All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about Popcorn and Icecream
      #221643 - 10/27/05 04:07 PM
rapt

Reged: 09/29/05

I am recently diagnosed with IBS. The acacia fiber has helped tremendously... so much so that I got the local health food store to carry it. I also make sure I follow the soluble fiber first rule. I am broken hearted about not being able to eat lots of foods. I am skinny so I never had to deny myself anything so it's hard for me (yeah I know bring on the violins). I read that popcorn is a nono yet I can eat it (the 95% fat free butter Orville or Pop secret) with no ill effects. Thank God because I LOVE it. I was wondering if anyone can eat icecream? I watch my kids eat it and drool. I am afraid to eat it tho' especially now that I am feeling better. I know everyone is different but I was wondering what fellow IBSers have experienced with popcorn and icecream. Also what junk food candy have people been able to eat?! Life is short...........

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Popcorn and Icecream new
      #221644 - 10/27/05 04:10 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I can eat twizzlers, usually.......um, what else.....no popcorn for me, though. It made me sick even before I had IBS.....I eat soy, tofu and rice icecream without too many ill effects. The Rice Dream is the best on my tummy. Tastes just as good as the real deal, to me. That's about all the junk I can tolerate right now and in very tiny portions.....but when I was stable I ate a tub of Rice Dream icecream a week.
Good Luck! Glad you're doing well!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#221646 - 10/27/05 04:12 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I can also handle spice drops okay and jelly beans. Okay, any of the jellies, usually except for the sour ones. They are safe with me. Definitely NO CHOCOLATE! Hurts me Bad!!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: BAD IDEA new
      #221653 - 10/27/05 04:20 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Popcorn is one of the harshest forms of insoluble fibre you can get. I'm actually shocked that you can tolerate it. I miss it dearly but it gives me a terrible attack every single time. Ice cream - also a big no no. Dairy and full of fat. Try soy or rice versions. They're quite edible. I wasn't a fan of the rice kinds, but to each their own.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#221685 - 10/27/05 08:19 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You couldn't PAY me to touch ice cream, ever again. It's one of the few things I miss now and then, but it is so so SO totally not worth the agony. Try some of the soy- or rice-based "ice creams", you might be surprised. I really love Rice Dream; it has more of a frozen-yogurt consistency than true ice cream, but it's still really good at satisfying that craving.

As for the popcorn... I know there are some people who can eat it without problems. Really, it's not so much that it's a "no-no" as it's one of the toughest insoluble fiber foods to digest. So if you can digest it, chances are good that you're getting a good amount of soluble fiber in your diet and you're able to handle it, and to that I say good for you! Just skip the butter (dairy + fat = bad!).

Oh yeah, and other junk food... new
      #221688 - 10/27/05 08:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, the IBS-safe sweets in the recipe index are a no-brainer, and there's everything from cakes to cookies to pies, etc etc. I also like pudding (Jello brand mixes are sometimes dairy-free, read the ingredients) made with soy milk and topped with Cool Whip (avoid CW if you can't tolerate HFCS).

Candy - since 'tis the season: twizzlers, smarties, gumdrops, dots, good 'n plenty, crows, gummies of any kind, altoids sours, spree, licorice (I like Panda brand - but be careful if you're prone to D, licorice is mildly laxative), ginger chews, candy corn, pixie stix, mike & ikes, swedish fish, a lot of hard candies... can you tell I like my sweets? Hehe. But again, if you're sensitive to HFCS, read the ingredients before indulging!

The only chocolate I can recommend safely is Junior Mints. They're dairy and HFCS free, and they have 3g of fat per serving.

#221712 - 10/28/05 05:37 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Lord, just thinking about popcorn gives me cramps!

I agree with all the people recommending non-dairy ice cream. I can have a small bit of the dairy stuff if I'm willing to fart for a day (and I was rock-solid stable beforehand), but I can have a nice serving of soy or rice ice cream and feel no ill effects so long as I had a low-fat meal beforehand.

I eat chocolate the Heather way: small amounts of very high quality dark chocolate after a high-SF, low-fat meal. I probably eat it 5 times a week, but it takes me two weeks to finish a bar! Outside of that, I stick to hard or gummi candies which have no fat or dairy in them.

--AC, now craving candy corn!

I eat popcorn too! new
      #221725 - 10/28/05 07:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It's does make me a bit bloated but I've always been surprised that that's it for me as IF used to be sooo difficult for me. But popcorn's okay. Weird! Dairy is not tho, so it's best to make it at home - that way you know exactly what's gone on it.

And ice cream is a baddie . Try the soy & rice stuff - I never liked it but you might do.

My big indulgence is dark chocolate...the really good stuff!

And as for junk food, last night I had pizza (veggie, not oily, no cheese, but oh so yummy) for dinner and the night before I had a veggie burger and (low-fat) oven fries for dinner!

It's not very junky, but I'm a recent convert to soy yogurts. I hadn't had one since I first went over to soy about ten years ago when they were pretty gross, but now they're fab! So yummy and creamy, they seem like a real treat, but they're totally safe and good for me.

And PB&J always seems like junk food for me, but I get a safe PB with no added sugar (note watch the fat levels with PB) and a jam with no added sugar (note, I'm staying away from sugar b/c of Fibro NOT IBS) and it doesn't bother me AT ALL!

Haagen Daaz Chocolate Sorbet is the best!-nt new
      #221728 - 10/28/05 07:05 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#221806 - 10/28/05 10:12 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Well, this is very interesting. We're all soooo different!
I can't touch popcorn, it kills me. But to all those who can: EAT SOME FOR ME!! I miss it. Ice cream isn't a problem though. So, for all those who can't eat ice cream, I'll be sure to eat some for you!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#221811 - 10/28/05 10:25 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I eat popcorn -- though I have stayed with home airpopped corn.

I can't do ice cream though. It bloats me up and I can get D from it too. I do the soy stuff every now and then -- but it is expensive and fairly high in fat.

I snack on necco wafers, junior mints, baked lays... that kind of thing. Usually I just make stuff from the recipe board.

#221912 - 10/28/05 05:43 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Hello- Just like you my body can handle popcorn with no problems, but Ice Cream is a little different. I can have 2 or 3 bites and then that is it. I am a mom of a toddler who loves ice-cream so I too sit there and watch him and the only taste I get is when I have to lick the cone:) My body can not handle dairy to well so ice-cream is on my no no list! Good Luck!

#221923 - 10/28/05 06:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

My body cannot handle soy ice cream. It always causes a huge attack, so I avoid it.

However, I LOVE all fruit popsicles. They're fatfree, too.
Del Monte makes some really good ones.

Re: Popcorn. I love fatfree Smart Pop snack packs (about the same weight/size as a bowl of cereal). However, I must be really really stable and pop a couple beano. Corn has always caused problems for me.

I think I like the smell of it better than popcorn itself. (I don't like the smell of movie theatre popcorn--the transfatty smell alone triggers an attack.)

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1449 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2648

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review