All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
IBS-C "attack?" new
      #222030 - 10/29/05 04:24 PM
budahbelly

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: Virginia

Good points Augie... I know personally if I ate oatmeal more then 1-2 days in a row, I would get an attack.

Fishnets- I see you're IBS-C and you say oatmeal can give you an attack, but what exactly constitutes an "attack" with IBS-C ( while with D. its obvious)? Is it sudden prolonged C. when things had been moving well, bloating, gas? If its an onset of prolonged C., isnt it hard to tell what exactly it was of what you ate that caused it? I'm alwys bloated/gassy, and often stopped up so i guess i wouldnt know what my attacks are like/when/from what i get them. I'd like to know so i can start paying better attention and figure out what foods exactly bother me! thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

an example of your typical daily eating? new
      #222032 - 10/29/05 04:36 PM
budahbelly

KinOz, thanks a lot. So reassuring to hear from another IBS-C that you've gotten better (there is hope! haha). I'll work on the things you mentioned. I already exercise a lot, which i find helps somewhat, but not with the bloat. Stress and sleep is a big issue for me since i'm in college, but i'm working on those.
I wondered if you would give me an example of what you typically eat in a day that you find helps you? I think it would really help to see what another C.er eats that has been working. Thanks so much for the support!

Thanks everyone! new
      #222035 - 10/29/05 04:47 PM
budahbelly

Thanks so much to all who replied! It's so nice to get advice from people who know what it's like, especially since I do feel so lost. All this can be so overwhelming. Last night i broke down out of sheer frustration and a sense of hopelessness, but y'all have made me feel alot better, like there light at the end of the tunnel. Patience is definitly not one fo my strongsuits , but I know it's important so I'm gonna work on that and your other suggestions. I really appreciate the advice and support- good luck to all of you!

Re: about those enzymes... new
      #222060 - 10/29/05 07:15 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I take SISU Multi Enzymes. Here's a website with the info./details: http://www.sisu.com/en/health/links . They're full spectrum.

There are other brands/companies as well. Explore your health food store. Alot of people on the boards swear by DIGESTIVE ADVANTAGE. I've never taken that one.

Patience. Honestly, it really does take time. I know, personally though that ENZYMES have really eliminated gas/bloat/pain. When I refer to ENZYMES, I mean something more potent than Beano. Although, that really works for IF foods you might have problems with! (I keep that handy!)

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (10/29/05 07:18 PM)

Re: Thanks everyone! new
      #222062 - 10/29/05 07:22 PM
Sunni

Reged: 10/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi All!

I am also IBS-C, and have been reading this thread...I have learned so much. I have not added back any IF really, thought it was too soon, but obviously not. I have been following the diet for a couple of weeks, now, but with pretty much all SF foods. I also take Benefibe three times daily.

I'm wondering, how much IF foods to re-introduce at what rate? I also have EXTREME gas and bloating EVERYDAY! It is beyond frustrating..so I really do feel your pain. I also am not the most patient person, and want to get better now.

Any other advice to stability would be appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Sunni

Yeah, I forgot to mention... new
      #222072 - 10/29/05 08:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It took me just about a year to get to a point where I can call myself "stabilized". And yes, it was totally frustrating, but now that I'm there, it really, truly was/is worth all the aggravation and tweaking with the diet. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but unfortunately, it's not always a short tunnel! LOL Hang in there!

Re: about those enzymes... new
      #222073 - 10/29/05 08:56 PM
budahbelly

I looked on the site and see there are regular SISU multi enzymes, extra strength, and plus- so you just take the regular ones? How often/when with regard to meals do you take them? Do you know if they might be problematic with other medicines? Guess i'll just have to ask my doc. Thanks so much- I'm definitly gonna give them a try!

Re: Give yourself some more time... new
      #222074 - 10/29/05 09:00 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Remember, this isn't a quick fix. It sounds like you're doing everything right, it's just going to take a while for your GI tract to "calm" down. Your bloat probably has to do with the fact you're getting in more fiber and eating foods you're not used to. Also, it may be that you were malnutritioned and to begin eating new foods and with more frequency, you're body is just adjusting.

I'll try to explain what happens: When you're not eating certain foods regularly your digestive systems doesn't produce enough of the enzymes needed to digest them. That's why you introduce them in a little at time-- to build up a tolerance by increasing the production of those necessary enzymes. While your body is adjusting, you may experience more gas and bloating because these foods are not getting fully digested and end up in the large intestine where they are broken down by bacteria and create gas. HOWEVER, this effect lessens because, as you continue to eat these foods, your digestive tract starts producing more of those helpful enzymes. This is especially obvious with beans, although they're not something you want to try right away and you want to make sure when (or if) you start eating them that they're pureed, mechanically broken so they're easier for you to digest.

Kate/Wind had a great suggestion with the enzyme supplements. She knows her stuff!

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (10/29/05 09:17 PM)

Re: Michelle new
      #222077 - 10/29/05 09:14 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, it does take a while to stabilize! And it's the IF that gets me everytime. Actually, it's not the IF, but it's the way I eat IF foods: too much at one time! It's taken me years to figure out the balance, and even now I mess it up. I don't have any exact measure (so, please, no one ask me about SF-IF ratios )- I've just had to learn my limits and always remember that as a D the more SF the better!

I was stable for a few years--I actually thought I had this thing beat, but then I got some bug going around the office and it's taken me more than a year to recover.

Anyway, sorry to go on so long. I hope you get stable soon and that you stay that way as long as possible.

Re:I spoke too soon!
      #222099 - 10/30/05 07:33 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I ate some applesauce last night at about 7:00pm and had one mother of an attack. Nausea, followed by horrible abdominal pains and feeling like I had to go and nothing would come out! This went on until 12:00am!!!! Now, I'm even more backed up because I had to end up taking 5 pepto to keep the nausea down so I wouldn't throw up!!!!!!! Wow, I will NEVER AGAIN IN MY LIFE EVER EAT APPLESAUCE!!!!!!!! That hurt really bad..........I haven't tried to eat yet, today. I didn't get to sleep until 2:00am and got up at 11:00 and took my Citrucel. We'll see how today goes!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3944 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11149

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review