All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
something everyone with IBS is overlooking
      #223998 - 11/09/05 08:05 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

we can modify our diets and take every supplement out there, but the simple fact is that IBS is largely related to food allergies. for whatever reason, people with ibs are more susceptible to food allergies than those with healthy digestive systems. some of you may have heard of NAET to treat allergies and i'm starting to hear about numerous success stories as a result of this technique. i strongly urge everyone on the boards to consult with a NAET practitioner or at least do some research. i recently started my allergy treatments and am planning on sticking with it. good luck everyone

j-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

good advice, but... new
      #224002 - 11/09/05 09:01 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'd also like to emphasize that not everyone has IBS as a result of food allergies. I do not. Therefore, I would tend to disagree with your idea that IBS is largely related to food allergies... the cases and causes vary as much as the individuals who have IBS do.

On the other hand, it's a very good idea to be tested if you've never been, because an IBS diagnosis is typically made when everything else has been ruled out. It's definitely best to be thorough, for the sake of getting a proper diagnosis.

Good luck with your treatments!

Re: good advice, but... new
      #224005 - 11/09/05 09:11 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

Food allergies may not always cause IBS, but they can also arise as a result of IBS...even on a very subtle level. This is what was described to me by my practitioner...so it still may be worth it to get tested. just a thought. thanks for your feedback.

j-

Re: good advice, but... new
      #224017 - 11/10/05 01:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I checked out the site...thanks for the mention!

I wanted to check the book out from my local library...any idea why I can't get it there? I can get Nutritional Healing and books by other holistic docs like Dr. Bernard Jensen.

I'm just wondering why I can't find their books in the library too?

Thanks so much!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Where do you find a NAET practitioner ? new
      #224068 - 11/10/05 08:27 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How are you feeling now that you are following the advice?

I have not read very good reports on the reliability/validity of these tests. I read where they sent blood to 4 different labs and all 4 places gave different foods to stay away from. some where common foods, but some labs listed 4 or 5 while others listed up to 10 or more.

Plus, they said it wouldn't be valid if you are not presently consuming the product. So, if I am dairy free, it won't tell dairy is a problem. I don't eat soy because I'm afraid I will get gas....so the test wouldn't tell me if I indeed have a problem with it because I don't currently eat/drink it. Same with gluten.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Where do you find a NAET practitioner ? new
      #224070 - 11/10/05 08:32 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Beth, check out this link:http://www.naet.com/subscribers/index.html
I have been treated for allergies like that, and it seemed to have helped.

--------------------
nicky

I second Casey on this one... new
      #224097 - 11/10/05 09:31 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Not all IBS is caused by allergies - mine isn't either - and sometimes allergies can be misdiagnosed as IBS. This is why it would be important to get the tests if you do suspect that this might be you. Of course, sometimes people also have both IBS AND food allergies.

But remember that NOT EVERYONE who has IBS is really suffering from food allergies - IBS is based on a complex brain-gut interaction.

Re: something everyone with IBS is overlooking new
      #224119 - 11/10/05 10:48 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've never heard of IBS being caused by food allergies. I believe food allergies is a whole different thing. I have a few food allergies of my own and my symptoms are typically any or all of the following: swelling and itchiness of my tongue, swelling of my throat, increased sinus congestion and breathing difficulties, fatigue and nausea. The only one of those symptoms similar to IBS is nausea.

IBS is currently thought to be caused by a brain-gut dysfunction. Food allergies, I think, have something to do with one's immune system in which it responds inappropriately to certain stimuli.

Of course, it is possible that symptoms for food allergies may be mistaken for IBS, which is why others who have responded to your message are suggesting testing to make sure.

However, I know in Canada it is difficult to test for food allergies because the standard tests here are highly inaccurate. Unfortunately, the best conventional way to test is still by elimination -- by trying foods one by one and seeing how you respond. In Canada, there are also no conventional methods to effectively treat food allergies. Therefore, the holistic/naturopath approach may be the only viable alternative for testing and treatment.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review