All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS concern
      #227641 - 11/27/05 07:23 PM
anag89

Reged: 11/21/05
Loc: El Paso, TX

Heather, I just received your books and finished one of them. "The first year" now Im in the middle of the "Eating for IBS". I was diagnosed with IBS 2 years ago but have been suffering since early childhood. My first real attack happened at age 16 and was rushed to the hospital but I remember being constipated at a very young age. I used to cry and scream everytime I would sit in the comode. Finally at the age of 33 a diagnose was given and it turned out to be IBS. Heather, as I read your books it almost sounds as if the attacks are happening mostly to people with diarrhea. In my case its the constipation that will throw me into an attack. I can go three to four days with out having a bowel movement and then I know that any minute I will be bloated and in pain. The bloatness is so severe that it looks as if Im seven months pregnant. I take correctol or senna leaf tea. Which then in return takes up to 12 to 24 hours before it takes affect and god only knows where I will be. Besides food being a trigger can intercourse also cause attacks. I seem to notice that after intercourse I become bloated and start having bad stomach pains. Is it possible that you can give me some insight into this.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome new
      #227644 - 11/27/05 08:02 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

Welcome to the website, I hope that you find some information on here that will be helpful to you.
I think that a lot of the "attacks" people refer to are sometimes about episodes of bad D, whereas people with IBS-C seem to have more continuing pain and other problems.
That being said, there are a LOAD of people here who have IBS-C and if you do a look back on this board, you will find quite a few posts related to IBS-C specifically. In fact, if you go back a page or two you should find a lengthy post about supplements and things that people with IBS-C are taking, so that might give you some insight.

About intercourse, there have been posts about this before and if you do a board search (probably for "sex") you will find some information. I know that certain people do have problems if they do it in certain ways, and not in other so have a look and see what you can find.

I know that Heather does not recommend people taking senna, but as I am not an IBS-C expert I will leave this for someone else to comment on. Or again, do a board search and see what people have said in the past about senna teas.

Are you making sure you are incorporating enough fiber into your diet? If you're not fully up to speed on fiber, do a look around the site and you will find a load of information. Taking a fiber supplement is the key for a lot of people with both IBS C and D.
There are a lot of other things people seem to find helpful for bloating. Fennel tea is good for bloating and abdominal pain. Yoga is also something that people I know really swear by for both bloating, relaxation, and even constipation as it gets things moving.
Exercise and making sure you are getting well hydrated are also very important for your intestinal health.

Hope this helps and someone else with more information can give you a hand.

Good luck!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Welcome new
      #227652 - 11/27/05 08:38 PM
anag89

Reged: 11/21/05
Loc: El Paso, TX

Hi Steph,
Thank you for your insights into my questions. Since I am new to the website and not familiar with it, I take it that IBS C and D correspond with constipation and diarrhea? Now that reading about soluble and insoluble I was going the wrong way with just taking insoluble. Drinking lots of water would only make me have a BM that would turn out more watery than solid and I would still feel "full of it". I am hoping that taking the acacia and more of the soluble fiber will help. I will keep you posted.

thanx- ana

#227671 - 11/28/05 04:36 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I am C. These are the things I swear by:
~enough water (LOTS)
~Soluable Fiber Supplement (SFS) like Acacia and Citrucel
~exercise
~Yogie Stomach ease tea
~I personally take Miralax (by prescription and is a miracle worker for me)
~I eat 5x/day in little portions (helps w/ bloat)

Let me know if I can help!

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#227705 - 11/28/05 07:39 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm C too (going to D if I'm overly anxious). I feel the best when I get both SF and IF in every meal. As others have said, fluids and exercise are also key.

Heather did a great newsletter a couple of months ago about IBS-C. Click on the link up at the top of the page for "IBS News & Reviews" and go to the newsletter area. And if you're not subscribed yet, sign up!

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3885 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 553

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review