All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and menstrual cycle
      #224118 - 11/10/05 10:45 AM
lkwas

Reged: 09/11/05

Over the past few months I've noticed that I begin to get stronger IBS symptoms about 1 to 2 weeks prior to my menstrual cycle. No matter what I eat nothing agrees with me. I have extreme gas a constant upset stomach and become very depressed. I've talked to my doctor who wants to do some bloodwork to see if anyhing shows up. She also told me to take Nexium a week before my period and continue until a week after. I really just need to know that I'm not going crazy mentally because my symptoms are so constant. I'd appreciate all and any information to this problem. Thanks and Good Health Lkwas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and menstrual cycle new
      #224121 - 11/10/05 10:52 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I have the same problem. About a week or so before my period, no matter what I do, I have bad gas & a bloated belly. The same goes for a week or so afterwards. You're not going crazy. The way I figure it, I have about 6 days a month when I can actually fit in my pants!
Meryl

#224122 - 11/10/05 11:07 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Yeah I hear ya, I get the same thing. Pretty amazing what our bodies can do. I get pretty neasous a week before mine & my C seems to come back. But once I'm on it I get D for the first 2 days. I just look at the calander when I start not feeling so well & that explains it. No you're not losing your mind....

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#224154 - 11/10/05 01:55 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

We are both in the same boat and I am sure other women on the board are in with us. I am sure it has to do with our hormonal balance and with our period our hormones go crazy. I just try to eat simple bland food when I know my period is coming. Good luck

Re: Hate it, hate it, hate it!!! new
      #224164 - 11/10/05 04:15 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I'm right along with ya'll!!! I can pinpoint by my calendar also why I've gotten D the day that I get it. I have it for a day or two just before I ovulate, then a day or two before I get my period, anything can give me D! I say the exact same thing as someone else said, I have about 7 good days a month!!!! I'm constantly saying to my husband, "just be me for 1 month and see if you can handle it". It SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! It really does. Hormones apparently play an important factor in this. Hmmmmm how can we get rid of hormones all together????? Don't think it's possible. I guess when we are in our 60's maybe our IBS will be gone???? Grrrrrrrr I can't wait that long!!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#224167 - 11/10/05 04:32 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

For all of us on birth control......One of my IBS buddies on this board suggested that I get a prescription for Seasonalle. Then you only have 4 times out of the year when you really have to deal with the bad IBS symptoms that accompany our cycles. I am going to give it a try next time I go to the gyno. I feel your pain! I, too, am only having about 7 good days a month and this week was supposed to be my one good week this month and I had my colonoscopy/endoscopy. So, I guess I get NO GOOD DAYS this month!!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#224367 - 11/11/05 01:06 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

One of my IBS buddies on this board suggested that I get a prescription for Seasonalle. Then you only have 4 times out of the year when you really have to deal with the bad IBS symptoms that accompany our cycles.

Note that you don't need Seasonelle particularly - you can use any monophasic pill or the patch or NuvaRing to cut down on the number of (fake) periods you have. Seasonelle is sorta high-dose, so I'm hoping to try this out with NuvaRing next spring....

--AC

Oh yeah!! new
      #224371 - 11/11/05 01:14 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Even when I'm pretty stable, I can always expect IBS attacks during the first few days of my period (actually my period usually arrives with the fanfare of D attack... lovely!! ) I just usually try to eat really safely (sometime the BTC diet for a day if necessary) during that time of the month.

I wouldn't worry about anything being wrong with you... there have been lots of studies that have shown that this is unfortunately *very* typical of women with IBS - there is obviously some hormonal connection there.

On the BC note, I've tried skipping my periods now and then just on the regular dose one (not Seasonelle) for other reasons like vacations, boyfriend in town etc... and for some reason all 3 times I've skipped it I've ended up with an IBS flare-up... Now, admittedly that could be a total coincidence. But maybe my body doesn't like the hormone overload either... Who knows. I know other people on the boards have had success with controlling their periods as a way of preventing these period-related attacks though! HTH!

Re: I'm going through this right now and it hurts soooo bad!!! :( new
      #226096 - 11/18/05 03:00 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Next week is my cycle (well, two days...Sunday) I have been eating nothing but dry cereal, rice and bread all day today and my stomach is so upset, gas is SOOOO trapped, I can't get it out and the pain is soo intense. I have been drinking fennel tea all day, hoping that some of this gas will release but it probably won't until morning.
Is there anything else I can do to help???
I literally want to die, at the moment. This is so Intense!!
BOOOO......:(

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4475 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1202

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review