All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Celiac and IBS?
      #222746 - 11/02/05 10:13 AM
sanIL

Reged: 11/02/05

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Celiac Disease (wheat free) and now the doctor thinks I also have IBS. Anyone out there in the same boat? Gluten-Free diet is bad enough but now (what I've read so far) IBS eliminates most of what I can eat (cheese, OILs) Can any one shed some light as to if ANY oil is safe? most of my GF foods use oil (corn, sunflower) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! SanIL

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Celiac and IBS? new
      #222752 - 11/02/05 10:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oils are safe. It's just high levels of fat that aren't. I use canola oil for baking and olive oil for stir-frying all the time.

There's still chicken, fish, loads of veggies and the SF GF grains like quinoa...as well as rice and potatoes. LOADSA food.

#222890 - 11/03/05 05:36 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hello! I was diagnosed with celiac disease a year ago after about 7 years of belly troubles. (i'm only 22 now) I had to really cut back diet wise. I lost about 30 lbs right away and finally figured out what to eat. Combining the diets are much easier than I had anticipated. Make sure to find gluten free bread without triggers (I ended up making my own and it was well worth it)... I, however, now have found out I don't have celiac disease. I had positive bloodwork and negative biopsy, but my doc told me that was common. (NOT TRUE!!!!!) So long story short--it was my gallbladder all along. I'm doing a ton better, but I did a year of IBS/GF dieting, so any questions I can answer, I certainly will! It's all about finding substitutes for everything. It's tough, but it'll just start becoming second nature soon enough! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A

So, you're eating wheat product now? new
      #222928 - 11/03/05 07:38 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How did you find out that a positive antibody test and a negative biopsy is not true? If it's not common, wouldn't that indicate celiac?

How's it going without your gallbladder? I think about you often since we had such similar test results! I'm still not brave enough to attempt eating wheat products after a year of being GF.

Oh, my 4th opinion doc also says he doesn't want the gallbladder out.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: So, you're eating wheat product now? new
      #222946 - 11/03/05 08:26 AM
Aly

Well, my family doctor said that the only firm positive diagnosis for celiac is a biopsy...and mine was negative. My stupid GI doc thought b/c I had been off wheat for a week that I was just healed--but I always wondered why I never felt better! My family doc said that 7 days is not long enough to heal the damage if there was any...so he told me to eat wheat and enjoy it! It's been almost a month now and I am doing well! I even go out to dinner! My life has been jumpstarted back again and I couldn't be happier. Don't get me wrong--my bowels are still kinda messed up. Miralax is way too strong and gives me lots of spasms, but being on nothing made me constipated a bit...still, nothing like I was before. So I'm about to try getting on fiber. I think it should help--I hadn't needed it while I was eating GF and taking Miralax...so I might try that soon, but I'm doing so well! I'm sorry that your situation doesn't allow you to get it out and get better--but sometimes the chronic D I've read about could be even worse! Hang in there!!!

--------------------
IBS-A

#222950 - 11/03/05 08:38 AM
budahbelly

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: Virginia

Hey sanIL,
I have both IBS(C) and Celiac (about 3+ yrs now) too. My celiac is under control, but I'm still feeling generally pretty bad with IBS, so I'm still trying to figure that out. I think everyone's right though, it's really not hard to combine the GF and this diet. If you want to make the bread-realated recipes, etc, just substitute a GF mix for the wheat or whatever. Pluse theres lots of rice, potatoes, friuts and veggis to be had here. While I probaly can't help you much with IBS stuff (at least not yet ), I'd be glad to help if you have any Celiac q.s.

(also I noticed you said Celiac as "wheat free." You know that includes barley and rye, right?)
Good luck!

Oh my, I'm so confused new
      #222963 - 11/03/05 09:18 AM
Augie

I've had 4 different doctors look at this celiac situation. One tells me to avoid gluten at all costs because I do have celiac based on high antibodies, one told me to eat gluten because my biopsy was normal as was the specific blood test for celiac, and 2 others told me to do whatever I wanted! What the heck??? I don't know what to do and I'm stressing myself out like crazy.

Can I ask, are you still taking the miralax? My doctor wants to put me on that, but I don't want to go on it yet (for the reasons you posted) until I get my SFS up to see if that is good enough. Which SFS are you going to start with?

I'm glad you're doing well post-Gallbladder! The chronic D you talk about is exactly why my docs wont take it out....and because I don't get nausea. I'm just a mess of confusion! I just want to feel better and get some answers!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Oh my, I'm so confused new
      #222968 - 11/03/05 09:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Beth, it sure sounds like you don't have celiac and as you found no relief from a GF diet, that suggests you're not gluten/wheat intolerant either.

Re: Oh my, I'm so confused new
      #222973 - 11/03/05 09:54 AM
Aly

I agree wiht Linz-- people with celiac get GREAT relief on a GF diet-- even with IBS. They can still have attacks, but they aren't suffering from the process of getting wheat which is breaking down the villi. Also, I read somewhere (probably online which doesn't mean it is necessarily the truth) that if something is internally inflamed there can be false positives for celiac. Our gallbladders are so inflamed and diseased! But, honestly-- eating an IBS safe diet could really help--I feel like the GF stuff was tough on my belly...Having some nice sourdough bread now is such a great buffer when I'm not feeling great. It really isn't fair that you're been through it all...but I would do some real research (not just online) and really see what would happen if you tried some wheat. Just a warning--don't forget what stress can do to you. If you're worried so much about eating bread and then try a bit, chances are you could feel miserable...but it's something you'll have to figure out for yourself!
As for the miralax, I'm not on it now. I'm on nothing--and not sure thats the best either. I will probably order soem accacia and give it a try..hopefully it will help me out, but honestly--I don't know what/if anythig I need...so we'll see!

--------------------
IBS-A

they say it because .... new
      #222984 - 11/03/05 10:34 AM
Augie

I also have IBS. The doctor feels that I will definitely have symptoms if I don't follow a GF diet, but I may still when I do follow one because of the IBS. He said this is true even if I don't have celiac, but just the gluten intolerance.

He says the antibody test was extremely high and that is what he is basing on. For Pete's sake, who the heck should I believe out of the 4?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1745

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review