All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
5htp or other natural anti-d's
      #228521 - 12/01/05 12:01 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Just wondering if anyone has had success with sam-e, 5htp or any other natural anti depressant other than St Johns Wort (that made me ill). Like everyone else, i'm tired of spending soo much money trying supps and I don't want to take any prescription meds. Any responses would be appreciated!! Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 5htp or other natural anti-d's new
      #228523 - 12/01/05 12:05 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

do you mind if i ask why you want to avoid prescription meds? if it's because the natural options are "natural," i'd just point out that natural doesn't equal safe or mild - many poisons and lethal substances come from nature - and that herbal supplements aren't regulated by the fda, so there are no guarantees as to quality or anything else.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#228529 - 12/01/05 12:24 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Is this to help your IBS or emotional stability?

If it is for emotional stability, may I ask what he diagnosis is?

Hope you don't mind the questions...it will help us give you clearer/better answers.

Thanks!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#228536 - 12/01/05 12:50 PM
taroh73

Sorry! It is to help deal with the emotional turmoil that this blasted disorder brings on!! I've had horrible IBS for years... this diet helps but I cry all the time I think b/c my brain has just had it trying to cope all alone.

#228538 - 12/01/05 12:54 PM
taroh73

The reason I want to avoid Rx meds is simply because I think the side effects, especially long term, are too unknown. I took prozac for a couple of years in the late nineties, and getting off of it was horrible. I also think it permanently changed my brain. I used to be exceptionally gifted academically, and after taking prozac, I now struggle when trying to learn new things. There are other after effects I suffered, but bottom line, having IBS is bad enough, I don't want to set myself up for a potential slew of unknown problems in the future if god willing someone discovers a cure for IBS. Don't want to trade one problem in for another so to speak.

#228540 - 12/01/05 12:56 PM
jaime g

if the side-effects for prescription drugs seem unknown, the side-effects for natural alternatives are a million times less sure - they're subject to no overseen testing, no standards. sure, some are safe and great, but there's no way at all to ever know.

--------------------
jaime

#228541 - 12/01/05 12:58 PM
jaime g

it sounds like it might help to be in therapy, to have someone to talk to, if you aren't already. if you're looking to avoid side-effects, it might be best to avoid substances altogether.

--------------------
jaime

#228546 - 12/01/05 01:20 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I agree with Jaime regarding the safety of natural alternatives - "natural" doesn't mean safe. I'm not saying all prescription medications are 100% safe either, but they do include information and documentation of side effects and adverse reactions for both short term and long term use, and they are standardized and regulated for safety and effectiveness.

The safety of supplements and the ingredients in the supplement, on the other hand, are up to the manufacturer. The FDA only steps in if the supplement is proven to be unsafe after being on the market. Plus, a lot of these supplements haven't undergone clinical trials or studies.

Just talked to my doctor about this today new
      #228548 - 12/01/05 01:22 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I started taking 5-htp over a year ago for PMS. I did notice an improvement - I even increased my dosage. However, as time has progressed, I'm noticing GI upset and the same symptoms are worssening. I actually went to my ob/gyn specifically for my PMS, and she was very negative on the 5-htp because of the lack of guidelines/safety regulations used to create such a substance and the lack of long-term study on side effects.

She is going to treat me with a low-dose AD that I will take 10-12 days prior to my cycle only. I realize my need for help coping with stress/anxiety, but particularly as it relates to my monthly. This is not the first doctor I've asked about it, and been warned not to use it.

I also have a cousin who has been taking 5-htp and inositol for bi-polar like symptoms. She had short term improvement, but is now cycling back to bad. It is just not a safe, long-term thing to do without careful medical supervision. I wish now that I'd gone to my doctor about this to begin with.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Just talked to my doctor about this today new
      #228558 - 12/01/05 01:42 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

5 HTP for bipolar is BAD NEWS! Someone with serious chemical imbalances should NOT try to treat it themselves and so far there is no clear evidence it can be done naturally! (I know cause I asked MANY times...and even the folks at the HFS encouraged me to speak to a doc! They are usually quite forward with info. on how this natral route might work...NOT with bipolar).

As far as 5HTP on the tummy...that is an individual thing. It helped my IBS!

It sounds to me Taroh like you could benefit from the IBS diet, the hypno tapes, and perhaps a psychiatric evaluation. Maybe you need anxiety meds? Maybe not. Maybe some SAM-e would help...maybe not.

I think the best thing is to know what the problem is before you treat it. If the anxiety is JUST about going out cause you can't find a bathroom in time...then I say do the hypno tapes and they should do wonders! If it is more than that...maybe you have an underlying anxiety and you would then need to figure out the best way for YOU to treat it.

HTH and that I didn't ramble or give too much opinion in here...*hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1933 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3996

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review