All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
These are pretty expensive. new
      #222509 - 11/01/05 10:05 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

You can find them at most HFS, or Whole Foods, Wild Oats...

Do you take them with snacks? My breakfast does contain IF so you think I should take it with that too?

Let us know if you try another brand and if they work as well for you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does this mean Heather thinks we should take digestive enzymes? new
      #222524 - 11/01/05 10:46 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey Beth!

Sorry if I confused you.

Just wanted to put this out there:

IBS Fall Sprawl Disclaimer
The IBS Fall Sprawl is being organized and run by members of the Help for IBS message board community. It is completely independent of HelpForIBS.com and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC. The IBS Fall Sprawl Planners and Heather Van Vorous cannot warranty or guarantee any outcome or success of this event.

Which basically means that we (Kandee, Jen, Shell, and I) got these samples...Heather was not promoting them.

So, I tried them on my own and liked the results.

Re: These are pretty expensive. new
      #222536 - 11/01/05 11:02 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks for the heads up on the price...I'm pretty cheap so I will have to look for a more affordable enzyme!

At first I took them with snacks, but my snacks are usually all SF and never give me problems. But, my dinners (which a lot of times turn into leftovers-lunches) tend to have more IF or maybe more fat (not over the limit, but more than snacks/breakfast), so I just started taking with them. I didn't want to waste them on the snacks if I didn't need them!

Oh, and I do have a little IF with breakfast. My standard breakfast almost every morning is Cheerios with some dried cranberries and acacia and rice milk.

May I add, also... new
      #222598 - 11/01/05 02:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Cooked foods are enzyme deficient, i.e. the enzymes required to digest the food are "cooked" out. Thus, alot of people lose the ability to effectively breakdown the component of the food.

Also, people with certain immune disorders are often enzyme deficient and respond better to nutrition with enyzyme supplementation.

Kate, IBS-D.

Melissa new
      #222638 - 11/01/05 06:44 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What effect do the enzymes exactly have on you? What does it help for you? How do you know they are helping? What's different?

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Melissa new
      #222673 - 11/02/05 03:45 AM
*Melissa*

I keep wondering if they are really working, or if it's one of those psychological things that I'm taking them and I just THINK they're working! LOL I don't know. So, I have to admit, I've kinda been pushing my luck to see if they're really working. And, so far so good. I've tried eating things that would normally give me gas and loose stools and nothing has happened. I also often get what I call my "creepy-crawly feeling" in my gut. It feels like a mouse is running around down there or something...I hate that feeling and it makes me feel like "something" is about to happen. And not good. Although I don't get that feeling that often anymore (before enzymes I mean) due to following EFI and hypno, and since I've been taking them, I don't remember having the creepy-crawly feeling even once. Last night I ate chili, which is a typical creepy-crawly feeling food for me, and I felt fine the rest of the night and I still do this morning.

I've been talking to Kandee about them since the Vegas trip, and she really believes in them also. She's been taking them for awhile now (not Q-Zymes, but a different brand) and she swears by them.

My take on Digestive Enzymes.. new
      #222840 - 11/02/05 04:36 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I know what you mean about that creepy-crawly feeling in your tummy Melissa. I had that as well before I started taking digestive enzymes on a regular basis.

As far as I'm concerned there are a lot of over priced digestive enzymes out there that add unnecessary things like herbs and "propriety blends" which is a fancy way of getting away with not having to reveal the ingredients.
The only ones needed for most meals is: Protease for Protein, Amylase for Carbohydrates and Lipase for Fats. That's it..except for the exceptional galactosemics used in Beano when one consumes gas producing foods or supplements. We don't need lactase since we don't, or rather shouldn't, consume dairy.

It doesn't surprise me that we do well using digestive enzymes on this diet since the diet does not promote the eating of much raw food which already has natural food enzymes built in which aren't distroyed until the food is cooked.

I would like to see more research done on these for people with IBS...plus those findings put into the research library here.

I DO know that people with Celiac disease are encouraged to use digestive enzymes when possible and the people I've talked to with CD who take them swear by them.

I've noticed that some of the digestive enzyme brands like Q-Zyme and Digest Gold add a probiotic and I think that may be helpful since it eliminates the need to take yet another pill or liquid. But other than that I stick to what is most cost affective for me in the way of digestive enzymes...that is until more viable information comes out that indicates I would benefit from the addition of anything other than those 3 enzymes I mentioned. Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4899 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4863

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review