All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Please help,nothing is working and sick all the time
      #227770 - 11/28/05 11:43 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

I have been on Heathers diet since Feb, I never never cheat. I take 12 grams of Citrucel a day and Librax before meals. I take Nexium at night to prevent heartburn and gastro reflux from the FS. I take synthroid,allegra d and flonase for thyroid and sinus trouble.I take lomotil and prometh when I have my attacks. In the last 40 days 21 have been sick. On Thursday night I had a bad attack at night and every night since. I go on the safe diet when I have a flare up. I know this attack started because I did not get sleep and over did the keep the company happy thing, clean house, cooking, etc. If I do not get enough sleep I have a attack and always always during my period but I eat so SAFE. My attacks on so painful,gas, bloating, d and so much pain. I have attacks in the day and at night but one or the other and they usually last about five days and then I need a few days to recover because my body is so worn out. My gasro tried nortriplyn but that gave me bad cramps and gas. Could it be the other meds causing this? I have had all the test done. My gasto says I am the worst case he has ever seen. I wish I could just not wake up some days and the pity party I have with myself I hate because I have such a loving caring husband who supports me through these bad times. I am 46 and when I am sick I can not care for my grandchild and my daughter can not go to work and the guilt kills me because she is a single Mom and really needs the income. Any ideas, anybody? I do not care if I can never have the trigger foods again, I only want to be normal and get up and go out and have a life. Thanks to anyone with info. Lisa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm sorry.... new
      #227772 - 11/28/05 11:52 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Sorry you're going through this.....I feel your pain. I have been on the diet since August and I'm having attacks every single day, too. I just deal with it, now, I guess. It's like it has become a part of my life. I just started the hypno CD's so hopefully I will see some improvement in my symptoms when I get done listening to the tapes. You're probably doing everything right.....just like I am.....your body just isn't ready to get straightened out, yet. Mine isn't. I'm having an attack right now.....all I ate was a mini bagel and some cooked mushrooms and I got too full and now I'm nauseated, bloated and just feel wayyyy tooo full!!!!! I feel horrible. And I cannot take my anti-spasmodic because it relaxes my LES, too. I have acid reflux AND a hiatal hernia.

Just keep doing what you're doing and maybe get the hypno CD's. Maybe there's some kind of unknown stressor in your life keeping you from getting better. You will get better.....Keep the Faith!

Take care!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: I'm sorry.... new
      #227774 - 11/28/05 11:57 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

Thanks for the support, just to know somebody out there understands and goes through this too helps so much. I do not feel so alone. Thanks!

Re: You're definitely not alone!! new
      #227778 - 11/28/05 12:13 PM
anlikerm

Just keep sticking with the diet and one of these days your brain will tell your gut that it's going to be okay and that it can function normally!!! That's the hardest part!! We all go through it, eventually. You might wanna try homeopathic remedies from your HFS, too. I have homeopathic drops for indigestion, nausea, gas.....all of it. They help a little bit. Better than not having anything at all, I guess. But, it doesn't help with the gut-wrenching cramps AT ALL!!!!! I can't take any of my meds for IBS or sleep because of my reflux, so I don't have anything.

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Please help,nothing is working and sick all the time new
      #227781 - 11/28/05 12:22 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Lisa Rae! Sorry to hear about your daily attacks. Michelle has already given you some great advice about the hypno tapes. Anxiety can be one of those hidden triggers often times.

How does your reflux do with the Citrucel? I have an acidic stomach and cannot do Citrucel because of the citrus. I'm currently trying Heather's Acacia in my oatmeal in the morning.

The reason I ask about your reflux is because I know when my acidic stomach is bad, I have more IBS attacks because my body is not happy. I get a horrible burning sensation and nausea, and then it's all down hill from there.

Your meds are definitely a possibility of not helping with the attacks. I had to try a couple antispasmatics before I discovered Levsin and find it helps a lot.

Also try getting some exercise in! This helps with the anxiety that can trigger attacks, as well as just feeling better in general.

