All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new board user
      #2243 - 03/09/03 06:59 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hello everyone!! This is my first post so be gentle with me! I've been diagnosed with ibs for the past 4 years (although thinking back...it helped me make sense of a lot when I was younger) and I read Heather's book last year. I'm still finding it quite hard to implement all the diet - habits of a lifetime! - and these boards look really good. It's nice to know you're all out there. One question I have is about when I come over to Florida in the summer, I'm a little worried about how to manage my diet eg in the theme parks, and when my family love going to all-you-can-eat buffets. I don't want a miserable time - any advice?
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new board user new
      #2256 - 03/09/03 12:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

A thousand welcomes! We are all glad you are here. You need not worry - everyone here has been so sweet and helpful. I have learned a lot so don't be bashful about asking questions! I know how you feel about implementing the diet and giving up some things. It is so hard, sometimes. It's nice to know that there's lots of us out there going through the same thing. As for Florida, you will be just fine. The amusement parks are easy - just pack some safe staples with you in your fanny pak or nap sack and you'll be OK. I always freeze a bottle of frozen water the night before and then I have cold water all day in my bag. Might want to freeze a couple. You can check out the recipe board for travel snacks - I know there was lots of discussion on it earlier. Things like low-fat rice krispy squares (make your own or buy them) can be wrapped up and will keep all day. Heather's Pizza Party Snack Mix is yummy and goes well in a ziploc. Pretzels are often a safer choice at amusement parks. I have even found some have frozen fruit treats that are dairy free - like a frozen fruit sorbet. As for eating out - the nice thing about buffets is you can "look it all over" and make your own choices. Stick to grilled chicken or fish, steamed veggies, rice, white buns, etc. and you'll be fine. Sometimes there's even baked potatoes. If you can't eat anything on the buffet, there are often menus that you can look at. If it is only a buffet, surely you will find SOMETHING that you can eat. Load up on the white bread, and look for safe foods. If you're not sure, ask the servers. Don't be bashful. That's what they're there for. You can always sweetly ask for a bowl of rice or a side of steamed vegetables. Hope you post again soon. Take care!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#2257 - 03/09/03 12:37 PM
Mike

Reged: 03/05/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome I'm new to,I was told by my Doc. about 2 weeks Ago. I found this board from The First Year IBS. Great book & great board, The people here are great ! If you need help this is the place to get it.I still have alot to learn but i'm in the right place. Good luck on your trip to the U.S I'm from Canada.

#2260 - 03/09/03 12:58 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I'm so pleased to have been made to feel so welcome so quickly - thank you! It seems that most people posting are from the US and Canada, is there anyone else from the UK on board? Anyhow, I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#2287 - 03/09/03 04:59 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Sarah - Welcome. Welcome. Welcome. Is that gentle enough???

Seriously, glad to have you on board. Re the Florida thing, HanSolo is right. She said what I was going to say. You can also bake some treats that you and the family can enjoy that are safe for you and that don't need refrigeration. Just buy everybody a BIG fanny pack so they can all carry IBS safe stuff--make sure they can have some too. That way, they won't mind carrying it around!

Take lots of summer clothes--it gets hot and humid on the East Coast USA in the summertime.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2289 - 03/09/03 05:13 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi and Welcome to the board!

I agree with HanSolo! Don't be scared to tell the waiters you require food other than what they are serving.
Just tell them it's food allergies. I had my birthday last month and the waitress at the restuarant was wonderful.

With all the food allergies now a days - waiters and waitresses and the cooks are much more accepting of
some people requiring certain food.

I was really worried originally about "bothering" the restuarant with my "allergies" but they are always happy
to help.

Best wishes and welcome aboard,

Lana_Marie

PS - I can't remember whom exactly, but there are a few people from the UK on here. Just check out the
profiles to find out who.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1542 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1329

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review