All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
'Good Bacteria' V's not eating Dairy...
      #222195 - 10/31/05 02:19 AM
Bellchops

Reged: 10/24/05

Im in Asia for 3 months, I don't get to a western country until February 2006. I have had my first IBS attack for a long time, and have only just discovered this amazing website!

The problem is that I can't get any of the supplements, ie. soluble fibre, IBS friendly vitamin supplements, tummy tea etc.
Ive found ginger here, which I am using to make teas, but the only way I can see to get the 'Good Bacteria' necessary is through the dairy based drink that is available here - Yakult.

Does the benefits of taking Yakult outweigh the negative effect of one small dairy drink a day? Or is it a case of trial and error?

Any help of advice appreciated!

Bella

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 'Good Bacteria' V's not eating Dairy... new
      #222199 - 10/31/05 03:44 AM
Bellchops

Reged: 10/24/05

Just to add, Im IBS-C, and haven't gone for days and have been quite bloated, which did lessen when I stopped eating soy!
The only laxative I have with me is Senna based, which I am going to try. My options are limited!
Also I have to eat at out all the time, so getting pureed veggies is quite difficult.

#222267 - 10/31/05 10:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

No, do not start drinking Yakult. I'd be suprised if you can't get probiotics anywhere. But if you can't, how about ordering SFS and other supplements over the net?

You need to introduce soy gradually as the body has to become accustomed to producing the enzyme needed to digest it. So maybe cut back for now and then increase your intake?

Also, veggies do have to be pureed. Cooking and finely chopping also helps minimise the effect of IF. And remember to always eat SF first.

Laxatives are NOT good for IBS. Try upping your IF intake with more safe veggies instead. And drink plenty of water.

Confusion, Linz new
      #222299 - 10/31/05 12:30 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Quote:

Also, veggies do have to be pureed

Did you mean this? Or did you mean they don't have to be pureed? Do you puree all your veggies...like peas, zucchini, etc?

Thanks

I think she meant "don't"... new
      #222309 - 10/31/05 12:46 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

...as cooking and finely chopping are good too for most veggies/most people.

Can't say for sure but I *don't* think Linz purees everything.

#222311 - 10/31/05 12:51 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Personally, I'd say that staying away from dairy far outweighs using probiotics (either in pills or those that you might get from dairy)... for me (and most I think) dairy is such a huge trigger, and probiotics don't work for everyone either. I just think that there's more BAD stuff (for IBS) in dairy products than good stuff (like healthy bacteria), and I wouldn't risk it. HTH, and good luck with keeping your IBS under control while you are traveling!

Aargh, yes, thank you Laurel! new
      #222317 - 10/31/05 01:22 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm all fibro-fogged...or is it the wine?

I meant DON'T! I don't puree anything except smoothies now!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1843

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review