Hope these suggestions help and let us know how you're doing!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Hey, Jennifer! new
      #227784 - 11/28/05 12:37 PM
anlikerm

I'm sorry to butt in.....but I thought I would just let you know that I have horrible reflux because of my hiatal hernia. You're sooooo right about your body being too acidic.....causing nausea and going downhill from there. That's exactly what is going on with me. I think that's why my IBS is messed up right now.

Anyway, that was just such a good point that you made. You hit the nail right on the head!

When my reflux is under control, I don't have D attacks. As soon I start to get reflux....about 2:30pm and 8:00pm everyday, I get nauseated and then I panic and have attacks......just about everyday at those times!! Isn't that wierd!?!?

I take Citrucel "Clear" because the citric acid in regular Citrucel really messes up my reflux, too.

The Levsin is the drug that my doctor told me I had to quit taking because he says it relaxes my LES and causes my reflux to be worse. Just a thought.....it can be the cause of your reflux. Every single time I take it, I get reflux. It really helps with the spasms and cramps, but it's not worth the reflux to me. When my reflux is this bad, I can't eat. Then I lose weight and go downhill from there......

Take Care!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#227787 - 11/28/05 01:11 PM
Jennifer Rose

Hi Michelle,

I actually don't have reflux (thankfully!), just an acidic stomach. I avoid all the same foods on the GERDs diet, but don't have the acid up the esophogas problem.

That's really weird about the Levsin. I haven't had a problem with it at all, although I only take it maybe once or twice a month when I'm having a really bad attack. It is usually my last resort.

As for the cause of my acid stomach, I'm afraid I inherited it from my mother. She's got really bad GERDs, so I was lucky to only get the acidic stomach so far. As long as I take my Prilosec, I'm usually okay.

Those are weird times for your reflux to calm down! My acidic stomach is usually bad in the morning and at night.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#227790 - 11/28/05 01:27 PM
anlikerm

Yea, isn't that wierd?? Well, I also wake up every single night at 4:00 in the morning with what they call "nighttime breakthroughs", where the reflux will be so bad that I almost throw up if I can't get to the Pepto in time. I take so many antacids that usually by the time I get up, I don't have too much reflux to have to deal with.

It's good you're on Prilosec. I did well on Prilosec 2 years ago. My IBS fixed itself after the Prilosec took care of the reflux. I quit taking it because I felt better and didn't need it anymore. Well, 9 months later it came back!!! I tried to go back on Prilosec for it and it didn't work this time!!! So, it kept getting worse and worse.....So, we tried Prevacid and Protonix after that and they didn't work either! Now, I'm on Nexium and it's finally kicking in......but, it doesn't last very long. I'm having reflux again, right now, matter of fact. Time to take some antacids!!

It's SOOO good to hear that you have your acidic stomach under control so you don't get acid reflux and GERD. Do you burp, a lot when your stomach is acidic??? I do......I burp sooo much. It hurts!! And it definitely doesn't help the IBS, either!! I was just wondering because someone told me that all the burping I'm doing is probably my gallbladder and not my reflux OR my IBS. The doctor is getting ready to do a hida scan on me to see if he needs to take it out.

I don't wanna lose my gallbladder!!! I hope it's functioning just fine!!

Take Care!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Wouldn't the antispasmodics worsen the C? new
      #227795 - 11/28/05 02:27 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

When do you take them Jennifer? When you have what type of symptoms? Or do you take them everyday as precaution?

Thanks!

#227830 - 11/28/05 04:18 PM
Jennifer Rose

Isn't it weird how some medications can be a blessing but once you stop taking them and try to take them again, they stop working? The same thing happened to me with famotidine! That stuff was a miricle worker last year, but then my health coverage ran out and I couldn't get back on them until a couple months later - they didn't work anymore. But the prilosec has been working beautifully, and luckily it's OTC now!

I don't really burp more than normal when my stomach is really acidy. It actually goes the other way! Haven't heard anything about gallbladders and burping, so can't help you there. Hopefully your gallbladder is fine!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4007

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review