All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help!!!!!
      #22595 - 10/06/03 04:18 PM
Ang

Reged: 09/22/03

Yay! FINALLY I met someone in my small little town and have gone on a couple of dates with him... He's great and we have a lot of fun together. But on our last date, we spent most of the day together. It was going great until supper time. He was having hamburgers and onions for supper and there I was stuck without any food. Luckily I did have some graham crackers in the car... but then when I wasn't looking his dog ate the rest of them lol! By the end of the night my stomach was definitely not happy! Since we've only been on two dates I don't really think it's appropriate to explain that I have IBS,what can I say in the meantime about why I have such weird food preferences??? And how do I prevent situations like that from happening again?

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help!!!!! new
      #22597 - 10/06/03 04:24 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Well, what I usually tell people is just that I have "a weird stomach thing where I can't eat junk food without it getting upset." That usually settles them. If he wants more detail I think you should just tell him that it's no big deal and that as long as you don't eat junk food, you're fine. I hope this helps lol I don't know how big of a help I'm being but I thought I'd try! Hope it all works out between you and him!!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#22598 - 10/06/03 04:27 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

That's great you met someone - I hope it works out well for you two!

If you go to a restaurant, you can always order something safe for yourself. You can always say you have food allergies and have to follow a strict diet.

It might be easier if you know ahead of time what type of date it will be so we can help you plan.

#22631 - 10/07/03 03:51 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I tell people I have to watch what I eat, because certain foods will cause alot of tummy pain. When asked which foods cause tummy pain I tell I have food intolerences.

Yay Ang! new
      #22637 - 10/07/03 06:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Wahay! Good on ya.

Just say you've got this food intolerances thing that means you can't eat some foods - like fast food! No big deal. Maybe you'll get taken to a nice restaurant !

Happy dating! Linz

#22645 - 10/07/03 07:15 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi!

That is so wonderful that you met someone!

Honestly, I would just tell him straight out. I am a pretty shoot from the hip kinda person and wouldn't even hesitate telling him what's up. The only reason is because some times it's not just junk food that will cause a problem and then you have more explaining to do.

I wouldn't draw charts or nothing, but I would give him a general idea...if he cares about you, he will care to help you out with food choices.

Sorry I hope this wasn't too blunt LOL. But I just really never hesitate in telling someone what's wrong with me. I used to but then I would just be explaining and re-explaining so now the truth comes out first!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: Next date: pizza and beer!? new
      #22861 - 10/08/03 04:26 PM
Ang

Reged: 09/22/03

Thanks for the responses and encouragement I was planning on filling him in next time we went out, but it just so happens our next date is going to be a party that he is having with some friends. What's on the menu?? Pizza and beer! lol. My two favorite things from which I am banned. NOW what do I do?! I hate to stick out.. just want to blend in with the crowd. Especially since I don't know any of his friends yet...

#22873 - 10/08/03 07:26 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Can you fill him in ahead of time? That way he knows when you go on the date. Will the pizza already be there when you get there, or will they be ordering while you're there? If you have an option, can you ask them to order 1 or half with veggies & no cheese? Or you can eat before the party and politely decline food when you get there.

That's all I can think of right now. I know this must be so frustrating for you. It's hard enough trying to feel comfortable with someone you just start to date, let alone through the awkwardness of IBS in the mix. I hope it works out okay for you. If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know. Hopefully someone else will have some good ideas for you.

#22916 - 10/09/03 07:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Do you like to cook?? Just a thought, maybe offer to make the pizzas yourself?! I make pizza all the time on flat bread with rice mozzerella(I think it taste much better than the soy) and pizza sauce with grilled chicken. You could make a couple with regular cheese and pepperoni and whatever else the guys like. This way none of his friends need to know right now and you can still eat and fit in. Hope it all works out. And don't forget to have some FUN at the party!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#22917 - 10/09/03 07:23 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I can tolerate a couple glasses of wine much better than beer. The carbonation in beer really does me in. Just remember to drink your water also if you decide to try a drink or two.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 984

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review