All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
My experience with the digestive enzymes new
      #222289 - 10/31/05 12:07 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I am IBS-C with pain, bloat, gas, etc. I have been using Digest Gold enzymes for about 10 months and haven't found them to do anything. I have all the symptoms still!

Why do I keep taking them? Because I'm too scared to stop. Is it possible to feel even worse?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My experience with the digestive enzymes new
      #222339 - 10/31/05 03:22 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I went and bought some today and they haven't done a thing for me, yet, either. I don't know if it was the digest gold that was making me feel better but it's worth a shot. My husband seems to think they helped me feel a little bit better than I do right now. But, I took the Digest Gold between meals, not with meals, and I also took 2 Gastro after I ate anything. It's not helping me right now, though. I have been taking the Gastro for the past 2 years and usually they help but they aren't helping right now at all......
This Sucks!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: My experience with the digestive enzymes new
      #222342 - 10/31/05 03:49 PM
Amalia

Reged: 10/31/05

I am new to this board so I am not quite sure if I am doing this right. I have had IBS-D since 1999. I thought it was under control but since Friday, 10-29-05 the horror days are starting again. I have had watery diarrhea since actually since Saturday and am following some of Heather's tips. Peppermint teas, took Imodium but the watery diarrhea is still continuing. I was in Mexico the week of October 24th and I did really well, but when I came back into the States is when I starting having the problem. I don't know whether I contracted something or whether I was feeling so good that I ate the wrong things. I am becoming depressed again, I just can't keeping going on with this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: IBS-C "attack?" new
      #222352 - 10/31/05 04:16 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Hello.....I am not "Fishnets", but I can tell you what an IBS-C attack is like. You get SEVERE on and off cramping and nausea. It's like having the flu without vomiting. It lasts for a couple of hours and when it's finally over, you feel like you just got over the flu. Then it takes a half to almost a full day after to recover where you actually have an appetite again.

I can't imagine what could feel worse C or D. It seems like D would give some relief because you can "get rid of" what's in your system, but then again I can't speak for IBS-D people.

Carol

Oh no.... new
      #222361 - 10/31/05 05:27 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I had an episode of "D" which I brought on myself by putting Xylitol in my tea without looking at the label...the thought of living with "D" on a day to day basis makes me sad. My heart goes out to those with "D", I would rather deal with "C" anyday.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: IBS-C "attack?" new
      #222565 - 11/01/05 12:04 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Hello.....I am not "Fishnets", but I can tell you what an IBS-C attack is like. You get SEVERE on and off cramping and nausea. It's like having the flu without vomiting. It lasts for a couple of hours and when it's finally over, you feel like you just got over the flu. Then it takes a half to almost a full day after to recover where you actually have an appetite again.

I can't imagine what could feel worse C or D. It seems like D would give some relief because you can "get rid of" what's in your system, but then again I can't speak for IBS-D people.

Carol

I don't get nausea(well, not from the IBS, I do get nausea from my other digestive probs), for me an attack is lots of pain, bloating, and gas. Just feel miserable The first year that I had IBS, basiclly everyday was an attack, so I can see how at first it can be hard to know what an attack means when you're just in pain ALL the time!

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Here it is .. sorry for the delay new
      #222802 - 11/02/05 02:14 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
sorry it took me a while to reply. With 2 kids now I really don't get to the computer as much as I'd like.

here is an example:

I walk my dogs for 30-45 mins first thing each morning

Breakfast: glass of benefiber followed by oatmeal~ with some chopped mango through it.

Morning Tea - I bake lots of Heather's breads in bulk and freeze them. I usually have a slice of one of those. (favourite is brown sugar banana)If i don't have any safe breads or muffins I might have one of the following:

baked corn chips
pretzels
banana
baked ritz crackers
low fat soy yoghurt (I'll always have a couple of crackers or some other SF first)

Lunch: usually a sandwhich on white bread consisting of either turkey or chicken breast, tuna or salmon (in springwater not oil) with avocado, small amount of lettuce, fat free mayo.

After that I might have a small piece of peeled fruit such as peaches, pears, apple etc. Or maybe a small slice of one of Heather's safe cakes. i alwasy have her peppermint fudge cake around, everyone loves it.

Afternoon tea is usually similiar to morning tea. Somtimes I'll have a bowl of cornflakes or rice bubbles with low fat soy milk.

Before dinner I laways have a glass of Benefiber.
Dinner is usually a recipe I've found in heather's books or on this site or one I've adapted (you get really good at that). It is usually chicken or turkey breast or fish, never red meat (it is really constipating). I always accompany it with either rice, pasta or potato.
last night I made a chicken breast casserole, tomato based. We had mashed potato (no butter) and carrots and well steamed green beans with it.

If I have dessert it might be one of the safe cakes or brownies you'll find recipes for on this site with a little bit of soy ice cream (low fat).

I hope this helps. The problem with constipation is that doctors always tell you to go for high fibre things like multi grain bread and raw vegies which unfortunately make you feel worse because they are high in insoluble fibre instead of soluble. It's very important to get the insoluble fibre but you have to do it carefully by combining it with soluble fibre as a base. Even when I eat my dinner I always eat the Sf items first like the potato and pumpkin before I touch the beans for example.

it all sounds complicated to you now probably but I can tell you that it does become habit and second nature and so much easier. Sometimes I miss other foods but when I remember what they did to me I'm glad to be without them.

As for the stress and sleep ~ can't remember if I mentioned this before but the hypno CD's really helped me too. You have to stick with them same as you do with the diet and exercise but it's worth it.

keep posting your questions ~ there's lots of people who can sympathise and help.

If you want some support I'm happy for you to email me bkgarlick@internode.on.net I tend to check that a bit more frequently than the posts.

Also, people worry that they'll put on weight with the carb base but don't worry ~ I weigh 56 kgs (I think that is about 120lbs?) and my weight did not change with the change in diet. It's a really heart healthy low fat diet.

Best of luck
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Here it is .. sorry for the delay new
      #222944 - 11/03/05 08:19 AM
budahbelly

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: Virginia

Thank you so much, that was very helpful. I'll get on trying that kind of thing and hopefully have a good update soon!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11093

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review