All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS and fatigue
      #224630 - 11/13/05 12:59 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Just curious if anyone else finds that they are alwasys tired in conjuction w/IBS. I don't have CFS because I'm not that severely tired. I just find that i'm always kind of drowsy and require a lot of sleep on a normal basis. In spite of exercise/vitamins/eliminating stress and all that good stuff- i'm always very low on energy. I have chalked it up to the stress that my body is always under fighting to digest that food! Has anyone else had a similar experience. Not looking for suggestions, just want to know if this is common???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and fatigue new
      #224632 - 11/13/05 01:11 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

ME TOO!!!!

I swear I'm going crazy. At times I have NO energy. It's not tiredness...just no energy!!!

Have you ever had thyroid issues? You may want to get that checked. I had mine out last year and when I did, that's when all my problems started....

Let me know!

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#224634 - 11/13/05 01:25 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I've had my thyroid checked and it is always normal. Can you tell me more about what happened w/yours? Why did they remove it and what probs started then? Thanks!

#224638 - 11/13/05 02:04 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I had a huge multinodular goiter and it was choking me.

My test now is "normal" but I don't buy it. I had a hard time adjusting to the drugs but I never returned to where I was. I still feel sluggish and like I'm moving under water a lot. That was 8/04 and I haven't felt the same since. I was dx w/ IBS 1/05. My eating fell apart right after the thyroid came out and has never gone away.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#224747 - 11/14/05 07:16 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Yeah, I have fatigue problems. A full time job plus a couple of workouts a week is about my limit of what I can do.

I've gotten a little better by stabilizing my IBS and getting enough salt in my diet so my blood pressure stays up, but I'll never be confused with Superwoman. And, of course, I feel lots better when I accept this and not wonder why I couldn't hold down two jobs or do lots of cooking or volunteering or whatever. When I treat myself as I want to be treated - lots of sleep and leisurely reading - I don't feel quite so fatigued.

--AC

Re: IBS and fatigue--hypothyroid new
      #224801 - 11/14/05 09:40 AM
erojustice

Reged: 08/25/05

I just learned of an alternative way to test for hypothyroidism than the usual blood tests. The naturopathic doctor I just started seeing recommended taking my basal body temperature for five days, starting on the second day of your period. To take the temperature, put a mercury thermometer in your armpit for 10 minutes before you get out of bed in the morning or engage in any activity. If your temperature is consistently below 97.2, you may be hypothyroid.

This method of testing may not be recognized as valid by regular medical doctors. It might be something to investigate, though.

Re: I was just thinking this today..... new
      #224809 - 11/14/05 10:01 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I couldn't sleep last night because of all the trapped gas that I had. It was upsetting my stomach really bad and by the time I got my stomach to settle down, I ate again and I'm just drained. My body does use so much energy just to digest food right now, that I just can hardly function right now. It's really sad.....
Hope you feel better soon~
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Astrochick/fatigue notes new
      #224830 - 11/14/05 10:41 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Like you, SALT really impacts my energy level. Sometimes I literally sit there and use a FRIGHTENING quantity of SALT. I'm even "prescribed" by my M.D. to take a tsp. of table salt 3 times per day. Weird, but there is a salt connection.

C or D can zap the life out of anyone, too. I find that salt plays a role in my stability.

Kate, IBS-D.

#224876 - 11/14/05 01:15 PM
azrhonda

Reged: 11/11/05
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

I have the same issue. I feel like I'm on some sort of motor/energy depressant. To me, it feels like a chemical has been released in my body...maybe a response to the cramping etc? I really want to understand this symptom better. Initially I thought that maybe I had Chronic Fatigue. When I got my diagnosis last year for IBS, I had gone to my doctor thinking that was what I had because the fatigue was so debilitating.

#224911 - 11/14/05 03:03 PM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Since you have your thyroid removed are you taking Synthroid or ?? if so, does the Dr. check your dosage amount? This is one tricky calculation to stabilize the amount of medicine you need.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3277

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review