All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lomotil
      #222408 - 11/01/05 05:34 AM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Hello - Does anyone take Lomotil regularly? I take it everyday (it works wonders for me) but I am worried about the overall effects of it and was wondering if there were other people out there on this like me.

Also, to you regulars who follow Heather's diet, and have success, are you also medication free? Lomotil is the only one I take.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Medication free new
      #222421 - 11/01/05 07:02 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've been medication free (apart from the occasional Immodium after I cheat too much) for about 18 months now, all thanks to Heather's diet and Acacia.

Never taken Lomotil, sorry.

Me too! new
      #222448 - 11/01/05 08:05 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

But that's mostly because all the drugs my doctor tried either (A) didn't work at all, or (B) I had allergic reactions or nasty side effects to. I am mostly stable though using Acacia (1T+1t 2x per day right now) and peppermint caps (1 each morning + as needed), and of course following Heather's diet guidlines. Lomitil wasn't one of the drugs my doc tried me on, so no advice there.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Me too! new
      #222540 - 11/01/05 11:21 AM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Thanks so much for replying. It's really great to know that there may be a time that I can be medication free too!! Also, right now I am having a hard time getting over the mental block of starting a SFS. Like, I understand it will help me overall, but will I have to go the bathroom everytime I take it?

The worst part about Lomotil was (and this was several doctors ago) the first doctor who prescribed it told me I had IBS that was caused by stress and that everyone my age had stress and to just take the pills. He actually said - if you are going somewhere and are nervous about going to the bathroom just take a pill!! I am much smarter now and I go to a doctor who listens - but I often find myself taking Lomotil "just in case". Finding Heather's book and this board is making such a difference!

Re: SFS new
      #222555 - 11/01/05 11:43 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I didn't start taking Acacia until this June, when I was mostly stable on my own from the diet, but I still would have attacks or just feel icky. The Acacia has helped reduce my attacks and made me more regular. It doesn't make me go to the bathroom more, it makes my BMs more full and regular though. It doesn't work immediately, you have to gradually work yourself up to a dose where you feel comfortable. For me, I'm at 1 tablespoon+1teaspoon twice a day, which is about 19 g of SF a day.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: SFS new
      #222567 - 11/01/05 12:08 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yup, start a SFS low and increase gradually and unless you're unlucky enough to have an allergic reaction to that SFS (this is rare) you shouldn't have any issues.

Have you considered the hypno?

Re: Lomotil new
      #222621 - 11/01/05 03:56 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Hi,

I take Lomotil but just occasionally. Lately more than I'd like. I take it sometimes as a preventive but most of the time when I'm just going too much. Not really D but the urgency thing and just going a lot.

I try to stick to Immodium when I need something but Lomotil always does the trick for me.

Sandy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1916 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 635

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review