All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
So confused
      #225963 - 11/18/05 07:50 AM
Angleyez

Reged: 11/18/05

I've read over entire site,,i'm so confused about what not to eat and what to eat,,in variety and in moderation...I don't even know where to start..I been battling IBS for over three years,,recently diagnosed over a year..Zelnorm is the med my doc perscribed,,now it's working my gut overtime,,i don't think i should be having exploding diarhea three to four times after my meals., it's embarraassing listening to the tummy rumble all the time..I did however spoke to the doctor about soluable fiber tablets that Heather suggested..Yeah!! i can take those with my meds..But will this ever end? Is this a lifetime illness that we all have to endure? Now i'm stuck with weight gain, depression,,and i'm totally confused about the foods..i've been trying my best with the foods on the list,,but to no avail..gas, bloating-bought mylanta for that-burning in the tummy-nausea,,should i stock up on over the counter meds for these attacks as well..???This is unbearable..What about a dietition? will this help me out? This is depressing?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So confused new
      #225968 - 11/18/05 08:15 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards! I am a moderator here. It's so confusing at the start - don't feel bad. Most of us who came here were desperate, fed up and totally confused about what to eat. At the beginning of this board - before you post, there is a bunch of GREEN sections that will give you the guidelines as to what to eat.
Here is a link about soluble fibre and insoluble fibre. web page
This is the "meat and potatoes" part of the diet. The soluble fibre foods - you should base EVERY meal and snack on these. They soothe the colon, and help avoid diarrhea. The INSOLUBLE fibre foods are essential to a healthy diet - but you must be careful. They can cause diarrhea attacks. To avoid the attacks, cook, peel, mash and puree are your best bets. For example, raw broccoli is very hard to digest. If you cook it and puree it a little bit, it is much more easier to digest.

Read through all the guidelines on this website. For starters, go to "what to eat when you can't eat anything". This will help you break the cycle of attacks. Then, you can slowly add back foods, one at a time, and hopefully become stable.

You're already on the right track - Heather's acacia is wonderful. A soluble fibre supplement is crucial to stabilizing. Remember, start the dose VERY SMALL and increase it VERY SLOWLY. Otherwise, you might end up with more bloating and cramps.

May I suggest peppermint tea? It is wonderful for me - a miracle cure. It will stop me in the middle of a horrible diarrhea attack. Drink several strong cups a day. It helps relax the colon to avoid attacks.

Read through the information slowly and carefully. Post any further questions you have - we're all in this together. Hope this helps you get started.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#225970 - 11/18/05 08:19 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I know exactly how you feel. I'm finally going to break down & get an AD or something from my doc to help deal with this.
as for advice, all I can say is to try & stick to the diet. It does help. As for the bloating & gas, drink lots of fennel tea. It's amazing how much that will help. This is somthing we'll have to live with the rest of our lives but as you'll find from the folks here on this board, it is possible to get stable & learn to live with it. One of the biggest things that's helped me is learning portion control. If I eat too much, even of the good stuff, I pay for it. Try eating about 1/2 of what you normally would then walk away for about 15 mins. It takes time for the brain to register that you're really full & if you are great, you're done eating. If you're still hungry then get something safe to nibble on.
Hang in there, we're all pulling for you
Meryl

#225987 - 11/18/05 10:30 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Hi! and Welcome!
I've been around on the boards for almost two years now, and like you, came here in pretty bad shape. Just read everything you can, use the search feature for specific topics, and just ask lots of questions! There are great folks here who will help you tremendously! The acacia is a life-saver for me, and a good probiotic goes a long way too! Just give yourself time. That is the main ingredient!!

Welcome!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#226046 - 11/18/05 12:26 PM
Angleyez

Reged: 11/18/05

'Thank you' to everyone who commented on my post. I've printed out all the information i needed and will apply it on my fridge door..even made some comments throughout it to help me..bought chamomile tea to try and see if that calms my tummy down..I'm going to try my best..I know that we are all in this together and any comments and advice,,i sure do need..I'll be looking for acacia and do some more research..Thanks!

#226296 - 11/20/05 05:41 AM

Unregistered

I agree with bamagirl - I have been living with ibs.d for over 30 years now and since finding this site just over a year ago I have managed to get some control and stability over my symptoms. I would say that the Acacia fiber and a probiotic is what has helped me the most. However - one word of caution - whatever regime you try it will not get better overnight. You really need to stick out trying whatever you decide to try (unless of course it makes you very ill). I am in the UK and send to the States for my Acacia. Also peppermint tea can be helpful and also peppermint capsules. I think most of us have tended to try one thing at a time otherwise you do not know which supplement is helping. In the immediate though I would suggest Imodium tablets - I don't think you need a prescription for them (we don't here anyway) but they may be cheaper on prescription (don't know how your system works). Good Luck. Judith

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 908

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review