All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anti-spasmodics or anit-depressants, what works best?
      #224714 - 11/14/05 04:51 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

Hey to all, I am on librax and take 30 minutes before a meal and I take 12 grams of SFS daily and I also take nexium for acid reflux and finally synthroid for a thyroid disease. I just started one half cap calcium with meals too. So it is NOT working. I have gone a week once without a flare up. So my gastro put me on nortriptylin and off the librax and it was pretty bad with bad and gas and cramps so off the nortriptylin. I do need an anti-depressant because before IBS I was on Prozac for 10 years but my gasto took me off that due to the chance it could trigger an attack and I agree with that based on what I read. So any advice on meds please. I wish we had a drug forum to go to. Would that be possible? A place to discuss types of drugs and the pro and con of them all? Thank you in advice to anyone who responds to me. Lisa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anti-spasmodics or anit-depressants, what works best? new
      #224817 - 11/14/05 10:09 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I'm back on Elavil 10mg at bedtime as per the gastro doc. He rants and raves about this drug and won't really give me anything else but all I can say at the moment is that it's irritating my acid reflux at night and I'm waking up with stomach aches at 3:00-4:00 in the morning. I hope it gets better soon!! I like my Levsin better but I can't take them both. They interact with each other. So, right now I'm just taking the Elavil and I take a Levsin in an emergency if I have to have it.
I will let you know if it works, definitely. I will let everyone know!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#224983 - 11/14/05 09:17 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Daily I take 15gr of Acacia (1T am & pm), Hyoscyamine, synthroid and Immodium. So far this is working for me. I tried the Elavil until I found out it interacted with the hyoscyamine, I opted to keep the hyoscyamine and glad I did. Hope you find your way around all the info available on these boards. It all comes down to trying different things until you find what works for you.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#224985 - 11/14/05 09:28 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

For me, I quit taking anti-spasmodics and anti-depressants because they actually made my condition worse. Everytime I took Hyoscamine (spelling?), the spasms would become far worse. The anti-depressants did nothing.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

Are you a D or a C? new
      #225017 - 11/15/05 06:51 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If you are a C, I would think the Prozac and the librax could be taken together. I am on Prozac, and my GI just prescribed Librax. He told me I could take them together.

I must admit, I haven't tried the Librax yet, as I'm afraid it will increase my constipation.

There are ADs that can be taken with anti-spasmodics. If you go to ibsgroup.org, they do have a seperate forum specifically set up for medicine topics. That might help you.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Levsin & Elavyl interact? new
      #225148 - 11/15/05 12:19 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I used to take both with no problem. I'm IBS-D, and the Elavyl helped me because it eased pain and helped me sleep. I took the Levsin as needed. How do they interact? Just curious.

Re: Levsin & Elavyl interact? new
      #225155 - 11/15/05 12:31 PM
anlikerm

They cause a synergestic effect in the body. They are both doing the same thing, I guess, so it increases your body temperature (according to my doc). Both, my regular doctor AND my GI doc said that I can only take one or the other and I keep switching because I don't know which one works better. I sleep better with the Elavil but I am still having attacks. The elavil is supposed to relieve abdominal pain AND diarrhea, just like the Levsin, but it doesn't work as good in that area to me. I was on it for a year, before, and I didn't even have the Levsin then and it worked for me then just fine. I stabilized and was doing well. But, then when I was able to sleep on my own I quit taking the Elavil and have been having problems ever since. So, maybe it will just take a long time for it to start working again, like last time.
Who knows......
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Michelle... new
      #227982 - 11/29/05 12:20 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If your doc "WON'T" give you anything else...perhaps it's time for a new doc?

Ooooh...that just makes me SO MAD!

As per anti spasmodics vs. anti depressants...I haven't found either to HELP my IBS The only thing that works is diet...

Feel good all *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Michelle... new
      #228003 - 11/29/05 01:17 PM
anlikerm

I know!!! I vote NEW DOCTOR, TOO!!!

I have to go through insurance to switch doctors and I don't know if they will let me. I think I'm going to try, though.

I asked my doctor if I could try Librax because it treats peptic ulcers AND IBS. He said "No, it doesn't work." He told me just to stay on the Pamine and it doesn't agree with me!!! It dries me out too bad!! And makes me really C!!! I told him that on the day he did my colonoscopy/endoscopy and he just told me to reduce my dosage to 1 a day, or 1/2 a day....I guess I could do that. I need something for the cramps! That doesn't irritate my reflux......most antispasmodics relax my LES.

Anyway, Who is he to say what drugs work and what doesn't ????? He doesn't have IBS and he doesn't know that it wouldn't work on me!!!! He makes me sooo mad!!!

Anyway, it is probably just best for me to continue following heather's diet and drinking my chamomile tea to keep me from losing my mind.....(Deep Breath~Relax!!, okay...)

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1781 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1977

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review