All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Would this Keebler Graham product be okay?
      #222669 - 11/02/05 01:40 AM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

I realized after I got home from the store that Heather Recommends: Keebler Original Grahams graham crackers

But I bought this variety:

Keebler HONEY Grahams graham crackers

Would these be okay?

I knew Heather recommended "Keebler Graham Crackers" but didn't notice it was not the "exact" recommendation from Heather's list, until I got home with the product and recompared it to the list of recommended brand names.

It is so so frustrating to keep screwing up with buying things I don't know what the heck I'm doing anymore.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Can you post the ingredients? new
      #222672 - 11/02/05 02:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And why not print out Heather's cheat sheet and take that shopping with you...check every label for triggers (inc. fat levels) and you should be fine.

Re: Can you post the ingredients? new
      #222764 - 11/02/05 10:56 AM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

Here is the main stuff:

Serving Size 4 Crackers
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 40
Total Fat 4g 7%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%

Ingredients: Enriched Flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin B1], riboflavin [vitamin B2], folic acid), sugar, vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean an/or cottonseed oil) graham flour, molasses, honey, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, contains two percent or less of calcium carbonate, salt, leavening (sodium bicarbonate, sodium acid phyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate), soy lecithin, artificial flavor.

know about the "possible" problem with HFCS, but all else seems ok and the HFCS is one of the last ingredients before the "contains two percent or less" remark.

#222791 - 11/02/05 12:48 PM
Linz

Well the HFCS could still be a problem...those ingredients lists are done by volume (or weight?)...either way HFCS would never be very high up that list but it's still a trigger. The artificial flavours would get me as well, but I think that's just me, not an IBS thing.

#237588 - 01/11/06 09:57 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

Linz:
I was reading the Keebler Original Graham Cracker ingredient list the other day and it lists "whole wheat (graham) flour" as an ingredient a third of the way down the list... This can't be good for us, right?

Graham flour is confusing new
      #237606 - 01/11/06 10:33 AM
Linz

Actually most IBSers are fine with it as it's high in SF and the IF bit is thoroughly ground down. Maybe be a bit cautious if you're very sensitive to IF and haven't had it since stabilising.

IF is NOT bad for us, it just has to be eaten with care.

Semi-contrarian opinion new
      #237623 - 01/11/06 11:36 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I classify graham flour as whole wheat flour, based on this Website. Since I'm sensitive to whole wheat, I avoid graham crackers.

That said, I certainly agree with Linz that IF is good for IBSers and needs to be eaten, albeit carefully. Since graham flour is the third ingredient in your graham crackers and since, as the Website points out, many commercial graham flours do not contain the wheat germ (although they do contain the bran), there may well be enough SF in graham crackers for you to tolerate them, regardless of how "whole" graham flour is. And they're certainly a yummy way to get a little IF in you.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Would this Keebler Graham product be okay? new
      #237639 - 01/11/06 12:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Keebler original grahams are safe. There might be another kind at your store that is too, maybe in natural foods. The IF content in grahams like keebler is too low to cause a problem. The total fiber is one gram and there is more sugar than graham flour. The fat percentage is 24%. Remember that 5% is only the fat percentage of what an average person needs in a day not the percentage of fat calories. To figure fat percentage multiply the fat grams times nine and divide that by the total calories.
You have to learn to make your eyes search for things like msg and hfcs when reading things at the store. It takes some time but you will get really fast at it eventually.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7837 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review