All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
uncaring doctors - anyone had this experience?
      #224233 - 11/11/05 06:06 AM
snuffie

Reged: 08/01/04

I have been at wit's end with my IBS and the last time I spoke with my doctor he said (direct quote) "Wear diapers and get on with your life"! OUch!
Anyone else had this type of thing happen?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: uncaring doctors - anyone had this experience? new
      #224331 - 11/11/05 12:08 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

That's a terrible, nasty thing for your doctor to say. Are you going to get a new doctor now? I hope so!

Oh, I was just talking to a friend about this and his theory is that some doctors become defensive because they don't know what to do. So, instead of saying, "I don't know," doing research on IBS, and/or referring you to someone who could be more helpful, they blame the patient.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (11/11/05 12:17 PM)

that makes sense... new
      #224341 - 11/11/05 12:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've had my share of so called doctors who have said cruel remarks like that. I think Maria is right though. Some doctors blame the patient rather than admit they are the ones who are clueless. I think the majority of them are like that, unfortunately.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#224349 - 11/11/05 12:41 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

That is the most unprofessional thing a doctor could say--not to mention rude and dehumanizing. Please, change doctors. Nobody, no-body or nobody's body, deserves that treatment.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: that makes sense... new
      #224353 - 11/11/05 12:51 PM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

It's definitely time to find a new doctor. You can also report him to the State medical review board.

My doctor is not as bad, but he will try to distract me with other things. Most recent was my cholesterol readings and my intestine problems were again ignored.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

#224375 - 11/11/05 01:26 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Yeah! I remember telling my doctor at the time that I was having a lot of trouble digesting food, and my stomach had expanded 6 inches in a week. He said "Aww don't worry, you're not fat" I mean what the hell is that?? And I asked if there were meds to help with my digestive problems and he said no! Apparently they do not exist. Except for the fact that I'm ON ONE NOW. My GI doctor, after diagnosing me with IBS (amongst several other things), told me to just eat a bowl of bran each morning...man that would KILL!!

--------------------
IBS-C

What med are you on for GI problems?-nt new
      #224386 - 11/11/05 01:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#224426 - 11/11/05 05:16 PM
snuffie

thanx guys! I needed to vent! I'm in the process of looking for another doc.

#224629 - 11/13/05 12:49 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Absolutely. The last doctor I went to- at my wits end- I spent at least 20 minutes details the agonizing symptoms and how it had overtaken every second of my life. His response was "so you're a little uncomfortable- what do you want me to do for you". The doctor before that suggested I get a shrink. And then, thank god, I found this sight. They (docs) can be absolute IDIOTS.

#224642 - 11/13/05 02:49 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

what a jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had my doc think i had an eating disorder...and he told me nothing was wrong with me, when i had lost 10 pounds in a month (i wasn't overweight) it took me to get to 100 pounds untill they treated me like i actually had a issue (i wouldn't recomend that)

Re: that makes sense... new
      #224648 - 11/13/05 03:25 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

what was the name and location of this doctor? this sounds very familiar

would you mind telling me.... new
      #224649 - 11/13/05 03:26 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

the name and location of this doctor? this sounds very familiar

So I'm not not the only one? new
      #224650 - 11/13/05 03:33 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I gave up on doctors for some of the reasons mentioned here. They go for many years for training in the medical field and the best they can do for you is give you the cold shoulder.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

here's what I would do if needed.......lol new
      #224654 - 11/13/05 04:13 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I'd write a letter to his insurance carriers, the state medical board and HIM and let them know what his response was and if your health worsened due to an intentional lack of appropriate treatment. That might at least get his attention a tiny bit. Who knows if others have done the same thing? Enough letters start coming in and maybe the powers that be would start paying attention.

Oh, yeah. new
      #224655 - 11/13/05 04:18 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You don't deserve to be treated that way! None of us do!

The pain and the shame is lonely and isolating as it is, without flippant, judgemental, uncaring remarks from the doctors we're supposed to trust! I've been there too, unf!

I found my current doc after a string of 5 professionals who were supposed to help me but instead ordered painful and debilitating tests on me, then shrugged their shoulders and said they couldn't help me. The first day I saw my current doc I told him I'd given up on medicine curing me, and was instead just seeking long-term pain management and better quality of life. We went from there, and I've never been healthier or happier.

Stay strong and stay proactive about your health! You can find a better doctor who will listen and care, I promise. I draw a lot of strength from these boards, and there are a lot of caring people here with good insight on what you're going through!

~nelly~

Re: What med are you on for GI problems?-nt new
      #224692 - 11/13/05 07:54 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Oh my Protonix for my upper digestive probs. But the fact that he said there are NO digestive meds at all...what a dickhead.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: What med are you on for GI problems?-nt new
      #224717 - 11/14/05 05:16 AM
snuffie

thanx all of you. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Lol!

Re: would you mind telling me.... new
      #224730 - 11/14/05 06:40 AM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Same-o same-o. Been to Drs. in MO & UT....they just don't have any clue about IBS because it affects each person differently. Drs. don't have a "one pill cures all" for this maladly so they just guess.......sad, very sad!

Re: would you mind telling me.... new
      #224734 - 11/14/05 06:45 AM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

same-o same-o...Drs. don't have a "one pill cures all" for this malady so they just keep guessing. Each individual is totally different and they don't have the knowledge or time to figure out just what works for that individual.

YES INDEED! new
      #224950 - 11/14/05 05:23 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

sorry your doctor was such an @$$ to you! its ubelievable how uncaring they can be considering how caring they are supposed to be. i saw so many doc's and all with the same answers--it'll pass. my long-term family doc gave me a box of laxatives to take for "relief". and when i found that no more BM's came from my laxies he told me to increase the amount i take. he kept on telling me the same thing to up, up, up my dosage until i had a full-blown problem with laxative-abuse. when i went back to see him he basically took no responsibility for his words and let me feel it was my own control problem [!?] grr---anyways, i got over it but it was hard. i wish doctors would be more sympathetic towards their patients. its made seeing a doctor that much more harder for me b/c i dont want to deal with the stress of trying to make them understand my situation. and with my complex and restricted vegan diet, it seems nearly impossible. *sigh* good luck! hopefully you can find a nicer doc!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3481 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2771

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review