All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
fruits and veggies
      #222107 - 10/30/05 09:32 AM
budahbelly

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: Virginia

Let me make sure i get it: with IF veggies, you need to cook and puree them(or maybe just cooking is ok?), and with IF fruits you need to peel them before eating them, while
with SF veggies and friuts you can eat them whole, raw, and with the skin (or do they need to be peeled or cooked too)? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fruits and veggies new
      #222129 - 10/30/05 01:09 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Some foods on the SF list state that they need to be cooked to be safe, eg. carrots, applesauce. Others are fine as they are.

In peeling fruit you are removing a large proportion of of the IF. In cooking or pureeing fruits or veggies you are minimising the effects of the IF whilst still getting it in your diet.

So you need to use a mixture of all of these to find a balance where you can feel good and get a healthy diet.

#222161 - 10/30/05 06:51 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I cook all veggies. All insolubles are pureed. I'm not kidding when I say I'm the food processor diva.

SF, however, I do not always puree. However, I confess that I often do. It depends on if I'm in the mood to chew.

I don't like things shooting out of my butt. I abhor gas, indigestion, cramps.

Plus, I'm a saucey type, have TMJ and terrible teeth. So, it's easier if I use an appliance to break down the tough stuff.

I do not cook all fruits. All skins are removed. IF fruits like berries are pureed. It's called a smoothie!

Kate, IBS-D.

My epiphany (sp?) new
      #222171 - 10/30/05 08:53 PM
budahbelly

I'm in college and i rarely if ever have time to cook, puree, etc. So wondering the halls of the grocery store tonight it hit me- BABY FOOD! Its all those fruits and veggies already all nice and mashed up. I got a few jars of pure, totally organic stuff- the only ingredients are the organic veggies/fruit and water. Perfect!... right?
PLEASE tell me this is ok, at least for some of the time, cause if not i just might lose it- well, not really but i could really use something fast and easy like this being ok. Any thoughts? (hopefully along the lines of "that'll work!"...) Thanks!

Re: That worked for me! new
      #222173 - 10/30/05 09:00 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

That's what I did in college too - Gerber! I feel like it's a good step toward getting IF from fresh fruits and vegetables. When you're feeling bad for so long, I understand needing to take "baby" steps to get that confidence back about eating certain foods. During breaks, I was able to just try eating whole fruits (peeled).

To be honest, I still eat jarred baby food on occasion. I recommend Gerber's mangos, peach cobbler, and papayas. Tasty!

#222179 - 10/30/05 09:29 PM
budahbelly

Quote:

I don't like things shooting out of my butt.

haha, that's classic...

Yup, lotsa people got on the baby food wagon! new
      #222181 - 10/30/05 09:35 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Yep, baby food is a good, easy idea for eating fruits and veggies.
A lot of people have had success with babyfood fruit stuff, less with the veggies but I think a few people like 'em. Do a board search to see if you can find specific posts, someone might have mentioned their favourites or something.

I personally didn't like the babyfood I tried, I think the consistency doesn't agree with me, hee hee. I have been told, though, that some brands are a lot better than the others so give a few kinds a try and see how you get on!

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

YAY!! new
      #222184 - 10/30/05 09:51 PM
budahbelly

Good answer! Haha but really, glad someone else has found baby food as a good way to do it (though i'm a little disspointed that apparently i didnt just come up with a never before heard of potential breakthrough for time-lacking IBSers... j/k!). So did it sit well with your tummy?
I will plan on giving it a whirl...
Thanks!

re: the fruits in particular new
      #222185 - 10/30/05 10:02 PM
budahbelly

So the bulk of fiber in IF fruits is in the peel- so wouldnt one NOT want to peel the fruit, since thats where the fiber is (is there much/any in the rest of the fruit)? Ive never pureeed anything, but while I can see how pureeing would be easy with berries and such, I cant imagine in would work with big, hard things like apples and pears. Whats the best way to eat those? Whole, just after lots of SF?

Re: My epiphany (sp?) new
      #222197 - 10/31/05 03:35 AM
Wind

It's totally more than okay--a lot of people use/eat "baby food" fruits. (The veggies taste gross, though!)

Lol! I still love those peaches!!!

Applesauce is babyfood fruit!!!

So, in response, yes...it's more than okay!!!

Just read labels very carefully.

Kate, IBS-D.

I'd rather not have chunky poo--n.t. new
      #222198 - 10/31/05 03:37 AM
Wind

Re: I'd rather not have chunky poo--n.t. new
      #222284 - 10/31/05 11:44 AM
budahbelly

i may be being a blond here, but what is "n.t." ? I keep seeing it on posts...

Re: n.t.= no text! --n.t. new
      #222294 - 10/31/05 12:19 PM
Wind

#222313 - 10/31/05 12:56 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey buddahbelly... you have some great responses here, and yup definitely go for the baby food if you want to!

This is a really great thread from a while back re: fruits and veggies that I thought you (and others) might find helpful (I have it bookmarked ): "Fruits, veggies, SF, IF, peel, chop, cook (long post)".

Yo! Retrograde!!! new
      #222363 - 10/31/05 05:45 PM
Wind

Speaking of pureed veggies--you've got to try putting raw mushrooms in the food processor prior to cooking.

It's most interesting. Just use low speed. Mega potential with food processed mushrooms!

Kate, IBS-D.

been there...done that....still do it sometimes! new
      #222365 - 10/31/05 06:07 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I also found that when I was trying to add some protein, but couldn't handle meats, I tried the baby food meats mixed with steamed rice. It needed some salt, but other than that, it was one step closer to "normal."

Hey Wind new
      #222371 - 10/31/05 07:16 PM
budahbelly

Since youre the "food processor diva"- - would you give me your take on what i wrote in part of this thread about IF fruits?:

So the bulk of fiber in IF fruits is in the peel- so wouldnt one NOT want to peel the fruit, since thats where the fiber is (is there much/any in the rest of the fruit)? Ive never pureeed anything, but while I can see how pureeing would be easy with berries and such, I cant imagine in would work with big, hard things like apples and pears. Whats the best way to eat those? Whole, just after lots of SF?

Thanks!

Re: Hey Wind new
      #222381 - 10/31/05 08:43 PM
Wind

For me, DEFINITELY PEELED!!! I cook pears prior to pureeing them. (same method as making applesauce) (it's a homemade babyfood tip)

I would say, though, to be on the safe side, at least peel the apple or pear and finely chop. To be really safe, bake/steam/poach the pear. It's really fast/easy to do in the microwave!

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2955 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review