Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
had to start an IBS diet ASAP and need help with beverage
      #220716 - 10/21/05 08:37 PM
catnapt

Reged: 10/21/05
Loc: NH

hi
ok i admit it, i have not read all of the wonderful information that is available here, yet (have dial up, its so slow!!) i promise i will read it soon, and if the answer to my problem is already addressed, my sincere apologies!

i have IBS-A but currently am dealing with severe C.
i also have GERD and TMJ *and* take several meds that influence my diet.

i must drink a lot of liquids (because of a med i am on) in fact, i am always thirsty
my GERD has not been under control, so water- esp when my stomach is empty- has not been helpful

i ordinarily drink a half gallon to a gallon of MILK (skim) per day.
this is obviously not working for me.

i have drastically cut back on the milk, am drinking red (rooibos) tea with just a tiny bit of milk, and water when i can tolerate it.
i also had soups two days in a row
and i increased the soluble fiber in my diet by adding benefiber to anything i drink (including soup) and i had a small yogurt with benefiber in it.

although i am obviously not yet following the diet to the letter, i am AMAZED! at how much better i feel, not to mention that i have er, basically cleaned out my colon in two days, whew! i needed that!

but...........i still have a lot of gas, and am now bordering on the IBS-D

and i am VERY thirsty!!

are there any other safe drinks i can have?
i can not drink OJ due to GERD (and well, i dont like it)

i do not tolerate high fructose corn syrup at all, gives me chest pains (doc said thats an irritated nerve)

one other doc said not to drink fruit juices if i could help it.

what else is there?
i like to have both cold and hot drinks- i do NOT , luckily, like anything carbonated.

i would live on milk if i could!

i guess thats all, i just want to let you know up front, i may have to nix some suggestions due to the various other conditions governing what i eat

and last but definately not least
I AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!
i have suffered so long and the only advice given to me has been to "increase fiber"

thats it!!

thanks!
catnapt

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: had to start an IBS diet ASAP and need help with beverage new
      #220720 - 10/22/05 03:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Buy the book! It's so cool and then you won't pay for re-reading a page!

Try slowly introducing soy milk. And herbal teas (not peppermint or ginger)...chamomile & fennel are ood and can actually help the GERDs.

#220734 - 10/22/05 08:04 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

For iced tea, I like Honeybush tea (usually found next to the Roobios/Redbush tea). There are also a couple of hibiscus-based teas that make outrageously good iced teas: Tazo's Passion and Twining's Sunset Rose.

Be a little cautious, though. I tolerate iced beverages fine (except on an empty stomach), but some IBSers always have problems with them. You might try your "iced" tea just cool out of the fridge rather than with actual ice in it.

If you like Roobios, here's a thread with recommendations for various flavored Roobios teas, including an on-line source that will let you order sampler packs. And you should be able to use soy or rice or almond milk in your tea. I've never tried almond milk, but it sounds like something that would be fabulous in tea. Here's a recent thread on almond milk.

You can do a Search on "tea" and find other recommendations, but I know that might be a little painful with a dial-up connection.

And I agree with Linz - see if you can find the books. Your local library may have one or both of them.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#220739 - 10/22/05 08:29 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Welcome! Glad to see that you're already seeing results from the changes you've made! Good for you, for taking care of yourself and making the right choices for your health.

Have you tried replacing your skim milk with almond/rice/soy milk? There are so many varieties and flavors, you should be able to find one you like. Some of my favorites: Chocolate Almond Breeze is DELICIOUS; Rice Dream Rice Beverage is great on cereal or used in recipes; Soy Dream Vanilla is great on its own, mixed in smoothies, or to make homemade chai or chocolate milk. Ooh, and VitaSoy Original Creamy, I think, is really tasty and creamy, great on cereal too.

Teeccino is a coffee replacement beverage I really, really enjoy. It comes in different flavors, Vanilla Nut and Mocha, for example, and you prepare it as you would with regular ground coffee. Since you have GERD and can't drink peppermint, how about other herbal teas like fennel or chamomile?

I don't drink juices either or anything carbonated (although I used to really like Sprite, 7up, etc).

If you increase your fiber too fast, you will experience more gas and perhaps even D. Once your body adjusts to the amount of fiber, you shouldn't have D and you should experience less gas. It's great that you're taking a SFS (Benefiber)!

Take care!

Re: had to start an IBS ASAP- thanks Maria new
      #220763 - 10/22/05 03:05 PM
catnapt

for your suggestions! i have tried soy milk, did not like it, one of the rice milks was ok, but i would not want a lot of it, but almond milk?? mmmmm, that sounds good, i will have to see if i can find any.

i think i may have mis read things, i thought it was ok to add as much soluble fiber as possible, without any problems- and that it was the insoluble fiber that caused the gas and bloating.
soluble fiber can, too? sorry, i should re read the info already available, i must have over looked that.

i cant drink chamomile tea (allergic) but i am going to see about fennel.

thanks again for all the great tips, i will look for those different milks, esp the almond. i am thirsty now!!

#220764 - 10/22/05 03:09 PM
catnapt

thanks for the ideas! i will have to find some honeybush tea, that sounds good
i really do not care for iced tea, in fact, if it does not have some kind of milk in it, i dont' much like it at all (for teas that is)
i will check out those other threads, thanks!!

oh, if i let myself get too thirsty, i will want to drink something ice cold, but i have found that it can cause a lot of problems for me. in the ayerveda diets, i am supposed to even drink my water warm or even hot!
so i will be careful with chilled drinks

Maria new
      #220765 - 10/22/05 03:45 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Why the new nom de plume? Not feeling exclamation point-ish anymore?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Maria new
      #220783 - 10/22/05 09:04 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yesh, Maria!Maria! was getting to me. I'm still feeling !, so maybe I'll change to SPASMTASTICAL!

Re: Maria new
      #220822 - 10/23/05 10:18 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Wow, that looks so emphatic now. You know, I keep thinking short-story anthology when I look at your new screen name, but I think I am just having reverbations from the "Catfantastic" (? I think) fantasy anthologies.

I hate my screen name -- the first name + string of numbers seems so meaningless, like a userid kicked back from Yahoo or Hotmail when the name you really want has been taken. Not really sure what to change it to, though -- the one I wanted was taken. Do old unused screen names eventually get deleted from the database so people can use them again? Or once taken, always taken?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2934 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review