD but I have bipolar, anxiety, and mild OCD. (same thing happened to a distant cousin).

I was on Sarafem (basically prozac). It DID help a bit with the cravings...as it was a hunger suppressant for me.

If you do decide to try this and you end up going on it all month (like I did) let that be a clue for you (it wasn't for my docs ) that there might be more than meets the eye...

I would love to hear how this goes! Please keep us updated!! :-)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie and Linz - new
      #228773 - 12/02/05 10:41 AM
bamagirl

Thanks for the replies. Linz, I'm with you on how it is supposed to work only in 14 day on-again, off again cycles. However, there have been tons of studies done to show it as effective, and I think it was the reason it got renamed Serafem - because it was proven helpful for PMDD. However, I've been treated with Prozac once before - after my second son was born, and I know I can take it successfully - no really nasty side effects for me last time.

This is kind of a trial month, because I have to go in for my annual next month and I'll follow up with how well or not well this worked for me. I begin the 14 day dose Sunday. We'll see, I guess. It's just that everything you read says it takes 14 days or better to see the full effect. The true test is whether or not the symptoms cease at the onset of the cycle, and mine seem to do just that. I'm sane the week of my cycle and the week of...the rest of the time....who knows how I'll be??? It is really frustrating!!

Thanks for listening and responding. I'll keep you posted.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Ruchie and Linz - new
      #228835 - 12/02/05 01:33 PM
Linz

Well trials sounds positive. To be honest I'd be more worried about going cold turkey on it than it not kicking in! But then I'm really sensitive to dropping my a-d's at all...going cold turkey meant 10 days of hell for me...and I was far grumpier/irritable/irrational going cold turkey than I ever was with PMS! But that might just be me...the reason I went cold turkey on the a-d's last time is that I got all the withdrawal symptoms from just reducing my dose slightly so my doc and I figured I might try as well try to get it over with quickly!

Good luck! I do really recommend the Depo if this doesn't work.

Thanks Linz! new
      #228845 - 12/02/05 02:00 PM
bamagirl

When I came off this drug before, I had no problems...but that was years ago. I'll keep you posted! Makes me a bit nervous, but I'm already a mess, so anything will be an improvement! Thanks again!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: PMDD - Anyone here being treated for it? - I'm asking on two boards.... new
      #252155 - 03/14/06 10:40 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

Hi there. Did you end up starting the Anti-D for the 14 days? I was given sarafem, which I was told is a new name for prozac?? Not sure about that, but anyways I was given it yesterday, reluctantly, however, I have the more severe form of PMS and am going to give it a try. At the mayo clinic, it mentions sarafem as one that is given for IBS, so I'm thinking that's another reason to try it. Anyways, wondering how you're doing on it if you are.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#252157 - 03/14/06 10:44 AM
bamagirl

Hi! I was also prescribed serafem - and yes that is prozac. I use the generic form, and found that it has greatly helped my IBS. When I went in for follow-up, the doctor wrote my prescription for every day use. I'm only using 10mg/daily, but it has helped tremendously for my PMS and my IBS. Good stuff!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#252184 - 03/14/06 01:14 PM
Serenity64

OH, that is exactly how it was prescribed to me, 10mg. everyday. I'm so happy to hear your good news on it. I was so scared to take it. I must say now I'm worried about all the loss of libido I've read about it. I hope that's not true for all. But you know, I'd even take that over PMS and IBS!!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#252188 - 03/14/06 01:22 PM
bamagirl

I hope you are soon feeling better! I had to take it when I was postpartum with my youngest to sort of get things back to normal. I'm hoping I won't have to take it long this time either. Right now, it is a HUGE improvement over where I was at the end of the year!! I hope it works as well for you.

And the libido stuff...well I'm not affected.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#252266 - 03/15/06 04:39 AM
Serenity64

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that!!!!!! I was really worried about that. Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2723 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1487

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review